User Tag List

First 123 Last

Some of the comments under the article are a bit crazy though. Rape culture? Cmon.

It's their parents fault if they wear this at 12 years of age.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Wait whaaaa? Those costumes are for 13 year olds? Das fuk'd
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The poses are kind of sexed-up and I think the models are older than tween aged, but a lot of those outfits would just be cute on a real tween. It's not entirely the outfits themselves that are sexed-up, but the marketing sure is. And even that article sexualizes things that aren't necessarily sexual- "Cleopatra is a great costume option for your girl -- at least until she hits the tween years. At that point, she'll have to settle for dressing as PharaHo." And that costume just looks like a normal costume to me. Another: "While the child's Little Miss Muffet costume is totally adorable, the tween version will barely cover your girl's tuffet." Seriously?!

IMO the marketing for these costumes (and perhaps some of the costumes themselves, if they are all that is available for girls that age) AND articles like this BOTH contribute to the inappropriate sexualization of adolescent girls.
    Likes corpseparty liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    The poses are kind of sexed-up and I think the models are older than tween aged, but a lot of those outfits would just be cute on a real tween. It's not entirely the outfits themselves that are sexed-up, but the marketing sure is. And even that article sexualizes things that aren't necessarily sexual- "Cleopatra is a great costume option for your girl -- at least until she hits the tween years. At that point, she'll have to settle for dressing as PharaHo." And that costume just looks like a normal costume to me. Another: "While the child's Little Miss Muffet costume is totally adorable, the tween version will barely cover your girl's tuffet." Seriously?!

IMO the marketing for these costumes (and perhaps some of the costumes themselves, if they are all that is available for girls that age) AND articles like this BOTH contribute to the inappropriate sexualization of adolescent girls.
    Marketing is the devil
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Seriously though, that article- I don't talk that way to my daughter. And I don't have to say no to sexualized Halloween costumes- she has never wanted to wear one. Today she's a dead Star Trek redshirt.

(And not a "sexy dead Star Trek redshirt." Just a regular, unisex Star Trek shirt, and regular old black pants. And dead people makeup.)
    Likes Totenkindly, Red Herring liked this post

Permabanned

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Deal.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I will take credit for that~
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    It's not just tween girls. The underlying issue is that the perceived value of a woman still has a lot to do with her appearance, or, in other words, how attractive men find her, and unfortunately dressing 'sexy' is how you achieve that.
    That extreme & misleading over simplification owes it's popularity to the duel agendas it serves:
    • Chauvinists use it to call women hypocrites because women dress to be desired sexually and then complain they are viewed as sexual objects [Add your "not all women" lip service of choice].
    • Feminists use it to claim the very fact women want to dress sexy is another fingerprint of the far reaching invisible hand of the patriarchy [Add your "not all men" lip-service of choice].

Ofcourse, both handwave the need for causality in perfect synchronicity, making an accusation towards an imaginary collective consciousness of the opposite gender about how it decided to make them feel - in the pants or in the mall. As helpful as those two sister social movements might find it, it doesn't make it true.

Think of anything you ever decided not to wear because you thought it was too slutty - that is something you decided to avoid specifically because of the social expectation to not wear something that is deemed too attractive to men. Society is measuring you by your ability to attract men but is then pressuring you to look less attractive to men? More often then not, that is also viewed as caused by the patriarchy (Men's expectation for sexual exclusivity), If you attempt to prove something by posing a question in a framework where both a yes and a no would prove that it's true, you are working way too hard to avoid putting it to the test in the first place.

A wise woman once said: "If women were dressing up for the purpose of attracting man, would they be getting dressed in the first place?", and that wisdom holds true. The reality is too nuanced and intricate to be a good little villain and sit nicely in it's place within our political narratives.
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I suppose I can understand both sides of the issue in a way... in general if people didn't make such a big deal about other people's bodies it wouldn't be a big deal

I've worn some rather provocative costumes in the past... not necessarily out of the interest of titillating the opposite sex, but a lot of it was because I was proud of my body (still am, dammit, even if I am sitting in my pajamas eating soup and watching bad horror movies on netflix!) and felt like showing it off. People can show off their art or their cars or their kids or other things they've made or done... why not bodies?

Of course, we're all conditioned to think that exposed skin= sex though, so if you wear a bandana as a shirt you're going to get drunk frat boys trying to paw you and get called a slut for showing things... things that actually could pass the censors for prime time television. And if a guy wandered out in assless chaps for halloween he'd raise eyebrows too, even though butts do some pretty gross things.

in short, bodies are their owner's business, but society's fucked up in it's thoughts on the matter

and as long as the tween girls aren't allowed to do stupid things while dressed as they wish to, why does it really matter?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes Ivy, Mane liked this post