User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Virgin Galactic Crash, at least one dead.

Addicting Info – BREAKING: Virgin Galactic Private Spacecraft Crash – One Pilot Dead

What does this mean for the future of space travel for all?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I don't think it means much. Pilot dies in test aircraft. Not the first time this has happened.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I don't think it means much. Pilot dies in test aircraft. Not the first time this has happened.
    Is that how potential customers of this joy-ride service will see it?

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Yes.
    tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers
    and you want to take her with you, to the hard land of the winter

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I think similar questions were raised in the 40s and 50s related to air travel. People got over it.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Addicting Info – BREAKING: Virgin Galactic Private Spacecraft Crash – One Pilot Dead

What does this mean for the future of space travel for all?
    You didn't really expect something as complicated as commercial space travel to go off without a hitch or at least 1 fatality? Since when has that ever happened? The project will continue, more crashes might be experienced and eventually the first commercial flight will happen. This is so usual it's not even news, except for the unfortunate family involved. All those people who died on the titanic didn't put an end to sea travel, and what about all those aviation disasters that left smoking holes in the ground? Somehow people still get on aircraft.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Chthonic View Post
    You didn't really expect something as complicated as commercial space travel to go off without a hitch or at least 1 fatality? Since when has that ever happened? The project will continue, more crashes might be experienced and eventually the first commercial flight will happen. This is so usual it's not even news, except for the unfortunate family involved.
    It was a sub-orbital flight test, not usual at all especially in the private sector. And while it's true that commercial airlines eventually succeeded in attracting passengers despite the early tragedies (such as rapid cabin decompression at high flight speeds), those passengers weren't just out for a joy ride.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

It was a sub-orbital flight test, not usual at all especially in the private sector. And while it's true that commercial airlines eventually succeeded in attracting passengers despite the early tragedies (such as rapid cabin decompression at high flight speeds), those passengers weren't just out for a joy ride.
    Nor will we come the following century.

I would go on a huge spiel about the advent of modern rock climbing, but putting thoughts to words is soul-crippling.
    tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers
    and you want to take her with you, to the hard land of the winter

Very usual in terms of early experiments in previously untested fields. I was not saying sub-orbital flight is usual. And neither am I necessarily talking about early aviation crashes. Planes do still fall out of the sky these days with rather tragic results. It does not prevent the people flying the very next day from boarding their aircraft though. It seems we rather happily ignore the fact that because we don't have wings of our own, getting into any aircraft is a risky business. The good old 'but that won't happen to me' is as alive as ever.

And I contest your statement that most people who fly aren't out for a joyride. I work in aviation, a great deal of people who fly are doing exactly that. What is taking a holiday all about? Very few people are onboard in lawful custody or because they have no choice in the matter.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Chthonic View Post
    Very usual in terms of early experiments in previously untested fields. I was not saying sub-orbital flight is usual. And neither am I necessarily talking about early aviation crashes. Planes do still fall out of the sky these days with rather tragic results. It does not prevent the people flying the very next day from boarding their aircraft though. It seems we rather happily ignore the fact that because we don't have wings of our own, getting into any aircraft is a risky business. The good old 'but that won't happen to me' is as alive as ever.

And I contest your statement that most people who fly aren't out for a joyride. I work in aviation, a great deal of people who fly are doing exactly that. What is taking a holiday all about? Very few people are onboard in lawful custody or because they have no choice in the matter.
    They're onboard because flying is more convenient in terms of distance traveled.