Thread: The Police Misconduct Thread

Senior Member Array captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Socionics
    INTj None

What we do remember is that the latest incident was caught on video. We also know that simply because we have made progress, this does not mean that racism is a non-issue. We also all know that these are well-known and incontrovertible facts, and to insist otherwise is to consciously and willfully argue against facts and to be a part of the entitlement mentality that cultural conservatives argue against.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I went to disobedience training today, and from what I understand the police threat in Philadelphia could be severe, no matter race, because their job is to lock protesters up to keep them away from the convention. I got advice on how to deal with brutality, chemical weapons, and defusing situations where people are trying to provoke us OR the police.

Since the Patriot Act, all people have less rights with the police, it's their job to keep order, not to protect you. I saw this with the Occupy movement.

The DNC could be dangerous because after Dallas police are afraid, and frightened people who are armed can be dangerous.

We need to de-militarize the United States police force, give them stricter psychological testing, and give them covert questions that indicate racism.

I understand that the threat is greater, especially in certain geographic regions, to African Americans. Just like mass school/airport/mall shootings, I think the attacks on people of color have actually escalated due to the unethical actions of mainstream media. My African American roommate pointed out that not only does she agree with me about the nature of the sensationalist media, but specifically with Black Lives Matter and escalating violence towards African Americans, the media coverage is just telling racist police what they can potentially get away with. We need a systematic change on a federal level, not more media coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    More assertions from you while you IGNORE EVERYTHING SUBSTANTIVE I'VE SAID.

Please.

Explain to me why my analysis of why there was probable cause here is wrong.
    I don't profess to be a lawyer. Plenty of legal experts are claiming there wasn't probable cause. Argue with them to your heart's content.

Baltimore prosecutor's office should be investigated for Gray-related murder charge

The disturbing revelation by The Sun this weekend that Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby or one of her prosecutors may have used a misleading summary of evidence to persuade a grand jury to indict the six Baltimore police officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray demands a formal investigation. The cardinal duty of a prosecutor under the Maryland Lawyers' Rules of Professional Conduct is to "refrain from prosecuting a charge that the prosecutor knows is not supported by probable cause." At least as to the second degree murder charge against Officer Caesar Goodson Jr., there is ample reason to initiate an investigation in order to determine if that duty was violated.

When Ms. Mosby announced the charges against the six officers at her press conference on May 1, 2015, it was the murder charge against Mr. Goodson that propelled Ms. Mosby to national prominence. The charge also stunned legal experts. It now appears that Ms. Mosby never had evidence sufficient to prove that charge; Mr. Goodson, who was driving the police van in which Freddie Gray sustained a fatal spine injury last year, was acquitted of all charges against him last week.

The evidence produced at Mr. Goodson's trial by Ms. Mosby's two deputies was so weak that it is not immediately apparent what facts would have formed the basis for an objectively reasonable prosecutor to conclude that it was likely that Mr. Goodson committed murder, which is the standard for determining probable cause. In that context, the testimony of Detective Dawnyell Taylor at Mr. Goodson's trial, claiming that a prosecutor lacked integrity and had ignored evidence in the case, and the contents of her notes impugning the integrity of the grand jury process, reported by The Sun on Sunday, make it imperative that the actions of Ms. Mosby and her attorneys leading up to the indictment of Mr. Goodson be reviewed.

There were warning signs of problems from the start. At her news conference a year ago, Ms. Mosby stated that she made her decision to file criminal charges against the officers based on an "independent" investigation done by her office rather than on the investigation conducted by the Baltimore Police Department (BPD); there is no comparison between the investigatory resources and experience of the two agencies. Ms. Mosby's statement that she was assisted in her investigation by the Baltimore City Sheriff's Office was also clouded by an affidavit submitted in a civil suit filed against her by Brian Rice, another officer charged in connection with Gray's death. Major Samuel Cogen, the commander assigned by the sheriff to assist Ms. Mosby's office, stated that he was presented with a narrative to include on the statement of charges that he filed against the six officers, and that "the facts, information and legal conclusions contained within ... as well as the charges lodged against plaintiff came entirely from members of the state's attorney's office." Mr. Cogen claimed "no involvement in the investigation whatsoever."

The Sun published a detailed account of the nine days in April 2015 that its reporter spent "embedded" with the BPD task force investigating the death of Freddie Gray. In it, Major Stanley Brandford, in charge of the investigation for the BPD, expressed surprise at the seriousness of the charges brought against the six officers, wondering if his 30-member team could have missed something found by Mosby's investigators. Three trials later we know that the answer is "no."

Ms. Mosby put her motives in question with her impassioned "I heard your call — our time is now" speech at that May 2015 press conference. Even liberal legal icon Alan Dershowitz condemned her for confusing "crowd control" with justice, suggesting that she was willing to sacrifice the officers for the sake of quelling the riots in Baltimore. In the words of Linda Stasi of the New York Daily News, Ms. Mosby "delivered her message like [Cate] Blanchett delivers a killer performance. And then she became an instant media star." Ms. Mosby reveled in the attention, appearing in a Vogue magazine article that drew rebukes from legal professionals. Famed defense lawyer Joe Tacopina summarized the criticism to the Daily Mail Online: "She's a prosecutor in a very serious, tragic case and she's making it all about her. She's making herself a celebrity out of a tragedy."

Former Maryland Attorney General Douglas Gansler was investigated by the Attorney Grievance Commission and reprimanded by the Maryland Court of Appeals in 2003 for making an "extrajudicial statement" about an ongoing criminal case in violation of his professional responsibilities while he was the Montgomery County state's attorney. There was no allegation that his statement was false or proof that it caused actual prejudice to the defendant.

If the conduct of Mr. Gansler warranted an investigation, then the conduct of Ms. Mosby and her staff certainly does. Mr. Gansler was accused of engaging in publicity-seeking behavior that could have prejudiced a case; the potential implications of Detective Taylor's allegations are far worse. A murder charge hung over the head of Officer Caesar Goodson Jr. for over a year. The strain on Mr. Goodson and his family is unimaginable. If Ms. Mosby and her staff are exonerated, fine; if not, then appropriate action will be taken against the lawyers involved. What cannot happen is that the allegations are ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Quote me.

I don't need your damn applause.

Edit: Just checked. You posted about it and I ignored you (and I wish I continued to ignore you up to this post).

For someone who complains about agendas and bias it seems pretty damn dumb to expose your own blatant bias.
    At the time, there seemed to be an individual thread for every police shooting in the US. When I type Baltimore into the search function, it doesn't produce any results. I highly doubt that means there wasn't a thread dedicated specifically to all of the protests which took place over the course of several weeks. Unless the title didn't contain the word Baltimore in it, most likely this vanishing thread was sent to the graveyard or merged with another topic. There's no way all of the dialogue in this forum pertaining to the Baltimore riots amounted to nothing more than a few posts in this thread.

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post

give them covert questions that indicate racism.

I understand that the threat is greater, especially in certain geographic regions, to African Americans.
    According to what criteria? Such programs inevitably just assume that things like opposition to race-based affirmative action constitute racism, which makes it nothing but an ideological purge.

Apparently not so much, once the demographic breakdown of violent offenders is accounted for: Are Blacks Disproportionately Involved In Police Shootings? | Power Line

There might be other areas where black people are subject to unequal police actions (such as drug enforcement, which may affect shootings indirectly by skewing the proportion of highly intoxicated black offenders), but police shootings don't appear to be one of them.

I was wondering if anyone would renew this thread when I heard the news over the last couple of days

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    According to what criteria? Such programs inevitably just assume that things like opposition to race-based affirmative action constitute racism, which makes it nothing but an ideological purge.

Apparently not so much, once the demographic breakdown of violent offenders is accounted for: Are Blacks Disproportionately Involved In Police Shootings? | Power Line

There might be other areas where black people are subject to unequal police actions (such as drug enforcement, which may affect shootings indirectly by skewing the proportion of highly intoxicated black offenders), but police shootings don't appear to be one of them.
    It'll take time but once the composition of the force has changed sufficiently then it'll be impossible to say that race is the factor it is, unless there's some sort of rationale that black cops are more anti-black than white ones, I think I did see that in a Spike Lee movie once.

Whether you believe in affirmative action or not its a change which has to happen, every society has its own legacy issues to work out in order to provide a fair service to all, in the US is a race thing. Seemingly a particular white-black thing, I mean it doesnt seem like the Asian, Jewish, Latino etc. community is having the problem that African Americans are or the police force is having in contact with them escalating to lethal force.

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

I have discovered our police only have one day's training in unarmed combat. This may explain why instead of disarming knife wielding mental patients they are inclined to shoot them.

Also our mental patients have been deinstitutionalised. They were supposed to be cared for in the community, but deinstitutionalisation was seen as a cost cutting measure and no funds were made available for community care, which is quite expensive. As a result we see our mentally ill in boarding houses, and on the streets begging, and self medicating with illegal drugs.

And as a result our mentally ill are left to the police who have no training in dealing with those who are mentally ill.

He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I don't like Bill Maher. I certainly won't hitch any of my views to whatever might come out of his mouth. However, I thought this interview discussion about violence involving police was very interesting and I agree with much of what Maher said.

Go to sleep, iguana.

All for ourselves and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind. - Adam Smith
    Likes Magic Poriferan, Ghost, Starry liked this post