User Tag List

First 456

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Whenever the government starts funding something, it creates a special interest group. When that group becomes established, its objectives change. It no longer has a single objective (research). A new objective is created, one of self-preservation of the group, itself. Those objectives often contradict one another. Over time, it becomes more and more inefficient as the group seeks to preserve itself, rather staying true to its original objective.
    They would be funding universities...it would simply give them more money so they could do more research. Your theory of government funding ruining everything it touches isn't true. Look at things like the National Cancer Institute. Your theory might be true for a few things the government has funding, but funding usually helps...of course.

This statement is simply not true.
    More funding = more research = more progress. So being against the government funding = an idea that holds back progress.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    More funding = more research = more progress. So being against the government funding = an idea that holds back progress.
    That is a gross simplification of the process. Look at ethanol. More government money = more expensive food + still dependent on oil and coal. It was flawed from the start, a political grab for rich farmers in the Midwest.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTj

Stifle? Severely inhibit? I see nothing that would inhibit stem cell research.
    Nothing, other than the lack of funds.

Are you of the opinion that progress is not possible without government assistance?
    Of course not. But additional resources will accelerate the progress.

Religious people are not imposing anything on anyone.
    They are imposing their taboo's on the use of public funds.

If this issue is that important to you, you can donate money to the cause
    Nah. It's more cost effective to vote in the party who will impose my priorities on the other side.

If the US government was going to fund stem cell research, they would have to raise taxes, print money, or cut back on another program to cover the extra expenses.
    I vote for number 3, cut back on the dumb programs.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That is a gross simplification of the process. Look at ethanol. More government money = more expensive food + still dependent on oil and coal. It was flawed from the start, a political grab for rich farmers in the Midwest.
    If your point is that the government tends to squander public funds, I don't disagree with you.

But even if 90% gets pissed away, the programs which receives funding is still better off that the ones which doesn't.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    If your point is that the government tends to squander public funds, I don't disagree with you.

But even if 90% gets pissed away, the programs which receives funding is still better off that the ones which doesn't.
    Stem cell research would still be far better off in the long run if the government got out of the way, instead of holding the purse strings and making the rules.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Ethanol is stupid to invest in in the first place. We are talking about stem cells.

Of course more funding and research is going to help stem cell progress, I don't think anyone's contesting that.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Nothing, other than the lack of funds.

Of course not. But additional resources will accelerate the progress.

They are imposing their taboo's on the use of public funds.
    If you're unable to understand how the government can retard progress through funding, there's really no point in discussing this with you.

Nah. It's more cost effective to vote in the party who will impose my priorities on the other side.
    Ahh, so you're a hypocrite. You think it's okay for you to impose your values on others, but you scream bloody murder when (you think) it's being done to you.

I vote for number 3, cut back on the dumb programs.
    You're Canadian so it's possible you just don't know. The US never cuts back. At best, we reduce the rate of increase in spending.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTj

Stem cell research would still be far better off in the long run if the government got out of the way, instead of holding the purse strings and making the rules.
    Perhaps. But they insist on taking the money, so I want them to spend it on something useful.

MBTI
    INTj

If you're unable to understand how the government can retard progress through funding, there's really no point in discussing this with you.
    Don't be silly. Enlighten me on how the lack of funding is helpful to a project.

Ahh, so you're a hypocrite. You think it's okay for you to impose your values on others, but you scream bloody murder when (you think) it's being done to you.
    That's democracy. Majority imposes their biases on the minority. Where's the hypocrisy? All I'm saying is, don't vote in the politicians who don't share your values.

You're Canadian so it's possible you just don't know. The US never cuts back. At best, we reduce the rate of increase in spending.
    [/quote]

I never said that they would cut spending. I said they should cut funding to useless projects so that more will be available for the good ones. The government insist on spending our money, so we might as well have them spend it on something useful.

Do you actually believe the Canadian government is a role model for fiscal responsibility?