Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    why wait 2 years then?
    As far as I know, she loves and accepts her child. Took two years for her to reach a 'I can't deal with this anymore' moment, and take the decision to move. I'm speculating, but it's plausible.

I doubt she had anticipated all that media attention.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    As far as I know, she loves and accepts her child. Took two years for her to reach a 'I can't deal with this anymore' moment, and take the decision to move. I'm speculating, but it's plausible.

I doubt she had anticipated all that media attention.
    it still seems rather... icky...

I looked up the area in which she lives and it's a fairly well to do outlying town of a bigger city with a lot more racial diversity. The town is bigger than the one I grew up in (same region of the country) and twice as well off...

anyway, had she done her research she would have found that there is a chance of mix ups when you go to a fertility clinic and accepted the possibility
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

If you order pizza salami, the delivery boy brings hawaii, and you accept it, then you just bought a pizza hawaii. If, afterwards, you happen to get thirstier from eating pineapples than you would have from eating salami, and so drink more, the cost of that drink is on you.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

FFW 20 years and it might be "Daughter Sues Mom For Being A Mistake"
    Likes chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I don't know about the kid in question, but if I grew up and learned that my mom sued someone because I wasn't white I don't think that I'd really think that much of her anymore ... her fucking daughter, and she's going to make a big deal about it?
    See, I look at it from the other angle. This is an extremely sensitive subject. You're putting someone's DNA inside of you. Someone you don't know. It's a BIG decision to get a sperm donor. It's, frequently, a private decision because the parents don't want others in their private lives. They were as careful as they could be, and that company completely shafted them for the rest of their lives because they couldn't be bothered to have better checks and balances. If blood donations were that "oopsy" people would die. This isn't a game like, "Oh well, my daughter's black oops." There's gravity there in every step of the process. Now, they don't have a choice about it all. She could have given it up for adoption--but she didn't. That's her daughter, and I have every reason to believe she still loves her as one based on the information given. But fuck yeah I'd want that company paying out the ass for their mistake. If they were handling someone's blood instead--they'd have killed that woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    My thoughts:
    Pretty much all of this. So much of this. Chances are, their daughter might be a little upset about it depending on when she finds out and her level of maturity, but I'd just be the one to tell her myself before she went looking around the internet. And 10 years from now? This is going to be buried in internet muck. Plenty of opportunity to explain it in a gentle way.

why wait 2 years then?
    It's hard to say... but maybe they thought it wouldn't be so bad despite it all. Maybe they knew it was going to be hard--but not that hard. I mean, they already spent tons of money on the insemination process already. On top of their bills. And a baby on the way. And the regular delivery costs. And lawyers aren't cheap. You have to throw down lots of cash right off the bat. I could easily see 2 years building up into "I can't take this anymore, we have to move, and those fuckers are paying for it."
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

how about they make the kid into a prodigy?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Absolutely. The race of the child is irrelevant. She didn't get the "product" that she bought, and it's something that is for life. She deserves fitting compensation, what that is I do not know.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    If you order pizza salami, the delivery boy brings hawaii, and you accept it, then you just bought a pizza hawaii. If, afterwards, you happen to get thirstier from eating pineapples than you would have from eating salami, and so drink more, the cost of that drink is on you.
    I don't know the amount of people who check their pizza on the spot, but I don't think it's the majority. Usually they pay the delivery guy and then take the pizza to the kitchen to open it up. Likewise she found out the donor was swapped way into her pregnancy. I agree with the cost of the drink bit, though.

Quote Originally Posted by elfred View Post
    Likewise she found out the donor was swapped way into her pregnancy.
    Right, the mistake wasn't discovered until the pregnancy was five months along and in the State of Ohio, 20 weeks is the cut-off for abortion if they had chosen that route. Had it been discovered earlier, who knows what they would've done? --And that's it's own debate really.

I think that I am tentatively of the mind that there is no way to enforce an iron-clad contract on life itself and that going in as the "purchaser," you need to have your eyes wide open about the possible complications and mistakes and be prepared to accept the outcome. This does not mean that the medical facility gets a free pass on error and negligence at all, but for the child's sake, I really think that the potential parents need to be prepared to accept whatever comes their way, and if they don't think that they can, then they really have no business going forward. I would recommend adoption in that event, however that is a whole other set of complications AND in the State of Ohio, a gay couple cannot petition jointly for adoption, which is frankly, utter bullshit.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke