User Tag List

First 19272829303139 Last

Of course Freddie Gray deserves to be listed here, too. I'm pretty sure we still don't know why he was arrested in the first place.

Freddie Gray, the Baltimore Man Who Died of Spinal Injury Sustained in Police Custody - The Atlantic
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Police stand around and mock victim of police beating instead of getting him treatment.

Defenders exclusive: New video shows Inkster cops laughing while Floyd Dent bleeds | News - Home
    There is something seriously wrong with police in the US. I am sure we have our share of asshats here, but something like that would cause a major outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    There is something seriously wrong with police in the US. I am sure we have our share of asshats here, but something like that would cause a major outrage.
    I'm sorry I can't hear you over the sound of all the police misconduct.

South Carolina cops face prison time for sadistically tasering mentally disabled woman

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Baltimore's a mess today. I don't go into that part of the city, but it's only about six miles from my apartment (I'm due west of Inner Harbor but out almost at the beltway, the riots started next to Druid Park, near the city's center northwest of Inner harbor -- Druid Park holds various events during the summer).

Yeah, not sure why Freddie Gray was even arrested. And apparently he asked for medical attention but wasn't given it, then was basically fubar by the time he got taken in.

The family claims they didn't know about the riots, and it is being attributed to outsiders; first Missouri and other places, now here.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Baltimore's a mess today.
    It's been a mess for decades.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz
    Likes Totenkindly, Beorn liked this post

The city of Chicago has spent half a BILLION dollars on police misconduct civil suits in the last decade.

Wait until someone records a white Chicago cop killing a black person unlawfully then you'll really see the shit hit the fan.

The family claims they didn't know about the riots, and it is being attributed to outsiders; first Missouri and other places, now here.
    what i don't understand is what the mayor was trying to convey when she said they're "giving those who wish to destroy space to do it."

in retrospect, she is now claiming that her words were misconstrued by the media, but they are pretty straightforward. what else could she have meant by that statement?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by pixie sticks View Post
    what i don't understand is what the mayor was trying to convey when she said they're "giving those who wish to destroy space to do it."

in retrospect, she is now claiming that her words were misconstrued by the media, but they are pretty straightforward. what else could she have meant by that statement?
    I would not really know. I am not privy to the details or the strategies to make things "deescalate," which is what she said they were trying to do. Rationally, I don't want to see people destroy things, yet at the same time, how do you make them stop -- do you just start shooting a bunch of people in the streets? Remember that the behavior is being triggered by the abuse of black people by white police, so having white cops shoot/beat black people to stop the riot is just going to make it blow up more.

Sometimes you just let things play out without trying to add any more energy to the situation, let it play out, then crack down after the fact as long as there are not lives on the line. I don't know. That's all I can guess that sounds legitimate.

Later the mayor said, ""At the end of the day we are one Baltimore. We need to support peaceful demonstration and continue to enforce in our communities that rioting, violence, and looting will not be tolerated in our city." So I would expect afterwards that people might be punished if they were marked as participants in the looting.

I should say there was a lot of peaceful protesting going on as well, and later today a bunch of clergy walked through the rioting in an attempt to lessen/stop the violence. the reports make it sounds like the city is going up in flames, but really it's just a particular area of the city, and there are many white and black people who were involved in the funeral, peaceful legal protests, and trying to wind down the violence.

----

Still, they have to resolve this whole Freddie Gray matter. There's no reason something like that should have happened.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I would not really know. I am not privy to the details or the strategies to make things "deescalate," which is what she said they were trying to do. Rationally, I don't want to see people destroy things, yet at the same time, how do you make them stop -- do you just start shooting a bunch of people in the streets? Remember that the behavior is being triggered by the abuse of black people by white police, so having white cops shoot/beat black people to stop the riot is just going to make it blow up more.

Sometimes you just let things play out without trying to add any more energy to the situation, let it play out, then crack down after the fact as long as there are not lives on the line. I don't know. That's all I can guess that sounds legitimate.

Later the mayor said, ""At the end of the day we are one Baltimore. We need to support peaceful demonstration and continue to enforce in our communities that rioting, violence, and looting will not be tolerated in our city." So I would expect afterwards that people might be punished if they were marked as participants in the looting.

I should say there was a lot of peaceful protesting going on as well, and later today a bunch of clergy walked through the rioting in an attempt to lessen/stop the violence. the reports make it sounds like the city is going up in flames, but really it's just a particular area of the city, and there are many white and black people who were involved in the funeral, peaceful legal protests, and trying to wind down the violence.

----

Still, they have to resolve this whole Freddie Gray matter. There's no reason something like that should have happened.
    arguably, those who are rioting and looting are doing so simply because the opportunity presented itself. how is stealing merchandise from stores going to solve anything? thugs will be thugs. even the mayor referred to them as such. the media reported that half of the police department in baltimore is black. it's interesting how people go out of there way to distinguish "peaceful protestors" from violent criminals, but then group all police officers (particularly white officers) into one big category and immediately assume racist motivations anytime an incident occurs involving a black suspect, even if the suspect is posing a threat to the officer (michael brown) while completely ignoring all other incidents in the country that involve black officers or non-black suspects. the media is partially to blame for fuelling this racial tension. police brutality may very well be a factor in this case and the investigation should uncover that. but there's no doubt that in baltimore, like in ferguson, law-enforcement is walking on eggshells and are hesitant to even protect the city from criminals running amok because the pc police are breathing down their necks. violent mobs should be restrained regardless of what color they are.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Again, how would you have "restrained" them in a way that wouldn't potentially result in a much larger riot? There are practical issues to resolve in how to accomplish the task; I don't think anyone actually prefers to see looting and burning occurring.

I think that was my point before. I don't know all the constraints they were working under, and to write it off as "pc" is kind of short-sighted IMO since I think there are rational difficulties in how to quell a riot so that it doesn't blow out of control completely and so as to avoid loss of life.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :bye:
  • :hi:
  • :)
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :wink:
  • ;)
  • :newwink: