User Tag List

Page 36 of 54 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: The Police Misconduct Thread

Officer in Freddie Gray case demanded man's arrest as part of personal dispute

Baltimore lieutenant Brian Rice used his position to threaten ‘heads will roll’ if officers did not arrest his ex-girlfriend’s husband, police report reveals

The most senior Baltimore police officer charged over the death of Freddie Gray used his position to order the arrest of a man as part of a personal dispute just two weeks before the fatal incident, prompting an internal inquiry by Baltimore police department.

During an erratic late-night episode in March, Brian Rice boasted he was a Baltimore police lieutenant and warned “heads will roll” if officers in a nearby city did not “go arrest” his ex-girlfriend’s husband, according to a police report obtained by the Guardian.

The incident is the latest in a series revealed by the Guardian that policing experts said raised questions over Rice’s ability to perform his duties as a supervising officer and the Baltimore department’s decision to keep him on front line patrols.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Total bullshit.

1. I was trained to restrain dangerous and combative people and if I had ever hurt anyone my ass would be sitting in a jail cell.

2. They're innocent until proven guilty and you denigrate all civilians when you label all people police come into contact with as "bad guys."

The job is "Protect and serve" not "get bad guys" which is an absurd simplification for anyone let alone a PhD.
    I dunno where you trained or better yet which universe you trained on where you can count on being able to restrain/subdue/detain a combative individual without using some level of force. You aren't being realistic. So tell me, what training did you receive? What environment did you work in? How many times did you have to restrain dangerous and combative individuals with your styrofoam pool noodle or nerf gun? Did you work at Chuck-E-Cheese by chance? Those kids can be assholes for sure.

How do you expect to "protect and serve" effectively without putting away people who are career criminals/predators?

I'm really trying to figure out what idealistic/sheltered world you live in where you can hold the views you appear to espouse.

9 officers connected with the death of a bipolar man have been terminated

It's been months since Matthew ajibade died in police custody and we know almost NOTHING about how he died.

Here's what we do know:

When 22-year-old artist and college student Mathew Ajibade was in the throes of a manic episode from bipolar disorder on New Year’s day on the streets of Savannah, Georgia, his fiancee decided he needed to be at a hospital because he had begun to strike out at her. So the fiancee, Fisayo Odewole, called 911 for an ambulance.
    But instead of an ambulance, the dispatcher sent the police to her, which began a series of events that left her husband-to-be dead in a Chatham County jail cell a few hours later, with no explanation of what killed him.
    Mark O’Mara, the attorney hired by the Ajibade family, is pushing to view the video footage from the newly renovated Chatham County Detention Center, which his office says is equipped with multiple cameras “all over the place.”
    More here: Before Mathew Ajibade Was Killed in a Georgia Jail Cell, His Fiancee Called 911 So Medics Could Bring Him to Hospital; Instead Police Showed Up and Arrested Him - Atlanta Blackstar

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    I dunno where you trained or better yet which universe you trained on where you can count on being able to restrain/subdue/detain a combative individual without using some level of force. You aren't being realistic.

We're not talking about bumps and bruises. We're not talking about people who pose an immediate lethal threat.

That should be obvious.

We're talking about whether excessive force is excusable because hey it's a tough job and mistakes happen.

How do you expect to "protect and serve" effectively without putting away people who are career criminals/predators?
    I expect it to be done without excessive force and for people who use excessive force to be held accountable.

MBTI
    ISTx

So much information missing. So much finger pointing. Bias/agenda clear. Head hurting.

First of all, it doesn't matter if you call 9-11 to get someone to the hospital. If a call is placed with emergency services and the situation is explained as involving someone who is possibly combative, mentally deranged, etc police are going to respond as well. Apparently it was determined by personnel on scene that a crime was committed and that an arrest had to be made. Bipolar is not a get out of jail free card, FYI. Secondly, the jails are ran by the Sheriff's department, not the police.

COPS LOOKIN FOR THE NEXT PERSON TO KILL!!!! LET'S GO!!!

MBTI
    ISTx

We're not talking about bumps and bruises. We're not talking about people who pose an immediate lethal threat.

That should be obvious.

We're talking about whether excessive force is excusable because hey it's a tough job and mistakes happen.

I expect it to be done without excessive force and for people who use excessive force to be held accountable.
    You said if anyone was hurt your ass would be in trouble. So what you meant is if you shot someone because they were just being difficult your ass would be in trouble. Excessive force is... excessive force. No one should condone excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    COPS LOOKIN FOR THE NEXT PERSON TO KILL!!!! LET'S GO!!!
    I met a kid in his 20's who was planning on becoming a cop. I asked him why. "So I can crack some skulls whenever I want to." He wasn't joking. I told him to get professional help and forget about becoming a cop. If you don't think the police already have thousands of people like that kid in the organization, you're living in a fantasy world.
    From this hour I ordain myself loos’d of limits and imaginary lines.
    Likes Stanton Moore, riva, Lateralus liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I met a kid in his 20's who was planning on becoming a cop. I asked him why. "So I can crack some skulls whenever I want to." He wasn't joking. I told him to get professional help and forget about becoming a cop. If you don't think the police already have thousands of people like that kid in the organization, you're living in a fantasy world.

On my first day of police academy at Queens College in 1999, I, along with 1,400 other young men and women in ill-fitting suits, heard a lieutenant deliver this speech:

Ten percent of you were meant to be police officers. You have it in your blood and bones and you will excel in this profession. For 80% of you, this is a job. It’s a job you will do well and honorably for your career with the NYPD. Ten percent of you should never have made it this far. You are too dumb, too damaged, or too criminal to be police officers and you very well will be hurt, killed, or arrested in the years to come.
    That comes from this surprisingly candid article by a former NYPD officer. I still take issue with his opinion, but at least he's being honest.

Call me crazy, but I think we should institute reforms that will hold those corrupt 10% accountable and make sure they don't adversely affect the schmoes that are just working a job.

Good Samaritan Reports Cop for Assaulting a Woman, He’s then Beaten and Arrested for It

According to the New Times, Adamescu was arrested for felony battery on a law enforcement officer, resisting an officer with violence, and disorderly conduct. Archer also charged Mossberg with obstructing justice. In arrest reports, Archer claims Mossberg and Adamescu attacked him despite his telling them he was a cop and showing his badge.

These charges would all be dropped two months later. Archer was initially suspended but then was immediately reinstated.

But for nearly two years, Archer would go unpunished for his assault on this Good Samaritan.

Friday, Internal Affairs finally handed down his official “punishment” for his brutality. For actions that would have landed the average citizen in jail, or at the very least fired, Archer will only be suspended for 160 hours.

“Officer Archer was found to have violated several Department and City rule violations, including excessive use of force, mistreatment of a prisoner, conduct unbecoming an employee of the city, and negligence and inefficiency in the performance of his duties,” Ernesto Rodriguez, an MBPD spokesman, tells New Times.

Coincidentally, Archer is one of the 12 cops who fired more than 100 deadly rounds at Raymond Herisse on Memorial Day weekend in 2011 and wounded four bystanders in the process. He was also sued three times in 2012 for allegedly abusing his police powers and making false arrests.
    Also in the link above is new security footage showing the officer punching and kicking a handcuffed woman.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Dedicated to Aiyana Jones and Tamir Rice...dance on little sister and little brother:

Page 36 of 54 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast