User Tag List

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Police Misconduct Thread

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    The real question is if "good" cops refuse to hold bad cops accountable are they really good cops?
    Where does this question even come from? Where's the epidemic of cops not holding bad cops accountable?

Google "chemtrails" Array Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENtP
    Enneagram
    395 sp

Just stumbled upon this. The guy in the OP was charged.
    COLUMBIA, SC — An S.C. trooper who stopped a man for a seat belt violation outside Columbia and then shot him – apparently without provocation – was arrested Wednesday and charged with assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature.

Sean Groubert, 31, a lance corporal who was fired from the Highway Patrol after the shooting incident, now faces 20 years in prison if convicted of wrongfully shooting the driver, Levar Jones.
    That's quite the consequence. We'll have to see how it unfolds.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"; aka "jscrothers"; aka "bologna"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Where does this question even come from? Where's the epidemic of cops not holding bad cops accountable?
    See

I wouldn't call him a criminal. He made a snap decision, one you'll likely never have to make because you are not in that role/position. It turned out to be the wrong decision, but does that make it inherently criminal? Should there be some form of repercussion for shooting a man that turns out to be innocent, yes, but it's also a gray area when as a police officer you're trained in a tactical manner and are always surveying for danger signs. Monday morning quarterbacking it's more than simple to call that officer an idiot. But when you're the law officer and understand that there are people out there that want/will kill you it changes how you approach each encounter with a citizen. If I'm approaching someone that I am encountering for the first time on a traffic stop and they quickly dive back into their vehicle for something you can guarantee my hand is at least headed towards my firearm.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ISTx

See
    If that's your reply then you missed what I was saying obviously.

And was it too much trouble to include this quote?

For the story of a dick cop that beats the shit out of someone undeservedly every once in a while, of course, screw those bad apples. Fire them, charge them with their crime and let's move on.

I wouldn't call him a criminal.
    Well he's been arrested like a criminal and if there's any justice in the world he'll be convicted as he has no basis for self-defense.

He made a snap decision, one you'll likely never have to make because you are not in that role/position.
    I've made the decision not to attack people that turn their back on me many times. I've also restrained violent people many many times without incident.

It turned out to be the wrong decision, but does that make it inherently criminal?
    Yes. He assaulted a person without justification. No reasonable person would shoot someone for reaching into a car. That's a crime. Being a police officer doesn't change anything. Well, I don't know the exact laws in SC, but if he had killed him his imperfect self-defense (belief he was acting in self-defense without a reasonable basis) could have possibily mitigated the charge and brought it down to voluntary manslaughter and in this situation he might get some leniency on sentencing, but the crime is still the crime.

Should there be some form of repercussion for shooting a man that turns out to be innocent, yes, but it's also a gray area when as a police officer you're trained in a tactical manner and are always surveying for danger signs.
    No. This proves he was either poorly trained or ignored his training.

Monday morning quarterbacking it's more than simple to call that officer an idiot.
    Monday morning quarterbacking is exactly what the justice system is designed to do. People take action and then the system judges them for those actions. Police are in no way protected from this.

But when you're the law officer and understand that there are people out there that want/will kill you it changes how you approach each encounter with a citizen.
    Sure. That has nothing to do with recklessly shooting people without reason.

If I'm approaching someone that I am encountering for the first time on a traffic stop and they quickly dive back into their vehicle for something you can guarantee my hand is at least headed towards my firearm.
    Sure. That's reasonable.

That's not what I said. Perhaps, I misunderstood what you said. Maybe you can explain what you meant by this:
    "I'm pretty sure the police (and swamp-load of unnecessary crimes) created the Us v. Them mentality."
    You complained about people disregarding the laws. That implies lawbreakers. Of course a large part of my complaint that people can't help but disregard the laws because there are so many. But, really being opposed to excessive criminalization is not the same thing as disregarding the law.

For crying out loud yesterday I stopped burning just a few papers when I stopped to check the local laws and realized it wasn't legal.

an abyss of Nothingness Array Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

There are going to be doctors who screw up and kill their patients.
    There are going to be teachers who have sex with their students.
    There are going to be priests who like little boys.
    There are going to be cops who fuck up.
    It's not okay, but that's the world we live in, it's full of sucks and fucks because it is made up by flawed human beings. Though, there are still plenty of people who try every single day to do the best at their job, they're the ones who are going to be offended by being put in a bunch.

What does this kind of thread really do? To raise awareness? "Fuck the police" is already among the most popular graffiti. "If you see da Police, Warn a Brother" is already many's favorite T-shirt. Videos of the misconducts are well updated on youtube. To get a "On behalf of all police officers, I sincerely apologize" from an officer and carry on anyway with present and future rants on the police?
    Meanwhile, a rapist thug or a border-crossing cannibal have fan clubs because... they're "gorgeous" like "Versace model" and they're "not afraid to be different".

This thread can carry on the way it's designed to. Right, cops are a bunch of idiots. But next time you're in danger, I bet I know who ya'll gonna call. Sometimes, life is only shockingly that simple. *Gasp*

*clap clap*, now carry on!
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |
    Likes swordpath, digesthisickness liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hysteria View Post
    This thread can carry on the way it's designed to. Right, cops are a bunch of idiots. But next time you're in danger, I bet I know who ya'll gonna call.
    These days I'd think twice before I'd call. I'm only calling if it's a situation that is so peaceful that it is unlikely to escalate or that it is so dangerous that it requires a group of people with guns. Anything in between and I'm not calling because I can't trust them to not unnecessarily escalate the situation.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Yay, these threads...

I'm just going to post cool cop videos instead:

Holy Balls.

I feel qualified to comment on the inner workings of a police department because of my intimate knowledge through watching Southland (or at least like the first season).

I think most law abiding citizens find cops annoying because generally their only encounters are being pulled over and popped with a 200 dollar ticket for 11 miles over a 50MPH speed limit, or something.

I lived in Atlanta for two years and have made numerous "traffic violations" (u-turns in no u-turn areas, but making sure it was safe) RIGHT in front of a cop car without realizing it. Never got pulled over. I feel in a big city like that they will definitely pull you over so maybe I got lucky, but all in all, I think they've got bigger problems to worry about. Gun wielding crack dealers and such.

Within 2 days of coming home for Christmas in lil 'ol Arkansas, I got popped for going 12 miles over in a ridiculous 35mph FIVE LANE road at night with virtually no one on it. 200 bucks. Thanks officer! Continue fighting crime! I literally said that.

Annoying as shit that most don't listen to reason, or pay attention to the bigger picture of a little situation like that, or that I haven't been in a wreck in 14 years (even then it wasn't my fault, knock on wood).

But it is a shame that cops almost entirely get NEGATIVE media coverage, at least on mainstream news.

I've had PLENTY of run ins with good cops, and even if I'm rude to one AFTER they give me a ticket, I respect them and the hard job they have overall.

They are trained and drilled to handle killers, so when there's an excessive beating or some misconduct, it's just how it is. Yes, there should be consequences, but when you feel your life is in danger, adrenaline and training kicks in.

And I'm not excusing the officer's reaction to this: Caught on Tape: Police make forceful arrest | Video Library | The Daily News Journal

But JESUS CHRIST don't turn your back and get your wallet like you're trying to break a time record. Someone reaches for something that stupidly fast and whips around, I'd be wide eyed and flooded with adrenaline, especially from the perspective of an officer.

When I get pulled over, I do everything in slow motion.

And the "forceful arrest" video? Maybe instead of trying to wrestle a cop and grab his gun, you should like, not do that.

And what was on his mind when he was beating him was probably, "Ok I"m not going to try to get close and take him down again, he went for my fucking GUN." And he really only hit him a couple of times after he was down. He'll live.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

These days I'd think twice before I'd call. I'm only calling if it's a situation that is so peaceful that it is unlikely to escalate or that it is so dangerous that it requires a group of people with guns. Anything in between and I'm not calling because I can't trust them to not unnecessarily escalate the situation.
    Ftr, this is what I'd do in my suburb where police are much less likely to be over-zealous. In jurisdictions with a history of police problems I would be much more hesitant to call even in the most peaceful situations. Why? Well...

San Francisco police beat up and detain Good Samaritans who call 911 and perform first aid on accident victim

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast