User Tag List

First 1234 Last

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus
    Start? I would be very surprised if you were not already doing it.
    I would be surprised as well, but Homeland Security/NSA/FBI have missed multiple such jihadists including the Tsarnaev brother (after being warned by the Russians, no less), the Fort Hood shooter, and now this guy.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    An African American muslim beheads a co-worker. Should any American security policies be changed? Should we start monitoring the internet for American jihadists? This is an isolated incident; should we treat it as such or should we treat it as an indication of a greater threat? (treat it as a local crime or treat it as part of the national policy against terrorism?)
    We treat it as crime, just like any other murder or act of violence. These people aren't heroes for a legitimate cause, they are criminals, plain and simple. The more we and our media highlight any association with religious movements or international terrorist groups, the more we play into their desire for notoriety and publicity. If the criminal investigation turns up evidence that it is not an isolated event, we track down accomplices, networks, money, etc. just as with gangs or other organized crime.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Hard, Arctic Hysteria, Oaky liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis
    We treat it as crime, just like any other murder or act of violence.
    For now, I agree with this position. If we get a string of such murders and if they are linked to a particular mosque or imam, then our strategy should change and we should put more scrutiny on everyone associated with that mosque or imam.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

For now, I agree with this position. If we get a string of such murders and if they are linked to a particular mosque or imam, then our strategy should change and we should put more scrutiny on everyone associated with that mosque or imam.
    Just as if a string of crimes are linked to a particular gang or drug ring, we go after them. It doesn't matter what a perpetrator's religion, ideology, or cause is. Murder is illegal here, and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Arctic Hysteria liked this post

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Correlation does not imply causation

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Just as if a string of crimes are linked to a particular gang or drug ring, we go after them. It doesn't matter what a perpetrator's religion, ideology, or cause is. Murder is illegal here, and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
    ^

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

We treat it as crime, just like any other murder or act of violence. These people aren't heroes for a legitimate cause, they are criminals, plain and simple. The more we and our media highlight any association with religious movements or international terrorist groups, the more we play into their desire for notoriety and publicity. If the criminal investigation turns up evidence that it is not an isolated event, we track down accomplices, networks, money, etc. just as with gangs or other organized crime.
    Exactly this.

This is something that has actually really really been bothering me with a signficant portion of the reporting on ISIS, and the dramatization of it. Yes, it's horrible, but excessively publicizing it is exactly what they want us to do, and it is achieving the goal of spreading irrational fear in a broad sense. I'm happy to see that this incident hasn't been subjected to this in the media as much as it could have been.

In the end, jumping to conclusions in matters like this is a very dumb thing to do. We have to treat things based off what we now, and only off solid evidence.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes Arctic Hysteria liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Woaden
    Correlation does not imply causation
    The extra scrutiny I suggested is due diligence to determine if there is causation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard
    Yes, it's horrible, but excessively publicizing it is exactly what they want us to do, and it is achieving the goal of spreading irrational fear in a broad sense.
    I agree and disagree at the same time. Yes, we shouldn't keep publicizing each and every beheading, but it is instructive to report on the savagery of the enemy. I don't think most Americans were aware how evil these terrorists are.

The beheading of Britains, French, and attempted beheading of three Australians, was done at the explicit, open command of the Islamic State.

These beheadings, and attempted beheadings, are not simple criminal acts, these are religious acts carried out by the revanchist Islamic State.

The beheadings are carried out with the explicit purpose of reinstating the Islamic Caliphate with Sharia Law.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I agree and disagree at the same time. Yes, we shouldn't keep publicizing each and every beheading, but it is instructive to report on the savagery of the enemy. I don't think most Americans were aware how evil these terrorists are.
    I actually believe most Americans are quite well aware of how evil they are. We've been made well aware of terrorism in this country for years that you'd have to essentially live under a rock to not have an idea of it.

There simply needs to be a balance. Yes, there needs to be attention on the matter, but it very well and easily could lead to ill-action being taken if it's over-publicized.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

The Caliphate of the Islamic Ottoman Empire surrendered to the Australian, General Sir Harry Chauvel, GCMG KCB, in Damascus, in 1918.

This was and is a national shock to the muslims as they believed Allah was on their side. And they have felt ever since that the loss of the Caliphate was unnatural and against the laws of Allah. Accordingly they have tried to regain the Caliphate.

This is why the muslims are revanchist, they passionately want to regain their lost Caliphate.