User Tag List

First 345671555 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 620

  1. #41
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Well then why not make a thread "*list any occupation here* misconduct"?? Physical safety and preserving freedoms will always be violated by bad people in any arena. It's a people issue not an occupational issue. It appears you just have a chip on your shoulder and are opposed to authority as a matter of personal principle; not that you're actually using sound and reasonable logic in your arguments.
    What other occupations are given the power to take imprison? What other occupations are given the power to legally kill? What other occupations are given the power to intrude into your life without your consent?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  2. #42
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Of all those groups you list, only the police investigate themselves when a crime is committed.
    Teachers absolutely do investigate themselves, they're all in a union. I used to work in their ranks too, I cannot tell you how much stupid shit you see in those ranks. The BON for nurses is made up of, surprise, nurses. Doctors have boards made up of other doctors.

    No one is 100% self regulated. Lawyers, laws, other agencies, etc. All make up part of those processes.

    The problem with the police isn't a problem of a "few bad apples". It's a cultural problem that is deeper and far more expansive than just a "few bad apples". We have a system that incentivizes bad behavior and lying by police officers. For every instance of misconduct we know about, there are thousands we never hear about.
    Compared to the entire population of cops? Absolutely I disagree. Like I said, if you look at the over 2000 nurses up for the board to chop their license every year it's a LOT.. that's JUST in one state. That's not other states. One. A lot of stupid nurses making stupid mistakes. But that is NOT the entire population, or even a majority of it. And it wasn't a bunch of nurses corrupt all the way through the chain of command either. And sure there's stupid stuff no one sees all the time. But the stats don't lie, and that's still a very tiny percentage of corruption that you just cannot avoid. And, like I said.. Nurses were voted the MOST trusted profession. MOST. Honesty/Ethics in Professions | Gallup Historical Trends Overwhelmingly people trust nurses and what they say and do..

    The police created this mentality with the War on Drugs. Anyone can be a drug user. That makes us all potential criminals. Therefore, we are all enemies.
    I mean, if you use drugs or distribute them I'm sure you would feel that way. I haven't had that experience at all.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  3. #43
    Male johnnyyukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post

    The police created this mentality with the War on Drugs. Anyone can be a drug user. That makes us all potential criminals. Therefore, we are all enemies.
    I'm fairly certain that the police are NOT the governing body that makes and enacts Laws. The War on Drugs and the laws that support it, I'm pretty sure that happens, geez, I wanna say Washington D.C.?

    I could be wrong. Maybe it's the Baltimore Police Department.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

    Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

  4. #44
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    I'm fairly certain that the police are NOT the governing body that makes and enacts Laws. The War on Drugs and the laws that support it, I'm pretty sure that happens, geez, I wanna say Washington D.C.?

    I could be wrong. Maybe it's the Baltimore Police Department.
    The Top Five Special Interest Groups Lobbying To Keep Marijuana Illegal
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it
    Likes Mane liked this post

  5. #45
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    What other occupations are given the power to take imprison? What other occupations are given the power to legally kill? What other occupations are given the power to intrude into your life without your consent?
    It's already been established in past threads that you're anti-police. It's a waste of time to argue these kinds of questions with someone who doesn't even respect or find necessary the core job of law enforcement.

  6. #46
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    It's already been established in past threads that you're anti-police. It's a waste of time to argue these kinds of questions with someone who doesn't even respect or find necessary the core job of law enforcement.
    I guess you are the expert on bias. It's been established in this thread that you can't even identify a basic crime like aggravated assault with a deadly weapon when the offender is a cop.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  7. #47
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,735

    Default

    Are all these people cop haters? They're all at a special townhall called tonight to deal with NYPD violence in sunset park including an assault on a pregnant woman.

    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  8. #48
    Male johnnyyukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    I'm fairly certain that the police are NOT the governing body that makes and enacts Laws. The War on Drugs and the laws that support it, I'm pretty sure that happens, geez, I wanna say Washington D.C.?

    I could be wrong. Maybe it's the Baltimore Police Department.
    From your article:

    "Police departments across the country have become dependent on federal drug war grants to finance their budget."

    Yeah, no shit they support marijuana being illegal. Because the Federal government dangles grant money in front of them if they fall in line, and take it away if they don't. That's money in their pockets so they can pay bills and buy like, food and stuff. Last I checked, a cop's salary isn't 6 figures. A cop's philosophy about the legalization of weed is irrelevant. How it affects his ability to provide for his family is.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

    Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

  9. #49
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I guess you are the expert on bias. It's been established in this thread that you can't even identify a basic crime like aggravated assault with a deadly weapon when the offender is a cop.
    It is not my job to critique or judge an officer who uses his firearm in the line of duty. That is left to those who are paid, trained and have the resources to fully investigate each particular incident by looking at the facts and interviewing the parties involved/witnesses. That doesn't mean I automatically endorse an officer's judgment to use deadly force in every given situation, but I wasn't there and I wasn't personally faced with each component that led to the officer's decision to pull the trigger. Based off of that video, I do not believe it was malicious (and I don't think there's much of an argument to support that it would be) because anyone can see behaviors from the person being stopped that would cause a reasonable officer to take a defensive posture... but did it go too far? Quite possibly, but that is not my judgment to make. I don't believe I ever said that it would be asinine or wrong for that officer to end up being charged/disciplined for that incident, but you're not going to see me getting involved in the all-too-common circus of posting those videos and partaking in the character assassination that follows.
    Likes Arctic Hysteria liked this post

  10. #50
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    From your article:

    "Police departments across the country have become dependent on federal drug war grants to finance their budget."

    Yeah, no shit they support marijuana being illegal. Because the Federal government dangles grant money in front of them if they fall in line, and take it away if they don't. That's money in their pockets so they can pay bills and buy like, food and stuff. Last I checked, a cop's salary isn't 6 figures. A cop's philosophy about the legalization of weed is irrelevant. How it affects his ability to provide for his family is.
    What? Are you defending this?
    You're admitting that this is basically policing for profit and you approve. God help us.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Similar Threads

  1. The Funny Video Thread
    By disregard in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 875
    Last Post: 12-12-2016, 07:20 PM
  2. The Never Ending Thread
    By ygolo in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-20-2016, 04:50 PM
  3. The lame jokes thread
    By Sahara in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 211
    Last Post: 05-27-2015, 03:29 AM
  4. The Entertain Niffer Thread
    By niffer in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 07-04-2007, 02:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO