User Tag List

First 374546474849 Last

fuck! my entire post just got deleted. i quit.

Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    If this is what you conclude the public wants, after all the riots, and protests against police brutality, then you haven't been paying attention, or failed to be objective about it.

The public wants police to do their job, not to act with impunity, and abuse their power. Police are in service to the public, not the other way around. With that responsibility, granted by the citizens, comes an oath to not abuse and misuse the power. If they fail to do it, the public has every right to call them out (their mode of 'calling it out' can be called into question, but complaining that the public does not have the right to call the police out is harmful and dangerous to society, the antithesis of why a police force is created in the first place!)

The public wants responsible and just police involvement, not less police involvement. The reactionary stance of the Baltimore police makes a loud and clear statement. "There is nothing wrong in how we conduct ourselves. So if you do not like it, we will stop."

That is not constructive, that's destructive, and reeks of entitlement. Like children who refuse to play if their toys get taken away, pouting in the corner. Except we don't hire cops to play games. We pay them to do their job.

The last lines basically sum it up:
    Allow me to paraphrase: I expect the police to do a perfect job, to act like automatons with perfect legal knowledge that never fail to make the right decision. I view the relationship between the police and the public as one of servant and master. Where the public dictates the terms and tenor of the relationship and the police acquiesce. I have no idea what its like to be a police officer, but will hold them to a higher standard than I could ever live up to if I had the temerity to don a uniform. I fail to realize that the police are human beings, with human weaknesses just like the rest of us. More specifically I couldn't in my wildest dreams understand what cops face day to day, yet demand an unfailingly perfect performance. I define what good police work is based on a one sided understanding of the community/police relationship. I don't take into account the validity of the other sides argument because I am convinced of the moral righteousness of what I am doing. If others disagree, so what? Their argument can have no merit because what I'm espousing is right and for their own good.

I underestimate the dangerous nature of the world and the evil that lurks in the human heart. I think everyone can be saved, and that everyone should be given chance after chance. I fail to understand the occasional utility of force, and more to the point don't realize the shades of grey world the police operate in with regards to the use of force. The police are the popular boogie man of the moment so I'm going hop on the bandwagon and go for a hell of a ride.

I call those folks children who react to a difficult situation in a totally understandable way, because what the world looks like from their point of view is something I've never cared enough or taken the time to consider.

Why won't you listen Disco? I just want to make the world a better place for everyone (despite that I allow no definition but my own as to what that world might look like). Remember, the things I want are for your and the worlds own good, so there can be no reasoned disagreement. Those who disagree, only do so because of the wickedness in their hearts so why allow their opinions to color the debate?
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Allow me to condense that: I expect the police to do a perfect job, to act like automatons with perfect legal knowledge that never fail to make the right decision. I view the relationship between the police and the public as one of servant and master. Where the public dictates the terms and tenor of the relationship and the police acquiesce. I have no idea what its like to be a police officer, but will hold them to a higher standard than I could ever live up to if I had the temerity to don a uniform. I fail to realize that the police are human beings, with human weaknesses just like the rest of us. More specifically I couldn't in my wildest dreams understand what cops face day to day, yet demand an unfailingly perfect performance.
    You have a job to do you, you better do it well. It's called personal responsibility.
    I call those folks children who react to a difficult situation in a totally understandable way, because what the world looks like from their point of view is something I've never cared enough or taken the time to consider.
    You would be quite surprised. I get it. You see all these strange things going on and you don't understand them, and they scare you. The police are there to protect you from the scary things, as you see it.

I think we need law enforcement, but they have to do their job well, and they have to protect all the citizens, not just some of them.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore

Visit my Johari: http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    You have a job to do you, you better do it well. It's called personal responsibility.

You would be quite surprised.
    The behavior of the public towards the police colors the nature of police conduct towards the public. Its a two way street and there is plenty of blame to go around not all of it to do with the the cops. The community also has a duty to treat the police like the authority figures they are to make their job easier.

If the answer is, well we're going to treat the police like shit, and expect them to engender the better angels of their nature, then you're gonna be waiting a long time for a change.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

The behavior of the public towards the police colors the nature of police conduct towards the public. Its a two way street and there is plenty of blame to go around no all of it to do with the the cops. The community also has a duty to treat the police like the authority figures they are to make their job easier.
    IMO, police should go around prosecuting real crimes instead of trying to enforce ineffectual prohibition. It's a waste of taxpayer money and just big government spending. I don't really like that this money goes out of my paycheck to fund these kinds of government programs.

Perhaps if the police did that, the pubic would respect them more.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore

Enneagram
    8w9

IMO, police should go around prosecuting real crimes instead of trying to enforce ineffectual prohibition. It's a waste of taxpayer money and just big government spending. I don't really like that this money goes out of my paycheck to fund these kinds of government programs.

Perhaps if the police did that, the pubic would respect them more.
    I wouldn't blame the police for the laws they are forced to enforce.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I wouldn't blame the police for the laws they are forced to enforce.
    Yet, I don't doubt you support wasteful and costly government spending like the war on drugs. Thanks for taking away my hard-earned tax dollars.

Enneagram
    8w9

Yet, I don't doubt you support wasteful and costly government spending like the war on drugs. Thanks for taking away my hard-earned tax dollars.
    Dude I smoke trees pretty frequently. And support repealing the prohibition on most things cept meth and maybe heroin.

You know what they say about assumptions don't you.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Dude I smoke trees pretty frequently. And support repealing the prohibition on most things cept meth and maybe heroin.

You know what they say about assumptions don't you.
    So why do you continue to support wasteful government with your votes and stealing money from me?

Enneagram
    8w9

So why do you continue to support wasteful government with your votes and stealing money from me?
    Because I have a nuanced position. I'm a big fan of Rand Paul, but am aware of his shortcomings. Weed is getting legalized regardless of whatever else happens so why should I worry?

Criminal justice reform is being spearheaded by the GOP at the moment in case you haven't been listening.

Things are pretty good right now actually.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :newwink: