User Tag List

First 32404142434452 Last

Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'd be interested to hear from any actual law enforcement officers.
    You hear from law enforcement officers every time the media make initial reports on officer misconduct by just copying police accounts verbatim without any other sources.

Like for instance when the Post and Courier did this beautiful piece on Officer Slager before there was video of him shooting a man in the back.

Attorney: North Charleston police officer felt threatened before fatal shooting

A North Charleston police officer felt threatened last weekend when the driver he had stopped for a broken brake light tried to overpower him and take his Taser.

That’s why Patrolman 1st Class Michael Thomas Slager, a former Coast Guardsman, fatally shot the man, the officer’s attorney said Monday.
    Continued: Attorney: North Charleston police officer felt threatened before fatal shooting - Post and Courier

The police have the media, the unions, and the guns. Their voice is well represented.
    Likes Osprey, Stanton Moore liked this post

Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    You hear from law enforcement officers every time the media make initial reports on officer misconduct by just copying police accounts verbatim without any other sources.

Like for instance when the Post and Courier did this beautiful piece on Officer Slager before there was video of him shooting a man in the back.

Continued: Attorney: North Charleston police officer felt threatened before fatal shooting - Post and Courier

The police have the media, the unions, and the guns. Their voice is well represented.
    I didn't comment on what was going on in the media (where there happens to be quite a bit of scapegoating going on at the moment), unions, or on police having guns (which I have more than a few of, and I'm not the only private citizen who does).

I wanted to hear from a anyone in LE here, although I have my doubts as to whether anyone in LE would frequent this particular site.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I didn't comment on what was going on in the media (where there happens to be quite a bit of scapegoating going on at the moment),
    What scapegoating?

unions, or on police having guns (which I have more than a few of, and I'm not the only private citizen who does).
    You can't do with yours what they do with theirs and get away with it like they do... most of the time.

I wanted to hear from a anyone in LE here, although I have my doubts as to whether anyone in LE would frequent this particular site.
    We have one and he's been very vocal here.

Enneagram
    8w9

What scapegoating?
    The hands up don't shoot coverage of Ferguson. etc...

Don't scapegoat police officers

Police are scapegoats when wider race problems exist, FBI director says

An unrealistic picture of LE has been painted of LE in the media of late. I would love to see the statistics on the percentage of questionable use of force cases versus how many times force is used overall. In the overwhelming majority of cases, cops acts justly while having to make incredibly difficult split second decisions.

You can't do with yours what they do with theirs and get away with it like they do... most of the time.
    It's not like their the modern day equivalent of the SS.

We have one and he's been very vocal here.
    Forgive me for not knowing, as I don't lurk nearly as much as I used to.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

These are red herrings. Nobody on the streets protesting are blaming the police for a lack of fathers or poverty.
    They're blaming them for their misconduct.

There is no scapegoating just a ploy to shift the discussion to avoid reform.

An unrealistic picture of LE has been painted of LE in the media of late. I would love to see the statistics on the percentage of questionable use of force cases versus how many times force is used overall. In the overwhelming majority of cases, cops acts justly while having to make incredibly difficult split second decisions.
    Shooting an unarmed man in the back.
    Throwing a flashbang in a baby crib
    Shooting a boy playing with a toy gun on sight.
    Shooting a young man for just opening a door in an apartment complex.
    Jumping on top of a hood and firing some 3 dozen rounds at unarmed suspects.
    Choking a man to death for (alledgedly) selling loose cigarettes.
    Chasing a man for no reason and then taking him on a horror van ride that kills him.
    and the list goes on and on and on

None of these things that people are complaining about fit your scenario.

Here's the thing, too.

Even if it is rare thw bad apples do not PAY when they are caught and other officers consistently protect their own.

I'm sure you've heard of the blue line. It's a real thing.

It's not like their the modern day equivalent of the SS.
    Great new motto for the BPD.
    "We're not the SS"

Forgive me for not knowing, as I don't lurk nearly as much as I used to.
    No worries.
    This is a place that tends to attract people with a certain level of intelligence.
    Let's be honest, intelligence isn't what police departments are always looking for in their officers.

Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops - ABC News

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Tippo View Post
    Why do local police require ar15's?
    You ever heard the adage "like bringing a knife to a gun fight"? First of all, police aren't strapped with their AR-15's/long guns throughout the shift, such as during a traffic stop or a basic call for service. They are usually stored in the car in the event that there is the potential for it to be a necessary use. Violent car jackings, shootings, robberies, active shooter situations, violent burglaries/home invasions, violent barricaded subjects, etc. etc. Now look at the advantage of range/accuracy/stopping power of a rifle versus a handgun.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by pixie sticks View Post
    This needs to be posted again.
    Likes Crabs liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    This needs to be posted again.
    So I take it you posting this shows that you no longer think it's just a few bad apples?

This is an coordinated department-wide slowdown.

It's despicable behavior by all cops involved.

People in authority are expected to rise above bad situations not take the ball and go home when they don't get their way.

This is a place that tends to attract people with a certain level of intelligence.
    Let's be honest, intelligence isn't what police departments are always looking for in their officers.

Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops - ABC News
    125 is not even high! How bizarre.