User Tag List

First 22303132333442 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

We happened to have a shelter-in-place this morning at work, in a conference room, so someone flipped on the TV -- just in time to catch the press conference here in Baltimore.

Six police officers charged with homicide. That's a huge deal. The charges seemed endless as Mosby rattled them off. I don't know Maryland law, but someone said, "That's a life sentence" to the first officer charged. She also explained the basic details of the case (she took about 5-10 minutes to walk through the entire sequence of events), that he was arrested "without cause," then not secured within the vehicle (at multiple stops), that no officers rendered medical aid at multiple points when he had requested it, etc. He also was cuffed with his hands behind his back and in shackles, and had already expressed a need for medical aid which was ignored; kids in schoobuses, even without belts, are still in a pretty closed-off area the ways the seats are designed + have use of all their limbs. [No one is saying Grey is a heroic figure either; it's simply that in this case there was not probable cause for his arrest, and after illegally arresting him, the police did not follow the established BPD protocol in multiple ways, resulting in his injury and death.]

Pretty big news. Mosby also gave a really great presentation in terms of hitting on all the proper diplomatic points. I am not sure what she could have done better... they must have had a lot of people working on that speech.

I can only imagine what the city would look like this weekend if they HADN'T been charged, though. The tension level has palpably decreased, somewhat.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes spirilis liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    We happened to have a shelter-in-place this morning at work, in a conference room, so someone flipped on the TV -- just in time to catch the press conference here in Baltimore.

Six police officers charged with homicide. That's a huge deal. The charges seemed endless as Mosby rattled them off. I don't know Maryland law, but someone said, "That's a life sentence" to the first officer charged. She also explained the basic details of the case (she took about 5-10 minutes to walk through the entire sequence of events), that he was arrested "without cause," then not secured within the vehicle (at multiple stops), that no officers rendered medical aid at multiple points when he had requested it, etc. He also was cuffed with his hands behind his back and in shackles, and had already expressed a need for medical aid which was ignored; kids in schoobuses, even without belts, are still in a pretty closed-off area the ways the seats are designed + have use of all their limbs. [No one is saying Grey is a heroic figure either; it's simply that in this case there was not probable cause for his arrest, and after illegally arresting him, the police did not follow the established BPD protocol in multiple ways, resulting in his injury and death.]

Pretty big news. Mosby also gave a really great presentation in terms of hitting on all the proper diplomatic points. I am not sure what she could have done better... they must have had a lot of people working on that speech.

I can only imagine what the city would look like this weekend if they HADN'T been charged, though. The tension level has palpably decreased, somewhat.
    Holy Crap. This is almost unprecedented. I mean they have direct video of the Tamir Rice killing and 5 months later the prosecutor is still investigating.

Here's the Baltimore Sun Report: Six officers charged in death of Freddie Gray - Baltimore Sun
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    He ran from the police. It is a crime to run from the police. But of course, I'm sure Freddie was completely innocent.

Surely he was just on his morning jog when idiot pigs mistakenly thought he was running away from them; when in fact, Freddie was just conditioning for the upcoming marathon. How could pigs be so dumb?

P.S. it is not uncommon for people to malinger once apprehended.

I'm not saying the certain officers involved in this incident didn't fuck it up, but officers get fired and sued in situations like this. If someone that legitimately needs medical assistance is denied that, then that's a big deal obviously. What I'm saying is that I don't think it was some sadistic, torture chamber ride where police were chomping at the bit waiting for the suspect to succumb to his injuries and die. It was a fuck up though, yes. Should it result in the chaos that Baltimore is now facing? I don't think so.
    Looks like the prosecutor disagrees.
    Likes spirilis liked this post

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

The tension may die down, but the *work* has only begun, for all of us.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so
    Likes Totenkindly, Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Looks like the prosecutor disagrees.
    Yeah, in the press conference, she said the police made eye contact with Freddie on simply a drive by and he ran, but there was no indication he had committed a crime. When they grabbed him, he was carrying nothing that suggested he had committed a crime; he had a flat folded knife in his pocket, but the blade was folded into the handle and the knife was legal. So they judged it as an illegitimate arrest, as it's not a crime to run. Why did he run? I can brainstorm some shady reasons and I can brainstorm some legitimate reasons, and can't really speak as to the actual why. But it looks like the investigators decided they had no legitimate reason to take him in.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Yeah, in the press conference, she said the police made eye contact with Freddie on simply a drive by and he ran, but there was no indication he had committed a crime. When they grabbed him, he was carrying nothing that suggested he had committed a crime; he had a flat folded knife in his pocket, but the blade was folded into the handle and the knife was legal. So they judged it as an illegitimate arrest, as it's not a crime to run. Why did he run? I can brainstorm some shady reasons and I can brainstorm some legitimate reasons, and can't really speak as to the actual why. But it looks like the investigators decided they had no legitimate reason to take him in.
    I don't argue that he was a shady character, but he told his bail bondsman that on his last charge he had drugs planted on him. Could have just been a story he made up. But being the person he was I don't think he needed a reason to run.

If they had a half-way legitimate explanation for how freddy died it might have been ok. For instance in St. Louis there have been a couple of police killings in the past year where people were initially upset, but once they heard the explanation like a knife was involved or a gun people chilled out even if they were skeptical. Obviously this wasn't the same since freddy was shackled, but if they had evidence for an alternative explanation for the injuries people would have paid attention to it.

A Short History of Sadistic Police Van "Rough Rides"

When a handcuffed Freddie Gray was placed in a Baltimore police van on April 12, he was talking and breathing. When the 25-year-old emerged, "he could not talk and he could not breathe," according to one police official, and he died a week later of a spinal injury.

But Gray is not the first person to come out of a Baltimore police wagon with serious injuries.

Relatives of Dondi Johnson Sr., who was left a paraplegic after a 2005 police van ride, won a $7.4 million verdict against police officers. A year earlier, Jeffrey Alston was awarded $39 million by a jury after he became paralyzed from the neck down as the result of a van ride. Others have also received payouts after filing lawsuits.
    Protest

For some, such injuries have been inflicted by what is known as a "rough ride" — an "unsanctioned technique" in which police vans are driven to cause "injury or pain" to unbuckled, handcuffed detainees, former city police officer Charles J. Key testified as an expert five years ago in a lawsuit over Johnson's subsequent death.

As daily protests continue in the streets of Baltimore, authorities are trying to determine how Gray was injured, and their focus is on the 30-minute van ride that followed his arrest. "It's clear what happened, happened inside the van," Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said Monday at a news conference.

Christine Abbott, a 27-year-old assistant librarian at the Johns Hopkins University, is suing city officers in federal court, alleging that she got such a ride in 2012. According to the suit, officers cuffed Abbott's hands behind her back, threw her into a police van, left her unbuckled and "maniacally drove" her to the Northern District police station, "tossing [her] around the interior of the police van."

"They were braking really short so that I would slam against the wall, and they were taking really wide, fast turns," Abbott said in an interview that mirrored allegations in her lawsuit. "I couldn't brace myself. I was terrified."

The lawsuit states she suffered unspecified injuries from the arrest and the ride.

"You feel like a piece of cargo," she added. "You don't feel human."
    Freddie Gray not the first to come out of Baltimore police van with serious injuries - Baltimore Sun

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Beorn, you might enjoy some of the stuff David Simon has written about this.

David Simon: 'There are now two Americas. My country is a horror show' | US news | The Guardian

David Simon | Baltimore

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...more-s-anguish

Also, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the police had planted drugs on Freddie Grey during a previous arrest. The police have an incentive to lie. They are almost never held accountable for lying and when those in power lack accountability, they will abuse their power. That is a universal truth.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."
    Likes Beorn liked this post

maybe police departments should start screening for applicants named caesar or nero.

where's a toga smiley when you need one?