User Tag List

123 Last

Default Jian Ghomeshi, CBC radio host, fired over sex allegations

CBC fires Jian Ghomeshi over sex allegations

CBC star Jian Ghomeshi has been fired over “information” the public broadcaster recently received that it says “precludes” it from continuing to employ the 47-year-old host of the popular Q radio show.

Shortly after CBC announced Ghomeshi was out the door on Sunday, Ghomeshi released news that he was launching a $50-million lawsuit claiming “breach of confidence and bad faith” by his employer of almost 14 years. He later followed that up with a Facebook posting saying he has been the target of “harassment, vengeance and demonization.”

Over the past few months the Star has approached Ghomeshi with allegations from three young women, all about 20 years his junior, who say he was physically violent to them without their consent during sexual encounters or in the lead-up to sexual encounters. Ghomeshi, through his lawyer, has said he “does not engage in non-consensual role play or sex and any suggestion of the contrary is defamatory.”

This is very interesting news to me; I don't listen to Q every day but I am a fan of the show and listen when I can. Or at least I was a fan of the show; it will be presented by guest hosts for the time being but I'm sure it will be wound down and cancelled in the coming weeks.

What I find most fascinating about it is the PR. On Friday Ghomeshi announced he was leaving, officially to deal with "personal issues". Yesterday the CBC announced they were firing him. Only hours later Ghomeshi posted this on his Facebook page: Dear everyone, I am writing today because I want you to be the first to know some news...

It's a finely crafted piece of "crisis management" (he hired Navigator, a PR company that specializes in "Issues Management, Crisis Response and Reputation Recovery"). Point by point this is what he has to say:

• His dad died recently. It's already a tough time for him. He worries about his mother. (building sympathy by using something completely unrelated)
    • He loved working at the CBC, loved everybody who worked on the show.
    • He was asked to leave on his own accord, but "I am not going to do that. Because that would be untrue. Because I’ve been fired. And because I've done nothing wrong." (paints everything that follows to be "the truth")
    • "I’ve been fired from the CBC because of the risk of my private sex life being made public as a result of a campaign of false allegations pursued by a jilted ex girlfriend and a freelance writer." (discredits the people who he anticipates will be making public statements)
    • "We joked about our relations being like a mild form of Fifty Shades of Grey or a story from Lynn Coady's Giller-Prize winning book last year. I don’t wish to get into any more detail because it is truly not anyone's business what two consenting adults do. I have never discussed my private life before. Sexual preferences are a human right." (frames his proclivities as like something right out of "Fifty Shades of Grey"—a book that many women have read—to plant the idea that what he has done is something that, secretly, many women would have enjoyed. Also frames his firing as an attack on his privacy and "human rights".)
    • Goes on to say "I have lost my job based on a campaign of vengeance".
    • "I have always tried to be a good soldier and do a good job for my country." (The CBC is the public broadcaster, so he frames his employment as doing a patriotic duty. Uses the "always tried to be a good soldier" idiom less than a week after two Canadian soldiers were killed by a couple of crackpots.)

And most important of all he got it out before any other media got the other side of the story. He made it personal by posting it on his personal Facebook page. Anything that follows in the media is now going to be analyzed in comparison to his story of a "smear campaign" orchestrated by a "jilted ex" that had been picked up on by a freelancer who couldn't get his story published earlier because it couldn't be substantiated.

The Toronto Star article says:

The three women interviewed by the Star allege that Ghomeshi physically attacked them on dates without consent. They allege he struck them with a closed fist or open hand; bit them; choked them until they almost passed out; covered their nose and mouth so that they had difficulty breathing; and that they were verbally abused during and after sex.

A fourth woman, who worked at CBC, said Ghomeshi told her at work: “I want to hate f--- you.”
    It sounds pretty awful, but is it "true"? I suspect it won't really matter if it was true or not in the end. He won't be hosting anything any time soon.

(Ghomeshi announced that his lawyers will file a $50 million civil action against the CBC for "general and punitive damages for breach of confidence and bad faith".)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Fairly shocking for people up north who know the show. I know a lot of Americans listen to his show everyday as well. In my opinion it was smart of him to come clean before the media person released his information. The CBC suit is almost an aside to the real issue, but he may have a case for winning if he hasn't done anything wrong (criminally).

Tough position for him no matter what.
    Don't like my modera... Oh wait, wrong forum. Carry on.

ESTP, 8w7 sx/sp

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I have no idea, I hadn't even heard of the guy until I saw his press release posted around FaceBook yesterday. Part of me had a "Why do I need to hear this? -- it came across as a private feud airing publicly, and he was talking about consensual BDMS. I'm no prude, it's just it's none of my business. Then again, I am gathering he was decently well-known, it's a big deal, and it impacts his career and life, so... okay.

Also, I did not realize he was 47, interacting with women far younger than him -- not that they all weren't legal adults, but it makes you wonder whether there was an imbalance of power there.

I have no true idea "where the truth lies" either, but I agree with you about it being a pretty masterful display. From a purely strategic POV, it's clear a lot of things would come out anyway, and this makes him look he has nothing to hide and he looks better by putting his cards on the table first. (Whether I see this as an admirable move by a victimized male or a despicable ploy by an abuser of women I guess depends on what exactly is actually true.)

There are definitely contradictions in the accusations versus the explanations, so someone isn't being honest or has a really skewed view of events.

Anyway, what was his show about? And what do people here think about him? I mean, aside from / before this incident?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Codex liked this post

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

This just reinforces the necessity to be careful with whom you sleep and play with.

Casual sex leads nowhere good.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Anyway, what was his show about? And what do people here think about him? I mean, aside from / before this incident?
    His show was a "cultural affairs" program. It usually consisted of three stories per day, accompanied by an interview with a relevant guest. Topics were usually relevant to a current event or a recently released book, music album, film, etc. The show often featured the North American debut of up-and-coming musical acts. He was seen as the most 'hip' host the CBC had.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

This is my fav interview, but I am a major RadioLab guy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjh_8CoAt1M

ESTP, 8w7 sx/sp

MBTI
    ISFJ

The most epic episode was the one where he interviewed Billy Bob Thornton. Or rather, his super famous band, "Mod Billy".

Billy Bob didn't want his movie-star fame to overshadow the band and got pissed when Jian made mention his oscar-winning performances and movies prior to starting the interview. So what does Billy Bob do? Watch and see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJWS6qyy7bw

Jian handled it like a pro.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Redguard View Post
    The most epic episode was the one where he interviewed Billy Bob Thornton. Or rather, his super famous band, "Mod Billy".

Billy Bob didn't want his movie-star fame to overshadow the band and got pissed when Jian made mention his oscar-winning performances and movies prior to starting the interview. So what does Billy Bob do? Watch and see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJWS6qyy7bw

Jian handled it like a pro.
    Jesus Billy Bob is a prick

ESTP, 8w7 sx/sp

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

^^ Well, I don't think we need to try that one in court, it's pretty common knowledge.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Why do people continue to fuck or try to fuck people they work with? You don't shit where you eat.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.