First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    The first statement is false if the second is false and the World Health Organization says the second statement is false. It can be spread by aerosols. I'm merely telling you what the World Health Organization says. If the CDC disputes this claim, that's fine.

If the ebola virus exists in human saliva and sputum and if such fluids are expelled via coughing, why wouldn't you expect those fluids to be infectious? Suppose it doesn't exist in saliva or sputum but merely in blood. This is a type of hemmorrhagic fever meaning that bleeding occurs. If bleeding occurs, why wouldn't infected blood be found in saliva when someone coughs?
    I think the point is it has to be fluid-to-fluid contact - you can't get ebola by simply being in the same room as someone who is infected. You would have to be sneezed on and have the snot enter your body through your own mouth, nose, or a wound (or any opening, though the rest seem less likely). But sneezing and coughing are not typical features of ebola infection, so it's fairly unlikely that it's a major route through which the virus would spread. Thus it's not really worth people focusing on it as a danger and not paying attention to the real concerns, like covering your wounds and washing your hands(!!!). Contact with emesis or diarrhea are also real, major concerns. And, you know, not letting people with significant symptoms who have travelled to Liberia recently leave a hospital without being tested for Ebola.

What are these bureaucrats doing with all their time?
    Paperwork. Lots and lots of paperwork that covers their asses legally and does nothing practically.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

The potential for transmission via inhalation of aerosols, therefore, cannot be ruled out by the observed risk factors or our knowledge of the infection process. Many body fluids, such as vomit, diarrhea, blood, and saliva, are capable of creating inhalable aerosol particles in the immediate vicinity of an infected person. Cough was identified among some cases in a 1995 outbreak in Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo, and coughs are known to emit viruses in respirable particles. The act of vomiting produces an aerosol and has been implicated in airborne transmission of gastrointestinal viruses. Regarding diarrhea, even when contained by toilets, toilet flushing emits a pathogen-laden aerosol that disperses in the air.

Experimental work has shown that Marburg and Ebola viruses can be isolated from sera and tissue culture medium at room temperature for up to 46 days, but at room temperature no virus was recovered from glass, metal, or plastic surfaces. Aerosolized (1-3 mcm) Marburg, Ebola, and Reston viruses, at 50% to 55% relative humidity and 72°F, had biological decay rates of 3.04%, 3.06%. and 1.55% per minute, respectively. These rates indicate that 99% loss in aerosol infectivity would occur in 93, 104, and 162 minutes, respectively.
    COMMENTARY: Health workers need optimal respiratory protection for Ebola

This is probably the most informative article I've read on the aerosol/non-aerosol controversy. In short: the scientific community is not certain how ebola is spread.

No one knows for certain how Ebola virus is transmitted from one person to the next. The virus has been found in the saliva, stool, breast milk, semen, and blood of infected persons. Studies of transmission in Ebola virus outbreaks have identified activities like caring for an infected person, sharing a bed, funeral activities, and contact with blood or other body fluids to be key risk factors for transmission.
    The article was written by an assistant professor of public health at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.
    Likes Rasofy liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Ewww, toilet aerosol.

/immaturity

Interesting, though. If it's true that airborne is a significant route, it's important to know. Would change the game a lot.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

And even then, some trained doctors manage to catch it.
    Likes Little_Sticks liked this post

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Interesting, though. If it's true that airborne is a significant route, it's important to know. Would change the game a lot.
    There are quite a few procedures, machines (like CPAPs), etc., that can create aerosolized body fluids...which makes it a rather big problem in patient care.

I think we would be okay in the States but I can see it being a difficult thing to stop in other places. How have other outbreaks of Ebola or some of the other hemorrhagic fevers ended?

There's a part of me that wants this to get out, mainly because we are incapable of fighting it with science. That way, if those that can't fight it off die, there will only be left those that can fight it off...and...then we won't have to worry about stuff like this anymore.

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Journeyman striker denies having Ebola 'despite' his name:

Journeyman striker Dele Adebola has taken to Twitter to reassure his followers that he has not contracted Ebola. The Nigerian, 39, was hounded by users asking whether he had the disease, as his surname contains the name of the five-letter virus.
    Likes Ghost liked this post

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

The whiney nurse who was quarantined for 24 hours in New Jersey is a CDC employee. Is that why she made such a stink over a little inconvenience? Is she merely doing what the Administration wants her to do? I fully support the quarantine of medical professionals who return to the US. If you don't want to be quarantined, then don't go to Western Africa, duh.

BREAKING: Ebola Nurse’s Ties to CDC Scrubbed From Website – Is Far Left Progressive & Obama Supporter
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

I presume many of you have heard about the defiant nurse that refuses to quarantine herself.

Maine's Gov. Threatens Legal Action To Force Nurse Into Quarantine

Hours after Kaci Hickox defiantly breached a voluntary quarantine for possible Ebola by going on a bike ride, Gov. Paul LePage threatened to use "the full extent" of his authority to compel the nurse to remain in isolation.

"I was ready and willing—and remain ready and willing—to reasonably address the needs of healthcare workers meeting guidelines to assure the public health is protected," LePage said in a statement.

The statement added: "As a result of the failed effort to reach an agreement, the Governor will exercise the full extent of his authority allowable by law.
    Maine statutes provide robust authority to the State to use legal measures to address threats to public health."

Hickox, 33, has repeatedly refused to go into isolation since returning to the U.S. from Ebola-stricken Sierra Leone, where she was working for the nonprofit Doctors Without Borders. She has tested negative for the virus and says she is asymptomatic.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke
    Likes Rasofy liked this post