User Tag List

First 12345 Last

I suppose it's well known at this point, but I'll update the discussion thread: Health Worker Who Cared for Duncan, Infected with Ebola
    Tom Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Monday that Pham was "clinically stable." Frieden apologized to officials at Texas Health Presbyterian hospital in Dallas. He said his comments Sunday that Pham's infection was the result of a "breach of protocol" did not reflect on Pham or the hospital's efforts. "I apologize if people thought I was criticizing the hospital," Frieden said at a news conference Monday. "And I feel awful that a health care worker became infected while helping an Ebola patient."

Breaking News: 2nd Health Care Worker Now Infected with Ebola
    A second health care worker who cared for an Ebola patient at a Dallas hospital has contracted the virus herself. The worker, a woman who lives alone, was quickly moved into isolation at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, authorities said Wednesday. The news cast further doubt on the hospital's ability to handle Ebola and protect employees. It's the same hospital that initially sent Thomas Eric Duncan home, even though he had a fever and had traveled from West Africa. By the time he returned to the hospital, his symptoms had worsened. He died while being treated by medical staff, including the two women who have now contracted the disease. "I don't think we have a systematic institutional problem," Dr. Daniel Varga, chief clinical officer of Texas Health Resources, told reporters Wednesday, facing questions about the hospital's actions.
    Last edited by iwakar; 10-15-2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: critical quotes
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Truth is authorities don't totally understand how the virus is transmitted. Too much focus on not triggering panic, imo.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It seems like the virus got transmitted in a pretty mundane and unsurprising way- lax containment protocols and improper handling of contaminated gear. I don't think it's suddenly being transmitted in a previously unknown way. The hospital just fucked up.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Here's what actually happened in the 2012 experiment. Six piglets with Ebola were housed next to four monkeys separated in cages. A buffer zone of roughly 8 inches separated the pigs from the monkeys so that they couldn't touch each other directly. Then, two of the monkeys got Ebola fast enough that it was clear that they caught it from the pigs.

But just because this happened between pigs and monkeys doesn't mean it's likely to happen between people. The big difference is that pigs cough and sneeze a lot when they're sick with Ebola — way more than people do.

"You cannot take the pigs and think that it will go the same way in humans," Weingartl said. "One has to consider the species. For pigs, the [Ebola] infection ends up as an infection of the lungs — they have high amounts of the virus in the respiratory tract and so they cough it out. Or when they sneeze or squeal, it just gets out of the lungs. So the virus is in the air directly."

But Ebola affects primates in a different way, Weingartl says. For them, "the main target organ is the liver, so they have high amounts of the virus in the blood and in the feces. They will not be coughing out the virus. And that’s why indirect transmission without contact is probably not happening [among primates and humans]."

Several papers have addressed possible transmission between primates in laboratory settings, including one published on July 25. That one showed no airborne transmission. Another from back in 1995 described transmission without direct contact, but couldn't determine if this was from big droplets, tiny aerosol droplets, or something else.

Of course, it's entirely possible that a big spit droplet from a human Ebola patient could fly a few feet through the air and land on someone else. But current Ebola protection measures seem to guard against this. Health-care workers are told to cover their faces and bodies with protective gear, for example, and patients are generally separated from the general population by a buffer zone of plastic fencing.

What some readers seem to be worried about, though, is not a big cough droplet that travels a few feet, but whether Ebola could travel longer distances in tiny, tiny droplets. This is called "aerosol transmission," and it's something that the measles and some kinds of influenza can do.

Experts say that this is highly unlikely. And this 2012 study of pigs and monkeys doesn't contradict that — indeed, it didn't really address the question of aerosol transmission. It couldn't distinguish between big droplets and little aerosol droplets because the pigs were simply too close to the monkeys.

What the study was designed to do is figure out if Ebola could go from a pig to a primate without them directly touching. Researchers were curious about this because there was evidence that a different, nonlethal-to-humans species of Ebola had done so in the Philippines.

So yes, two monkeys got Ebola from pigs in a laboratory. But that doesn't mean that they would have gotten it if they'd been 10 feet away from each other. And it doesn't mean that any of this would necessarily happen in people
    http://www.vox.com/2014/8/10/5980553...e-pigs-monkeys

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Ebola virus can persist in semen for months

Ebola Outbreak Boosts Odds of Mutation Helping It Spread

What irks me is reading news describing bodily fluids as diarrhea and vomit. Fucking saliva is a fluid, man.

It's not like people will be fine as long as they avoid blood, feces and vomit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Ebola virus can persist in semen for months

Ebola Outbreak Boosts Odds of Mutation Helping It Spread

What irks me is reading news describing bodily fluids as diarrhea and vomit. Fucking saliva is a fluid, man.

It's not like people will be fine as long as they avoid blood, feces and vomit.
    Don't forget sweat and tears!
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.
    Likes Rasofy liked this post

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

What happens if ebola spreads to South America or Central America? Hundreds of thousands of refugees would flood the USA and the epidemic would spread here killing thousands of Americans; we'd be looking at a 1918 Spanish Flu type of epidemic. I think we need to replace the CDC chief with a type 6 guy; it's better to be overly cautious when the microbe is this deadly.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.
    Likes Xann liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    What happens if ebola spreads to South America or Central America? Hundreds of thousands of refugees would flood the USA and the epidemic would spread here killing thousands of Americans; we'd be looking at a 1918 Spanish Flu type of epidemic. I think we need to replace the CDC chief with a type 6 guy; it's better to be overly cautious when the microbe is this deadly.
    Yes, the 1918 flu pandemic was one of the deadliest natural disasters in human history.

Five hundred million were infected and eighty million died across the world.

I actually am somewhat astonished they didn't introduce any travel limitations already...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Also, it would kill millions in South and Central America...
    Likes Hard, Rasofy, Jaguar, Ivy, gromit liked this post