User Tag List

Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: The Police Misconduct Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    So, how are you related to a law enforcement officer?
    I was going to ask the same question.

So, how are you related to a law enforcement officer?
    sorry to disappoint, but i have no such relation. i just find it appalling that law-enforcement has become a scapegoat for society's shortcomings. of course there are some police officers who are guilty of wrongdoing and should be prosecuted, but that doesn't reflect on law-enforcement as a whole. nonetheless, the court of public opinion is all too eager to jump to conclusions regarding any situation that involves a black suspect and a white officer, as though racism is the underlying issue. people all across the country have jumped on a political bandwagon, marching in opposition to law-enforcement. although apparently some professional protestors haven't received the compensation they were expecting in ferguson: Ferguson 'Protesters' Are Now Protesting That They Didn't Get Paid. how's that for capitalism?

in the wake of the protests following the arrest of freddie gray, and the false claims that an officer shot a black boy in the back which nearly stirred a riot, police in baltimore are reluctant to patrol the streets beyond responding to 911 calls, which has resulted in a drastic decline in arrests and a surge in homicides. officers no longer want to risk being prosecuted for using lethal force in situations that put their lives in danger. can't really say i blame them. i doubt the endless anti-police rhetoric is unrelated to the increasing number of cops being murdered in recent months.

Likes Tippo, swordpath liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ

Pixie owned this debate. Besides, if she was in relations with a low brow officer she'd have been too afraid to post..... Poor thing, beaten into submission.
    Likes Crabs, swordpath liked this post

Cop tasers and pepper sprays stroke sufferer before dragging him out of car where his foot gets rolled over by his car.

At least this cop resigned/was made to resign. Although, I fear he'll just get a job with another PD.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by pixie sticks View Post
    sorry to disappoint, but i have no such relation.
    No disappointment. You just happen to be an anomaly in this thread as everyone complaining has either
    been a cop, related to a cop, or was let off from a significant crime by a cop.

At least with you there is hope that you can be persuaded unless you're just a straight up racist.

i just find it appalling that law-enforcement has become a scapegoat for society's shortcomings.
    The social problems are a red herring. Yes, social problems need to be fixed. Yes, there is more police misconduct where there are social problems. That has nothing to do with whether or not we hold police accountable.

of course there are some police officers who are guilty of wrongdoing and should be prosecuted, but that doesn't reflect on law-enforcement as a whole.
    This is not an indictment of every single police officer. It is an an indictment of every officer that won't recognize there is a problem, cross the blue line, or engage in misconduct themselves.

The problem is systemic and widespread. Over the last few years a number of large police departments have had to reach reform agreements with the DOJ because of systemic problems of abuse and racism and that number will only continue to grow.

Consistently cops do not report misconduct, do not testify at trial against other officers, and suffer minimal or no consequences when they themselves engage in misconduct.

If you don't believe me go back to the beginning of this thread and read it all through.

There's even an example of a cop who did the right thing and tried to stop another cop from abusing a handcuffed suspect. Do you know what happened to her? She was fired and charged with obstruction of justice.

nonetheless, the court of public opinion is all too eager to jump to conclusions regarding any situation that involves a black suspect and a white officer, as though racism is the underlying issue.
    Racism is an underlying issue. Not always. But it's there and sometimes can be proven... like when white officers in the Ferguson PD thought it was a good idea to hang a lynch rope in the office.

It's also there in the fact that white and black teens equally use drugs, but guess who's vastly more likely to end up in juvie?

people all across the country have jumped on a political bandwagon, marching in opposition to law-enforcement.
    Why are you making this about sides? Can't this be about an ideal? Does it have to be against or for police?

Is it possible to just support justice?

although apparently some professional protestors haven't received the compensation they were expecting in ferguson: Ferguson 'Protesters' Are Now Protesting That They Didn't Get Paid. how's that for capitalism?
    LOLOLOL

You have an issue with activists raising money? So what? Seriously, this is a big nothing.

It's especially funny that you're complaining about them raising $150,000 when the police unions raise and spend millions and millions of dollars.

in the wake of the protests following the arrest of freddie gray, and the false claims that an officer shot a black boy in the back which nearly stirred a riot,
    I don't understand why you care so much about a faulty eyewitness.

police in baltimore are reluctant to patrol the streets beyond responding to 911 calls, which has resulted in a drastic decline in arrests and a surge in homicides. officers no longer want to risk being prosecuted for using lethal force in situations that put their lives in danger. can't really say i blame them. i doubt the endless anti-police rhetoric is unrelated to the increasing number of cops being murdered in recent months.
    You must be kidding me??????
    You have things entirely backwards. They aren't afraid for their lives. Their afraid of actual reform that will hold them accountable.

This is an illegal union slowdown.
    The cops in Baltimore are breaking the law to resist any implementation of reforms that would bring real justice to Baltimore.

Edit: Also, where is the anger at their fellow cops for making them look bad and engaging in the horrible conduct that started all this? When people in a group I'm associated with do something horrible I'm angry at them not at the people complaining about the bad conduct.

Over the weekend Officer Brelo was acquitted of all charges after he stood on the roof of a stopped car and fired a barage of bullets at the unarmed occupants.

A Cleveland police officer was acquitted Saturday for his role in the 2012 fatal shooting of two unarmed people in a car after officers mistook the sound of the car backfiring as gunshots.

After a four-week trial, a judge found Michael Brelo, 31, not guilty of two counts of felony voluntary manslaughter in the deaths of Timothy Russell, 43, and Malissa Williams, 30. Russell and Williams were killed Nov. 29, 2012, after they led 62 police vehicles on a chase across Cleveland.

“The state did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant Michael Brelo knowingly caused the deaths of Timothy Russell and Malissa Williams, because the essential element of causation was not proved for both counts,” Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge John P. O’Donnell said in his ruling.
    Continued:

Cleveland officer acquitted in killing of unarmed pair amid barrage of gunfire - The Washington Post

Here's a defense attorney's explanation of the problems with the Brelo decision:

Cleveland Police Officer Michael Brelo was acquitted of voluntary manslaughter of Timothy Russell and Melissa Williams. A total of 137 rounds were fired into their car, including 49 by Brelo, as he stood atop the hood of their car and fired through the windshield. They were unarmed, although reported to have fired shots because their car had earlier backfired.

The bench trial was marked by the disgraceful refusal of the other police officers present to testify, under the guise of Fifth Amendment privilege (to which they’re entitled) but for the purpose of protecting their fellow officer. The verdict still shocked. Judge John P. O’Donnell began his decision with an acknowledgement of Cleveland’s disastrously poor relationship between police and the public.

In many American places people are angry with, mistrusting and fearful of the police. Citizens think the men and women sworn to protect and serve have violated that oath or never meant it in the first place. Some of these places are long familiar: New York City and Baltimore. Some were unfamiliar until incidents there laid bare the divide between the people and the police: Ferguson, Missouri and North Charleston, South Carolina. Probably not coincidentally these places are mostly African-American communities.

Cleveland, too, is one such place, as the reaction and attention to this case and other recent events has shown.

Yet, the judge noted that his verdict was about one defendant in one case, not a referendum on police, race or violence.

In parsing the evidence, the judge focused on an element that was curiously problematic. There is nothing about this case that made Brelo look like a brave, honorable cop. But guilt is proven beyond a reasonable doubt, even when the defendant is a police officer.
    Continued:
    Brelo: Cause and Effect (Update) | Simple Justice

Edit: Importantly, Greenfield notes that the claim about a lack of causation is total BS and unheard of in Ohio law.

I’m informed by a close friend and Ohio lawyer that Judge O’Donnell’s “but for” analysis is non-existent under state law, and shocking. If any other judge applies it in a case involving a non-cop, it would be a huge boon for the defense bar, as it’s that extraordinary a requirement for voluntary manslaughter.

137 rounds fired, 49 by Brelo. You can't be serious. Who did he think he was shooting at - Sonny Corleone?
    From this hour I ordain myself loos’d of limits and imaginary lines.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Over the weekend Officer Brelo was acquitted of all charges after he stood on the roof of a stopped car and fired a barage of bullets at the unarmed occupants.

Edit: Importantly, Greenfield notes that the claim about a lack of causation is total BS and unheard of in Ohio law.
    I read about this yesterday. A few people even said, "Well they shouldn't have been running from the police...". As if running justifies this sort of action...okay.

Besides, it's beginning to look like running (and getting away) will be the thing that will save your life if you have an encounter with them.

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post

Specifically talking about the CRIMINALS they kill. Never any innocents. You see, they're all legally justified. Look, even made sure to highlight that by including it in the title!!

Because, of course, logically, as a cop, the only people they'll EVER kill are criminals who deserved it. The title makes it clear, who is who: the good guys/the bad guys. If that's not hedging....
    Of course there's only one side to this story....
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'd be interested to hear from any actual law enforcement officers.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast