User Tag List

First 123

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Watching folks tie themselves in knots trying to explain how this time is different entertains me to no end.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    The point is that ISIS is a threat to the US as well as other nations. And in fact ISIS is making direct threats. Whether those threats are viable or not would be a moot point.
    Really? Is it? So if anyone anywhere in the world makes a threat against the USA, no matter how idle or infeasible, it is relevant to the USA?

I'm honestly not sure how much of a threat ISIS is to the USA. Maybe it's serious, maybe it's not. The important question is whether or not the USA can do much of anything about it by putting troops down in Iraq. Seems to me like we'll play another futile game of whack'o'mole, making more enemies and alienating more potential allies in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    I endorse nothing like British colonialism which means there is a governmental and military presence. But if these "developing nations" want to develop, this will require capitalism, i.e., economic colonialism. Since capitalism is pretty much reviled around the world, as well as all forms of colonialism, the idea that they are 'developing nations' is just a sick joke designed to make these countries seem better than they are thus worthy of foreign assistance.
    Okay... You don't endorse colonialism in one sense, but you consider colonialism positive in another sense.

You think capitalism is necessary for countries to develop, but you think developing countries hates capitalism and colonialism (but do they hate colonialism in the British sense or your sense? And is saying hating colonialism and capitalism redundant based on your sense?)

The part after that makes no sense at all. They aren't really developing nations? Then what are they? How on earth does this term make them seem better than they are? And why would that lead to foreign aid, when foreign aid is generally considered a service rendered to less, weaker countries? Foreign aid is practically pity.

The whole post kind of seemed like word salad.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Long story short, principles only apply when the other team is in office.
    Said no one in this thread.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Really? Is it? So if anyone anywhere in the world makes a threat against the USA, no matter how idle or infeasible, it is relevant to the USA?

I'm honestly not sure how much of a threat ISIS is to the USA. Maybe it's serious, maybe it's not. The important question is whether or not the USA can do much of anything about it by putting troops down in Iraq. Seems to me like we'll play another futile game of whack'o'mole, making more enemies and alienating more potential allies in the process.

Okay... You don't endorse colonialism in one sense, but you consider colonialism positive in another sense.

You think capitalism is necessary for countries to develop, but you think developing countries hates capitalism and colonialism (but do they hate colonialism in the British sense or your sense? And is saying hating colonialism and capitalism redundant based on your sense?)

The part after that makes no sense at all. They aren't really developing nations? Then what are they? How on earth does this term make them seem better than they are? And why would that lead to foreign aid, when foreign aid is generally considered a service rendered to less, weaker countries? Foreign aid is practically pity.

The whole post kind of seemed like word salad.
    As an off-shoot of al-Qaeda, ISIS is a potential threat to Britain and the US, and it has proven itself to be as dangerous if not more so than al-Qaeda on a regional level. That should suffice to answer your questions.

I don't think developing nations hate capitalism, I know they hate capitalism, and I know they equate it with colonialism of the bad variety. As long as "developing" countries rely on hand-outs they will not be developing any more than a welfare mother is "developing." They are third world countries, and as long as they resist "colonialism" and continue to rely on hand-outs they will always be third world countries.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

The problem is most people don't have time to figure out, in the grand scheme, if this is good or bad. Even if they did, it's not going to change anything (Unless you are a billionaire, or have an army).

Most working people, I think, are busy living their lives, going to work, raising a family, taking out the trash.

Bush started a cluster fuck war in Iraq under false pretenses with the goal of trying to change a country full of people who wanted a Theocracy into a Democracy. Great plan.

Obama's administration is doing more tactical strikes alongside other countries that belief this is a Just war.

It seems it is.

ISIS is basically fucking insane.

June 29, 2014 - ISIS announces the creation of a caliphate (Islamic state) that erases all state borders, making al-Baghdadi the self-declared authority over the world's estimated 1.5 billion Muslims.

Basically they are saying they are the true successors of Muhammad himself.

June 30, 2014 - The Pentagon announces the United States is sending an additional 300 troops to Iraq, bringing the total U.S. forces in Iraq to nearly 800.

There's more people than that in my meetup.com photographer club.

August 19, 2014 - In a video posted on YouTube, U.S. journalist James Foley, missing in Syria since 2012, is decapitated by ISIS militants.

September 2, 2014 - ISIS releases a video showing the beheading of U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff.

September 13, 2014 - ISIS militants post video on a website associated with the group, showing the apparent execution of British aid worker David Haines.

Great idea! You're going to win!

Along with other gross human rights violations including rape, torture, more beheadings and ya know, the usual for an group of utterly psychotic religious "fighters."

Other countries recognize this threat as well:

Great Britain: Prime Minister David Cameron called ISIS "a menace" Sunday and said the United Kingdom would help arm Kurdish forces, support the Iraqi government, keep supplying humanitarian help and coordinate with the United Nations to battle ISIS.

France: France has begun reconnaissance flights over Iraq.

Australia: On Sunday, the Australian government responded to a request by the United States and said it is preparing to deploy to the United Arab Emirates up to eight Royal Australian Air Force F/A-18 combat aircraft, an E-7A Wedgetail airborne early warning and control aircraft and a KC-30A multirole tanker and transport aircraft. Australia will also help to stem the humanitarian crisis. Obama said on September 17 that Australia will send military advisers to Iraq.

Firepower used to knock out ISIS supply depots, and such.

47 Tomahawk Land Attack Cruise Missiles.

F/A-18 Hornets

F-22 Stealth Raptors

Yes civillians have been killed and that's a bad thing. But I hope one of these makes it up the ass of some ISIS fuck that took part in a massacre of over 1,000 Turks, including over 100 children.

edit:

VS.

Toyota
    Last edited by johnnyyukon; 10-01-2014 at 12:33 PM.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm exhausted when it comes to Obama's foreign policy. I've been explaining to people how the drone program is a moral catastrophe for years, but they just don't care.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Yes civillians have been killed and that's a bad thing. But I hope one of these makes it up the ass of some ISIS fuck that took part in a massacre of over 1,000 Turks, including over 100 children.
    I'm sure the families of those civilians really appreciate the lip service you've given them.

By the way, the people fighting against ISIS are just as brutal. So even if ISIS is defeated another brutal group will take control. And if that group is defeated another brutal group control. And so on.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    They're really not, it's just another extremist group that further destabilises Iraq and Syria (or what is left of them) so it works in the US' favour. Sending more troops is their attempt of gaining control in the area.
    Night is another candle
    Likes johnnyyukon, Hard liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'm sure the families of those civilians really appreciate the lip service you've given them.
    Ooooohh, do you think they read my posts?? I hope I get a "like."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptive View Post
    They're really not, it's just another extremist group that further destabilises Iraq and Syria (or what is left of them) so it works in the US' favour. Sending more troops is their attempt of gaining control in the area.
    True story.