...And once in awhile, it might actually be a poor attempt at a mating call.
- In group settings it might be to impress or entertain the other men.
- Sometimes it can just be a desperate cry for some attention of any sort.
- It can even be good intentions, "do onto others as you'd want done to you".
But while the last might be the least common, I think it carries the rest on it's back:
- The fact it's thought of as a mating call is what makes it a show of gusto between guys.
- The fact it's a mating call makes it more acceptable for men, unlike shouting "Look at me!"
- The fact it's a mating call is what makes it conceivable as worthy of envy or desirable.