User Tag List

First 123

Enneagram
    7w6

My opinion:

1. It is not the clothing's fault for being perceived as sexy, it is our assumption that these qualities are "sexy" in the first place.

2. I think it is also underestimated the level of curiosity that comes with approaching puberty.

3. As pointed out earlier, the marketing is to blame here, as well as the specific selection of those pictures to emphasize and embellish her point.

4. I do understand the author's point and careful consideration should be made in how to talk to these children about their choices and what they mean.

MBTI
    yupp

or we should have a naked campaign, i bet it shut people up about clothes being to revealing if everyone went naked for halloween
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    That extreme & misleading over simplification owes it's popularity to the duel agendas it serves:
    • Chauvinists use it to call women hypocrites because women dress to be desired sexually and then complain they are viewed as sexual objects [Add your "not all women" lip service of choice].
    • Feminists use it to claim the very fact women want to dress sexy is another fingerprint of the far reaching invisible hand of the patriarchy [Add your "not all men" lip-service of choice].

Ofcourse, both handwave the need for causality in perfect synchronicity, making an accusation towards an imaginary collective consciousness of the opposite gender about how it decided to make them feel - in the pants or in the mall. As helpful as those two sister social movements might find it, it doesn't make it true.

Think of anything you ever decided not to wear because you thought it was too slutty - that is something you decided to avoid specifically because of the social expectation to not wear something that is deemed too attractive to men. Society is measuring you by your ability to attract men but is then pressuring you to look less attractive to men? More often then not, that is also viewed as caused by the patriarchy (Men's expectation for sexual exclusivity), If you attempt to prove something by posing a question in a framework where both a yes and a no would prove that it's true, you are working way too hard to avoid putting it to the test in the first place.

A wise woman once said: "If women were dressing up for the purpose of attracting man, would they be getting dressed in the first place?", and that wisdom holds true. The reality is too nuanced and intricate to be a good little villain and sit nicely in it's place within our political narratives.
    Dude!

Likes Mane liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by corpseparty View Post
    1. It is not the clothing's fault for being perceived as sexy, it is our assumption that these qualities are "sexy" in the first place.
    Well, that argument works for hard nipples and erect penises as well. Not very well, that is.

Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Well, that argument works for hard nipples and erect penises as well. Not very well, that is.
    I believe the difference between a more revealing thigh, is fairly different than the presentation of a hard nipple, or erect penis. That being said, the nipple is still seen as sexual in certain cultures and not in others, meaning that to some degree that display doesn't necessarily need to be made sexual either. And penis hardening is too compulsory to be considered sexual from my POV.

MBTI
    INFJ

It's the poses and the hair mostly, and the models to an extent.

I think it's less about the outfits and more about the way they've been set up for marketing. But in reality these are no worse than ballerina or pixie outfits.

It's really kind of scary that seeing a girl's thighs has to be sexual.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

This thread suffers from a confusion of the terms "reveiling", "sexy/sexualized" and "attractive". Three different things!

These characteristics don't exclude each other but they can also exist indepently of each other.

Lots of people here semm to go "hey, how can this be sexy if it isn't reveiling?" and others go "it might be reveiling but that doesn't mean it's sexual, ergo it isn't"
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes Mane liked this post