User Tag List

First 20282930313240 Last

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

High crime areas have fewer job opportunities. The rioters burned down a CVS store. What if CVS decides not to rebuild? That's over a dozen jobs lost, perhaps permanently. I think the media shoulders much of the blame in inciting these riots. The fraudulent narrative of innocent black youths being gunned down by white people was created by the media in the aftermath of the Trayvon Martin shooting. They've been pushing this narrative pretty much non-stop despite scant evidence and they got what they wanted.
    I have successfully counted the number of moles on Morgan Freeman's face but I'm not sharing.
    Likes swordpath liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    The fraudulent narrative of innocent black youths being gunned down by white people was created by the media in the aftermath of the Trayvon Martin shooting. They've been pushing this narrative pretty much non-stop despite scant evidence and they got what they wanted.

Nope.

Freddie Gray Is Only the Latest Apparent Victim of Baltimore Police Violence - The Atlantic

There are so many good reasons for locals to be outraged.

The Baltimore Sun's article shows why in detail. And a few choice excerpts are the best beginning in this attempt to contextualize the ongoing protests within recent history.

Let's start with the money.

$5.7 million is the amount the city paid to victims of brutality between 2011 and 2014. And as huge as that figure is, the more staggering number in the article is this one: "Over the past four years, more than 100 people have won court judgments or settlements related to allegations of brutality and civil-rights violations." What tiny percentage of the unjustly beaten win formal legal judgments?

If you're imagining that they were all men in their twenties, think again:

Victims include a 15-year-old boy riding a dirt bike, a 26-year-old pregnant accountant who had witnessed a beating, a 50-year-old woman selling church raffle tickets, a 65-year-old church deacon rolling a cigarette and an 87-year-old grandmother aiding her wounded grandson. Those cases detail a frightful human toll. Officers have battered dozens of residents who suffered broken bones — jaws, noses, arms, legs, ankles — head trauma, organ failure, and even death, coming during questionable arrests. Some residents were beaten while handcuffed; others were thrown to the pavement.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Victims include a 15-year-old boy riding a dirt bike, a 26-year-old pregnant accountant who had witnessed a beating, a 50-year-old woman selling church raffle tickets, a 65-year-old church deacon rolling a cigarette and an 87-year-old grandmother aiding her wounded grandson.
    The Atlantic article leaves out the context in most of these cases; it's one sided and very clearly biased. Are some of these "victims" criminals or engaging in criminal activity? Of course there are bad police officers just as there are bad lawyers and bad politicians and it's the job of the Mayor and the City Council to institute reforms. My advice: if you don't want to get beaten up by the police, don't commit any crimes or more broadly ....don't be an idiot.
    I have successfully counted the number of moles on Morgan Freeman's face but I'm not sharing.
    Likes swordpath liked this post

The Atlantic article leaves out the context in most of these cases; it's one sided and very clearly biased.
    These are all civil cases that were settled. You can read more detail here: Undue force - Sun Investigates - The Baltimore Sun

Are some of these "victims" criminals or engaging in criminal activity?
    Are you kidding me? That doesn't matter. Anyway, IN EVERY INSTANCE mentioned the charges were dropped.

Of course there are bad police officers just as there are bad lawyers and bad politicians
    #NOTALLCOPS

and it's the job of the Mayor and the City Council to institute reforms.
    And when there aren't you get riots.

My advice: if you don't want to get beaten up by the police, don't commit any crimes or more broadly ....don't be an idiot.
    These were questionable cases and the charges were dropped which means you could be doing nothing wrong (very possibly like Freddie Gray) and still get the shit beat out of you.
    Even if each and every case was a justified arrest the beat downs represent and uncivil and unjust environment.
    You know... that whole innocent until proven guilty thing kinda matters.
    Likes spirilis, riva liked this post

Yup. Just don't commit crimes...

On a cold January afternoon, Jerriel Lyles parked his car in front of the P&J Carry Out on East Monument Street and darted inside to buy some food. After paying for a box of chicken, he noticed a big guy in jeans, a hooded sweatshirt and a baseball cap.

“What’s up?” the man said to Lyles. Others, also dressed in jeans and hoodies, blocked the door to the street — making Lyles fear that he would be robbed. Instead, the man identified himself a police officer, frisked Lyles and demanded he sit on the greasy floor. Lyles objected.

“The officer hit me so hard it felt like his radio was in his hand,” Lyles testified about the 2009 incident, after suing Detective David Greene. “The blow was so heavy. My eyes swelled up. Blood was dripping down my nose and out my eye.”

The Baltimore detective offered a different version of events in court, saying that Lyles’ injuries might have resulted from poking himself in the face. He also couldn’t say why officers stopped Lyles, who was not charged with any crime.

But jurors didn’t buy the officer’s explanation. They ruled in Lyles’ favor, and the court ultimately ordered the city to pay him $200,000, the statutory limit in Maryland for most lawsuits against a municipality.
    Undue force - Sun Investigates - The Baltimore Sun
    Likes spirilis liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

The Atlantic article leaves out the context in most of these cases; it's one sided and very clearly biased. Are some of these "victims" criminals or engaging in criminal activity? Of course there are bad police officers just as there are bad lawyers and bad politicians and it's the job of the Mayor and the City Council to institute reforms. My advice: if you don't want to get beaten up by the police, don't commit any crimes or more broadly ....don't be an idiot.
    You're so naive. That's something I would expect an 8 year old to believe, not someone who is supposedly an adult.

The problem isn't "bad cops". It's a system that doesn't hold police officers accountable for their misconduct. You think firing bad teachers is difficult? Try firing a "bad cop". Police unions are awful.

Incidentally, when Scott Walker purged Wisconsin of its public sector unions, he didn't touch police unions. Why? Because they were the most powerful and could hurt him the most if he stood up to them. They also donated to his campaign(s). Democratic politicians aren't the only ones in bed with unions.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."
    Likes spirilis liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

High crime areas have fewer job opportunities. The rioters burned down a CVS store. What if CVS decides not to rebuild? That's over a dozen jobs lost, perhaps permanently. I think the media shoulders much of the blame in inciting these riots. The fraudulent narrative of innocent black youths being gunned down by white people was created by the media in the aftermath of the Trayvon Martin shooting. They've been pushing this narrative pretty much non-stop despite scant evidence and they got what they wanted.
    Yeah, we were discussing that first part here at work. A lot of big businesses have left Baltimore. Now, with these riots, maybe the last remaining few will pull out their employees / move to another location. The stadiums are a huge deal and pull in a lot of business; burning down the local bars and trashing the stadium only scares off the crowds who would spend money here.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I'm about to leave work. Our facility has thousands of people, and due to rumors about the nearby mall being on the "riot list" even though it's way out at the beltway (not in the middle of the city), the mall shut down today and now our facility is shut down. I'm only still here because I didn't feel like fighting the parking lot rush. It's crazy that I have to wonder if there will be destruction in my neighborhood this evening, due to opportunists taking advantage of the fact the police are all occupied elsewhere.

It just builds and builds.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Tellenbach liked this post

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    These were questionable cases and the charges were dropped which means you could be doing nothing wrong (very possibly like Freddie Gray) and still get the shit beat out of you.
    He ran from the police. It is a crime to run from the police. But of course, I'm sure Freddie was completely innocent. Surely he was just on his morning jog when idiot pigs mistakenly thought he was running away from them; when in fact, Freddie was just conditioning for the upcoming marathon. How could pigs be so dumb?

P.S. it is not uncommon for people to malinger once apprehended.

I'm not saying the certain officers involved in this incident didn't fuck it up, but officers get fired and sued in situations like this. If someone that legitimately needs medical assistance is denied that, then that's a big deal obviously. What I'm saying is that I don't think it was some sadistic, torture chamber ride where police were chomping at the bit waiting for the suspect to succumb to his injuries and die. It was a fuck up though, yes. Should it result in the chaos that Baltimore is now facing? I don't think so.
    Likes Tellenbach liked this post

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Schoolbuses don't have seatbelts either and usually the kids turn out just fine

J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"; aka "jscrothers"; aka "bologna"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn
    Even if each and every case was a justified arrest the beat downs represent and uncivil and unjust environment.
    I agree. That is why every police officer should wear a video camera to capture every interaction with the public.

What all these cases point out is a lack of a deterrent that's harmless to the perp. The police need a device that knocks out the criminal without harming him; tasers are not good enough. Someone needs to develop a strong but harmless tranquilizer type device.