User Tag List

First 891011122060 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 645

  1. #91
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hysteria View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    It just doesn't make sense to push an "us vs them" mentality on those who are literally telling you they don't have that mentality and won't operate based on that.
    Absolutely agree.
    That may be the case on a day to day basis, but when things go wrong, what then?
    Nobody crosses the blue line.
    This thread makes that obvious and police officer public actions make that obvious.
    For example:

    St. Louis County Cops were wearing 'I Am Darren Wilson' Wristbands until the DOJ made them stop
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  2. #92
    an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi
    Posts
    670

    Default

    Okay. Realistically and seriously speaking, after you turn off your browser and computer today, what exactly are the concrete actions you plan to take to effectively make the streets a safer place for everyone and to fight corruption? I'm all ears.
    .
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |
    .
    Likes digesthisickness liked this post

  3. #93
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hysteria View Post
    Okay. Realistically and seriously speaking, after you turn off your browser and computer today, what exactly are the concrete actions you plan to take to effectively make the streets a safer place for everyone and to fight corruption? I'm all ears.
    How much time do you have? I'll just talk about today.

    Tonight I'm going to spend some time with a newly minted officer along with some other friends and hopefully develop a better friendship so when things get tough I can give the moral support he needs to make the right decision. He's in a large urban department and he will undoubtedly meet up with some corruption at some point.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  4. #94
    an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi
    Posts
    670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    How much time do you have? I'll just talk about today.

    Tonight I'm going to spend some time with a newly minted officer along with some other friends and hopefully develop a better friendship so when things get tough I can give the moral support he needs to make the right decision. He's in a large urban department and he will undoubtedly meet up with some corruption at some point.
    I feel soooo much safer.

    Lemme dance to that
    .
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |
    .

  5. #95
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hysteria View Post
    I feel soooo much safer.

    Lemme dance to that
    The police are not the main cause of safe streets.
    They make sure people who appear to be wrongdoers are apprehended so that they can be judged and punished.
    Keeping the streets safe is everybody's job.

    I'm not sure how this has anything to do with my argument.
    You seem to be basically just saying only cops can criticize cops.
    Thank God that's not true and we have journalists report that report on their actions and judges and juries that can convict and punish them.
    Last edited by Beorn; 10-03-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Reworded so we wouldn't get on a pedantic rabbit trail
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  6. #96
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hysteria View Post
    Okay. Realistically and seriously speaking, after you turn off your browser and computer today, what exactly are the concrete actions you plan to take to effectively make the streets a safer place for everyone and to fight corruption? I'm all ears.
    replace their weapons with nerf weapons and mace with silly string.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Arctic Hysteria liked this post

  7. #97
    an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi
    Posts
    670

    Default

    I have been informed that quoting PMs is against this forum's rules. I did not educate myself with that rule. My apology. But I won't remove my original post and leave it the way it is, it is up to Mods. If I get banned for bringing that kind of thread-related insult out to public then so be it.... I'm out.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 10-03-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: See Ivy's PM
    .
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |
    .

  8. #98
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hysteria View Post
    I have been informed that quoting PMs is against this forum's rules. I did not educate myself with that rule. My apology. But I won't remove my original post and leave it the way it is, it is up to Mods.
    If I get banned for bringing that kind of thread-related insult out to public then so be it. I'm out.
    You're being melodramatic. You're not going to get banned.

    If you can make a non-convoluted non-fallacious argument that's actually relevant then feel free to come back and discuss things (not that I could stop you since another rule is that OPs do not control threads).
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  9. #99
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Teachers do, yes. What do you think a principle used to be? Who do you think runs those unions? Regular people? The boards at the school and the unions aren't comprised entirely of people who don't know teaching from a picnic table.. they're usually people who have been in the shoes or are in the shoes still. Just like police investigators are usually people who have walked in the shoes of a cop, but not all of them. Doctors don't have a panel of hippies deciding whether what they did was right and wrong... they have other doctors in the hospital. Even for drastic cases (the death of a patient, or a fetus, for example) all go through the board of nurses. Which are made of.. surprise. Nurses. Does that mean no civil/criminal charges can be pressed? Not at all. But it goes through there definitely. Cops can definitely be charged with civil and criminal charges.. and it does happen all the time. Cops are forced to relinquish their careers for stupid things they've done. They don't make the news the same way the big stuff does.. but that's because it's not big stuff.

    It makes sense with unique professions for a lot of self-regulation. A lot goes wrong with it.. but if we had normal people that, say, got all pissed off and decided to hate everyone in the profession, they'd all be doomed from emotional outbursts alone. It's easier to find objective people that have experience dealing with the profession in one way or the other. Laws of A&P and research evidence govern medical professionals, and laws written by the states and government govern the police. It's fair to say there are flaws in that system--no system is perfect and the police could stand for a lot of reform and I've said as much before... but the police are not this mystical jedi race that threw up a 'your droids aren't here' hand and popped smoke while everyone looked away.
    What "teacher's court" was Mary Kay Letourneau tried in? You're saying crimes committed by teachers are investigated by teachers. So please, tell me what teacher's court Mary Kay Letourneau was tried in.

    What "doctor's court" was Kermit Gosnell tried in? You're saying crimes committed by doctors are investigated by doctors. So please, tell me what doctor's court Kermit Gosnell was tried in.

    What "nurse's court" was Charles Cullen tried in? You're saying crimes committed by nurses are investigated by nurses. So please, tell me what nurse's court Charles Cullen was tried in.

    This is a disagreement of information though. I don't think the police have the ability to undermine the government, I don't have anything to prove here. I don't think nurses do that at all, and I don't think police have the capability even if they wanted to.
    You don't think police corruption undermines confidence in government? That's a laughable belief you have there. Corruption is arguably the biggest problem human civilizations face.

    Calm down there triggerfinger. I meant the proverbial general "you" not you in particular. Your 'oh we're all the enemies ' reply is just emotional personal feelings, not based on anything factual at all. Technically, irrelevant, but sure you can feel that way. This is a forum filled with NFs who don't mind emotions in debate. So, I feel like my personal feelings about my experiences are also appropriate here... I've definitely had asshole cops pull me over before.. but by and large, cops both ones I've dealt with on the wrong side of the law and working with them have been overwhelmingly generous people that like their job and are there because they want to actually do the things they stand for. I have not at all gotten the impression that society is the enemy for cops. They literally live in it on their off time. It just doesn't make sense to push an "us vs them" mentality on those who are literally telling you they don't have that mentality and won't operate based on that.
    You are a white female. You are part of the most privileged demographic when it comes to police treatment. What could you possibly know about this? You're like the white guy who says there is no racism because he hasn't seen it firsthand.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  10. #100
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    So please, tell me
    Does that mean no civil/criminal charges can be pressed? Not at all.
    You don't think police corruption undermines confidence in government? That's a laughable belief you have there. Corruption is arguably the biggest problem human civilizations face.
    I don't think they have the ability because, by and large, many police officers do their job to standard. Corruption is bad.. and if all police were corrupted, that'd be awful. But I don't believe they are.

    You are a white female. You are part of the most privileged demographic when it comes to police treatment. What could you possibly know about this? You're like the white guy who says there is no racism because he hasn't seen it firsthand.
    I'm saying my opinion is no more valid than your ranting about how much all police officers ever are garbage. The difference is, I'm acknowledging that the exact merits of the thread about police minority are a truly terrible thing--right from my very first post. I'm not saying they don't exist. I only walked in to say why people would be offended and offering different opinions than the OP and it isn't considered trolling just because it isn't what the OP wanted exactly. I was being cheeky and poking fun at your anger.

    True story bro: I've never suffered police brutality. I have, however, suffered some pretty awful situations in the army ranks being the minority in that field. And guess what? I still wouldn't call all army people bad people. In fact, by and large, I'd say most of them are decent enough average citizens. Not the brightest of the bright if speaking in general terms, but not bad people either.. despite being subjected to just about every 'terrible' thing a privileged white female could expect to deal with in the ranks of nothing but men in a foreign country. Pooor me.. too privileged for anyone to care.. too minority to be exempt from the oppressive majority. And don't even get me started on how much I suffer because I'm red headed. I can feel my SJW wings growing a bit more each and every day.

    Don't justify your hate with talk of privilege and whatever other SJW stuff you wanna throw out here. You know what set apart great movements towards a better world? They didn't hate the side they were trying to fix. If black people had truly hated white people too, we never would have gotten to where we are now in America.. which I think is pretty fuckin' far considering where we were not too long ago. The hate is what makes you unable to move.

    It's why pedophiles never actually get help. Because people hate them too much to help fix the issue. The hate fuels the fire for little girls and boys being touched by adults. No amount of good a whole brigade of cops will ever do just for you will fix your hate. That's something you decided to keep close to your heart.. and you cling to it even if it comes off irrational.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Arctic Hysteria liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. The criminal misconduct thread
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07-22-2016, 08:21 PM
  2. The Never Ending Thread
    By ygolo in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-20-2016, 04:50 PM
  3. The lame jokes thread
    By Sahara in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 211
    Last Post: 05-27-2015, 03:29 AM
  4. The Entertain Niffer Thread
    By niffer in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 07-04-2007, 02:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO