User Tag List

First 4567 Last

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I presume many of you have heard about the defiant nurse that refuses to quarantine herself.

Maine's Gov. Threatens Legal Action To Force Nurse Into Quarantine
    Why the need to continue quarantine? She tested negative. She can't spread what she doesn't have.
    Likes Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Why the need to continue quarantine? She tested negative. She can't spread what she doesn't have.
    This is a America. We have a long history of depriving people of their freedom if they scare us, whether they're black, native American, Japanese, or potentially infected with Ebola. People potentially infected with Ebola are just the latest on a very long list.

"Screw freedom, I'm scared! Lock that person up!"
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."
    Likes Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

They at first were holding her in NJ in a makeshift tent without electricity or running water. Now that she's been released to her home state of Maine, they want to enforce a total quarantine at home even though she's asymptomatic and has tested negative. Not to mention, it's been the governors of the two states (the latter of whom is less than a week away from reelection) who want to quarantine her. I kind of think that's bullshit. She has said she will comply with the CDC's safeguards, which include a daily visit from a CDC doctor, as well as limited movement and no public transportation, but not total restriction.
    Likes Seymour liked this post

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one." Mr. Spock (he'd make a great ebola czar)

The reason why she's being quarantined is because no one trusts the CDC and the science of spreading ebola is hardly settled.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Kaci Hickox is being used as a political pawn and her rights are being sacrificed in order to appease stupid people. I applaud her stance.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari
    Likes Redbone, Ivy liked this post

@Ivy @EffEmDoubleyou Are you against any/all restrictions or just quarantine?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm against quarantines being imposed on people without symptoms, and restrictions for anyone that go beyond the recommendations of valid public health authorities. I'm also against any restrictions that are being imposed by politicians based on uneducated public opinion, rather than valid public health authorities with the educational background to make those restrictions. Majority public opinion was in favor of a quarantine for people with AIDS in 1985, with an alarming subset of those going as far as favoring an identifying tattoo to mark them. There is a reason we don't crowdsource public health.

Anonymously quoting my friend who works in public health/epidemiology: "Friends, in an epidemic such as Ebola, the MOST important aspect of the response is surveillance. We need to know if people are coming in from areas with outbreaks, and we need to be able to monitor risks and contact trace. The WORST thing we can do, for a surveillance-based response, is provide incentive to conceal. Quarantines without symptoms and flight bans create a reason for people to hide their travel and hide their symptoms. Please trust epidemiologists on this one."
    Likes Totenkindly, skylights, Redbone liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    @Ivy @EffEmDoubleyou Are you against any/all restrictions or just quarantine?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm against quarantines being imposed on people without symptoms, and restrictions for anyone that go beyond the recommendations of valid public health authorities. I'm also against any restrictions that are being imposed by politicians based on uneducated public opinion, rather than valid public health authorities with the educational background to make those restrictions. Majority public opinion was in favor of a quarantine for people with AIDS in 1985, with an alarming subset of those going as far as favoring an identifying tattoo to mark them. There is a reason we don't crowdsource public health.

Anonymously quoting my friend who works in public health/epidemiology: "Friends, in an epidemic such as Ebola, the MOST important aspect of the response is surveillance. We need to know if people are coming in from areas with outbreaks, and we need to be able to monitor risks and contact trace. The WORST thing we can do, for a surveillance-based response, is provide incentive to conceal. Quarantines without symptoms and flight bans create a reason for people to hide their travel and hide their symptoms. Please trust epidemiologists on this one."
    What Ivy said. The most disturbing thing to me is that this woman is asymptomatic and has tested negative, yet subject to quarantine because the policy is being driven by the opinion of the same general public that brought you such hits as "Don't Vaccinate My Kids, Bro!" and "Happy 10,000th Birthday, Earth!"
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari
    Likes Ivy, gromit, skylights liked this post

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

As a compromise, I think we should let the nurse go about freely provided she wear a hazmat suit and carry a warning sign that says "I'm the ebola lady, but I don't have it anymore."

Also: Nobel Prize-Winning Physician Backs Ebola Quarantine For Health Workers

“I favor it, because it’s not entirely clear that they can’t transmit the disease,” Beutler said of asymptomatic health workers who have treated Ebola patients. “It may not be absolutely true that those without symptoms can’t transmit the disease, because we don’t have the numbers to back that up.”
    If we really want to use the science argument, then we should quarantine this nurse since there is no scientific consensus on whether asymptomatic ebola patients are infectious.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Torn here. While I wholeheartedly agree with the reasoning Ivy's epidemiologist friend put forth, I would admittedly be highly likely to take a spontaneous 21-day-long vacation if I were Kaci Hickox's neighbor.