User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #DudesGreetingDudes

Permabanned Array

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    I think there may be a multitude of reasons why men catcall to strangers (women) on the street, and one of those reasons may be a "mating call".
    I agree:
    • In group settings it might be to impress or entertain the other men.
    • Sometimes it can just be a desperate cry for some attention of any sort.
    • It can even be good intentions, "do onto others as you'd want done to you".
    ...And once in awhile, it might actually be a poor attempt at a mating call.

But while the last might be the least common, I think it carries the rest on it's back:
    • The fact it's thought of as a mating call is what makes it a show of gusto between guys.
    • The fact it's a mating call makes it more acceptable for men, unlike shouting "Look at me!"
    • The fact it's a mating call is what makes it conceivable as worthy of envy or desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Good point. If you wouldn't like being approached because of the feelings it evokes, then the same consideration should be extended to women.

I had a friend (male) who couldn't understand why it was a big deal, if the men were not being overly aggressive. He is, in my books, a very decent guy. And I know that he does not partake in such things, but didn't see anything overtly wrong with other men who do (the milder versions of catcalling). So, I turned it around, and told him, the very reason(s) that stops him from partaking in it, are likely the very reasons women, on the receiving end, do not appreciate it.

I think a part of the issue is that there is a lack of "evidence", a lack of direct impact of such behaviour, so it might slip under some men's radar, about what that really means/feels like, for some women. Most women, when they hear it, they ignore and keep walking. So, some men might interpret that as, "oh well, no harm, no foul. Next time..." But that woman might be feeling a whole lot of discomfort, internally, that is not always explicitly indicated by her (lack of) response. It doesn't mean that they do not exist or are not a real problem. I think the idea of putting yourself in the other's shoes, the empathy factor, is key.
    It has never crossed my mind to turn my discomfort into some sort of crusade. Males who catcall are idiots, but I'm not convinced that behavior is particularly noteworthy. It's one of millions of annoying, stupid, and inconsiderate things that people do.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

I love manly affection. It is one of my favorite things. And I am a bit bummed that it is so rare in our culture.

I know that's not really the point of this.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.
    Likes Qre:us liked this post