First 33414243444553 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The hands up don't shoot coverage of Ferguson. etc...

Don't scapegoat police officers

Police are scapegoats when wider race problems exist, FBI director says

An unrealistic picture of LE has been painted of LE in the media of late. I would love to see the statistics on the percentage of questionable use of force cases versus how many times force is used overall. In the overwhelming majority of cases, cops acts justly while having to make incredibly difficult split second decisions.

It's not like their the modern day equivalent of the SS.

Forgive me for not knowing, as I don't lurk nearly as much as I used to.
    Your points are valid DiscoBiscuit: but perhaps not in conjunction with the examples cited on this thread, or some other infamous examples.

There is such a thing as being too taser-happy or too eager to quell and subdue violently; there is such a thing as making a questionable call to shoot;
    and for those there are perhaps too sides.

But there is also cold-blooded murder and lying through one's foul teeth about it, relying on official cover to avoid it ever coming to light;
    and then, having the nerve to be surprised at the reaction when the public discovers you (say) shot a man in the back multiple times while he was running away,
    contrary to your claim that you felt threatened. Or, you know, throwing a flash-bang grenade into a crib. Or the ever-popular shooting a non-aggressive dog.
    Or, for non-fatal cases, seizing over $100,000 from a peaceable shop owner, because narcotics. And structuring. And mainly, you almost always get to keep the
    money with *no* repercussions nor recourse.

It is the air of official indifference-shading-into-entitlement over *these* things
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    So I take it you posting this shows that you no longer think it's just a few bad apples?

This is an coordinated department-wide slowdown.

It's despicable behavior by all cops involved.

People in authority are expected to rise above bad situations not take the ball and go home when they don't get their way.
    The public doesnt want proactive police work done. The police are public servants. This is the result of the public's outcry. Not only that but it is now downright dangerous out there for police. Answer your calls for service and go home to your family at the end of shift. Why risk being murdered or charged with murder in the line of proactive police work that people don't want done to begin with?
    Likes Crabs liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Not only that but it is now downright dangerous out there for police.
    Not only that but it is downright dangerous out there for the public.
    If a cop came to my door, I wonder if he'd claim I have a deadly weapon in my hand. (Meanwhile, it's a paper towel.)

The public doesnt want proactive police work done. The police are public servants. This is the result of the public's outcry. Not only that but it is now downright dangerous out there for police. Answer your calls for service and go home to your family at the end of shift. Why risk being murdered or charged with murder in the line of proactive police work that people don't want done to begin with?
    lol. They are responding to the public? Lol. Meanwhile the union blocks all attempts at reform.

If they don't want to do the job properly they should quit.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Chicago PD shoot 17 yo and then delete Security Video

Chicago police officers deleted footage from a security camera at a Burger King restaurant located fewer than 100 yards from where 17-year old Laquan McDonald was shot and killed, according to a Chicago-area district manager for the food chain.

McDonald was shot 16 times by a Chicago police officer on the night of October 20, 2014. Nine of the shots struck McDonald in the back, according to the Medical Examiners report.

The 86-minutes of missing video runs from 9:13 p.m. to 10:39 p.m., according to the lawyers for McDonald’s family. He was shot at approximately 9:50 p.m.

The Burger King sits at 40th and Pulaski and has a series of outside security cameras. On the night of the shooting, McDonald was trailed by Chicago police officers through the Burger King parking lot after a call about a man with a knife, according to attorneys for the McDonald family.

Just south of the restaurant, McDonald was shot after police on the scene said he posed a "very serious threat" to the officer’s safety. But that claim is disputed by attorneys for McDonald’s family and by some eyewitnesses that night.

"One witness, this witness told us this was an execution. That’s his word," said attorney Jeff Neslund, who along with Michael Robbins, represents McDonald’s family.
    Continued: Missing Minutes From Security Video Raises Questions | NBC Chicago

Edit: This is an excerpt from the article I missed and is worth noting
    The missing video, all sides agree, would not have shown the actual shooting but attorney’s for McDonald’s family contend it could have shown events leading up to the shooting.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    If a cop came to my door, I wonder if he'd claim I have a deadly weapon in my hand. (Meanwhile, it's a paper towel.)
    I'm sure that's exactly what would happen, jaguar. Because statistics suggests that's really likely! I wonder how many doors cops knock on in a given day in America... I wonder how many residence are shot for the paper towels in their hand... Melodramatic much?

Just a few bad apples

You’re All Out: A defense attorney uncovers a brazen scheme to manipulate evidence, and prosecutors and police finally get caught

Prosecutorial and police misconduct are often dismissed as just a few bad apples doing a few bad apple-ish things. But what happens when it’s entrenched and systemic and goes unchecked for years? That looks to be the case in Orange County, California, where the situation got so completely out of hand this spring that Superior Court Judge Thomas Goethals issued an order disqualifying the entire Orange County District Attorney’s Office (that’s all 250 prosecutors) from continuing to prosecute a major death penalty case.

After literally years of alleged misconduct involving jailhouses informants, as well as prosecutors’ repeated failures to turn over exculpatory material, Judge Goethals determined in March that the office can simply no longer work on the case of mass murderer Scott Dekraai, who pleaded guilty last year to killing his ex-wife and seven others at a beauty salon in 2011.

Revelations of misconduct in the Dekraai case have raised questions about patterns of obstruction and deception that have unraveled various other murder cases in the county, which has a population larger than that of 20 different states. Other cases involving informants who were eliciting illegal confessions have emerged, entire cases have collapsed, and more may follow. The story goes way back to the 1980s, as R. Scott Moxley explains at length in the OC Weekly, to a prosecutorial scandal that ended in the execution of one defendant and a lengthy sentence for his alleged co-conspirator. Their convictions were based on the testimony of various jailhouse informants even though they told conflicting stories. That scandal rocked the area then, and this new one shows eerie parallels.

Laura Fernandez of Yale Law School, who studies prosecutorial misconduct, says it’s amazing that both the sheriff’s office and the DA’s office worked together to cover up the misconduct: “From my perspective,” she says, “what really sets Orange County apart is the massive cover-up by both law enforcement and prosecutors—a cover-up that appears to have risen to the level of perjury and obstruction of justice. Law enforcement officers and prosecutors in Orange County have gone to such lengths to conceal their wide-ranging misconduct that they have effectively turned the criminal justice system on its head: dismissing charges and reducing sentences in extraordinarily serious cases, utterly failing to investigate unsolved crimes and many murders (by informants—in order to prevent that evidence from ever getting to defense lawyers), while simultaneously pushing forward where it would seem to make no sense (except that it conceals more bad acts by the state), as in the case of an innocent 14-year old boy who was wrongfully detained for two years.”
    More on the story here: Orange County prosecutor misconduct: Judge Goethals takes district attorney office off Scott Dekraai case.

I wonder how many residence are shot for the paper towels in their hand..
    100,000 A DAY. THE HORROR OF IT ALL!!!

No disappointment. You just happen to be an anomaly in this thread as everyone complaining has either
    been a cop, related to a cop, or was let off from a significant crime by a cop.

At least with you there is hope that you can be persuaded unless you're just a straight up racist.
    so if someone disagrees with your perspective, they're a racist? nevermind the fact that half of baltimore's police department is black and 3 out of the 6 officers being charged are black.

You have an issue with activists raising money? So what? Seriously, this is a big nothing.

It's especially funny that you're complaining about them raising $150,000 when the police unions raise and spend millions and millions of dollars.
    not at all. it does, however, seem a bit disingenuous when protestors are paid and shipped to a certain locale. reportedly, most of the looters and rioters were not from ferguson, yet they expect to get paid for destroying their city and the livelihood of many of the residents? where is the outcry over that injustice or the 38 homicides that have taken place in baltimore this month?

You have things entirely backwards. They aren't afraid for their lives. Their afraid of actual reform that will hold them accountable.
    they have expressed fear for both as the number of leo's losing their lives in the line of duty continues to rise, but their biggest concern is being imprisoned over political controversy.

This is an illegal union slowdown.
    The cops in Baltimore are breaking the law to resist any implementation of reforms that would bring real justice to Baltimore.
    This is an coordinated department-wide slowdown.

It's despicable behavior by all cops involved.

People in authority are expected to rise above bad situations not take the ball and go home when they don't get their way.
    instead of ranting on an internet forum, you should lead by example and join a police department, particularly in a crime-ridden neighborhood. law-enforcement needs officers of high moral fiber and you seem to be just the man for the job. carry a badge and gun, respond calmly in every situation regardless of the threat level, put your life in harms way and NEVER make a mistake.

you mentioned that you received some degree of law-enforcement training, but i don't recall you specifying your experience as an officer when someone inquired about it. nevertheless, your disdain for law-enforcement seems to have an emotional basis. were you cut from the police academy or something? did you wash out of training and now you have a grudge against those who didn't? i'm genuinely curious about your experience. someone as passionate and critical about how police conduct themselves in highly stressful situations should really be on the front lines demonstrating the correct way to do it.