User Tag List

Thread: This is just too rich

Default This is just too rich

Generally, trolling an online contest would not be worth mentioning except in this case it exposes the absurd hypocrisy of the left wing view of money and politics here in the US. The purpose of the video contest is to expose the role of big money in politics and currently the video winning targets the biggest individual campaign contributer in the country. Inconveniently that guy happens to be a democrat, Tom Steyer.

So now Moveon and mayday have a problem that needs fixing.

The progressive activism organizations and changed the rules for their video contest Thursday after a conservative group’s tongue-in-cheek submission took a commanding vote lead.

MoveOn and MAYDAY’s call for citizens to “make a 30-second ad to wake up America to the crisis of big money in our politics” was met by the conservative group American Commitment, which submitted a video highlighting progressive donor and climate change alarmist Tom Steyer’s role in the 2014 election cycle.

American Commitment’s submission currently has about 15 times as many votes as the second-place competitor. MoveOn and MAYDAY changed the rules Thursday to allow for another day of voting.
    MoveOn Changes Contest Rules After Conservative Takes Lead | The Daily Caller

As you can see here they added the time so that today they could announce that instead of basing the contest on votes they would have celebrity judges pick the winner. Obviously they have to fix the winner since the only other options are to let the Steyer video win or be transparent enough to change the rules to disallow targeting rich liberals.

Edit: Got rid of the clunky title
    Last edited by Beorn; 10-17-2014 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Switched videos from long form to short form that was entered
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it
    Likes Slate liked this post

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

I think you're making an assumption here; after having read it, there's other possibilities for this (including poor planning of how they wanted to do this and how "fair" it is to not allow an equal amount of time to vote per entry). IOW, not enough info to be an immediate cynic about it.

[I've been watching another story unfold -- the subpoena for church sermons down in Houston -- and it's pretty telling to see the immediate cynicism and misrepresentation unfold there, where I had to search around to get multiple perspectives on the matter... there's actually a legitimate issue there where pulpits are possibly being used to push politics, contrary to their tax-deferred status, but the poor handling of the matter resulted in exploitation by those inclined.]

However, I don't have an issue with exposing a Democrat being the top muckup; if it creates exposure for the issue of big money so that we make some systematic changes, then great.

I'm curious to see what they do (and it's far more telling at that point) if the same video wins.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft