User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I get really annoyed when people use bullshit arguments like this. The US government has not banned stem cell research. They don't fund it.
    Perhaps "stifle" is too strong of a word, but the fact remains that they severely inhibited its progress on behalf of a religious minority.

I'm all for stem cell research, but I don't have a problem with this policy since it would force some people to go against their religious beliefs by contributing to this research (through taxes).
    But this policy allow those people to impose their religious restrictions on everyone else. Many want their tax dollars to be spent on the research. How is this policy fair to them?

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Last I checked, the health care industry was an industry. You know, provide a service for money? That can work, you know.
    Trust me, coming from a future doctor, the current system sucks balls. There definitely should be a more regulated government program for this, we don't have to fight with medicare for money like we do with say Blue Cross Blue Shield. The doctors I work with, have to have atleast 2 secretarys chasing insurance claims around and getting crap approved, the system is out to screw everyone except the company.

Trust me, not all govco run programs suck, think U.S. Military and Postal Service. The government can and does provide good things if it is pushed the right way.

And yet, our adults are possibly the most educated in the world, because our colleges are by far the best (and many of the best are private, or are state institutions mostly funded through tuition). We already spend a about $8,700 per student annually, and that figure is amongst the highest in the world. Finland is widely considered to have the best primary schooling in the world, and they spend about half as much per student than we do, at PPP. It's not just a matter of spending money. How about ending the war AND cutting taxes for everyone?
    28% have bachelors

This is good, but trust me, if more kids were prepared and motivated, that number would be much higher, and you wouldn't see so many foreigners filling our graduate labs. Man, if you walk into the chemistry department at our school, you would think you just stepped into Hong Kong, or the Electrical Engineering Department you would think you were in Bombay. Most of these people are not U.S. citezens and they out number the American grad students by an insane amount.

Even if we are good, we can definitely improve.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Perhaps "stifle" is too strong of a word, but the fact remains that they severely inhibited its progress on behalf of a religious minority.
    Stifle? Severely inhibit? I've already posted a link to the US government's position on the issue. I see nothing that would inhibit stem cell research. I don't believe that your statement is a fact. Are you of the opinion that progress is not possible without government assistance?

But this policy allow those people to impose their religious restrictions on everyone else. Many want their tax dollars to be spent on the research. How is this policy fair to them?
    /facepalm

Religious people are not imposing anything on anyone. If this issue is that important to you, you can donate money to the cause. It's called charity. There are no laws against that. And it's actually more efficient than having the money pass through the hands of the government.

If the US government was going to fund stem cell research, they would have to raise taxes, print money, or cut back on another program to cover the extra expenses.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I get really annoyed when people use bullshit arguments like this. The US government has not banned stem cell research. They don't fund it. I'm all for stem cell research, but I don't have a problem with this policy since it would force some people to go against their religious beliefs by contributing to this research (through taxes).

Federal Policy [Stem Cell Information]
    They do more than simply not fund it, Gingrich made it illegal to use embryonic stem cells in places where federal funding is happening. That's a little more than just not funding it.

Think about all the ridiculous things the government funds, this could save mine or your life someday, might as support it getting funding anyway possible. Is it really not worth .00001% of your income?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Ayrab View Post
    Trust me, coming from a future doctor, the current system sucks balls. There definitely should be a more regulated government program for this, we don't have to fight with medicare for money like we do with say Blue Cross Blue Shield. The doctors I work with, have to have atleast 2 secretarys chasing insurance claims around and getting crap approved, the system is out to screw everyone except the company.
    I work at a hospital. Trust me, the government often does more harm than good, and it was their regulations that brought the rise of the HMO in the first place. The system right now is a mess, but it's not a free market in health care by any stretch. The various levels of government in the United States spend 40 cents for every dollar spent on health care each year.

Trust me, not all govco run programs suck, think U.S. Military and Postal Service. The government can and does provide good things if it is pushed the right way.
    Wow, you picked THOSE two examples? The military is a notoriously wasteful bureaucracy, and the Postal Service is a protected monopoly that is overpriced and poor at adapting to market changes.

28% have bachelors

This is good, but trust me, if more kids were prepared and motivated, that number would be much higher, and you wouldn't see so many foreigners filling our graduate labs. Man, if you walk into the chemistry department at our school, you would think you just stepped into Hong Kong, or the Electrical Engineering Department you would think you were in Bombay. Most of these people are not U.S. citezens and they out number the American grad students by an insane amount.

Even if we are good, we can definitely improve.
    Did you ever stop to think that the reason we have so many foreigners in our grad programs is that we have the best ones, and we attract the brightest from around the world? Americans, in general, want to go into other industries. There is nothing wrong with that. Many of the opthalmology residents here are foreigners, and they're great at what they do. I don't go in for economic nationalism at all.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    They do more than simply not fund it, Gingrich made it illegal to use embryonic stem cells in places where federal funding is happening. That's a little more than just not funding it.

Think about all the ridiculous things the government funds, this could save mine or your life someday, might as support it getting funding anyway possible. Is it really not worth .00001% of your income?
    Yes, no private company should receive government funds for R and D. Period.

MBTI
    INTP

Yes, no private company should receive government funds for R and D. Period.
    Hope you have the same opinion while on your death bed with an illness embryonic stem cell research could have cured, if only there was more funding.

Look at the cost/benefit ratio: With the funding a tiny spec of tax dollars will go to it (the cost) but this could help save your life someday (the benefit). Seems like common sense, unless you have a moral or religious issue with embryonic stem cells.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Hope you have the same opinion while on your death bed with an illness embryonic stem cell research could have cured, if only there was more funding.
    If the government got out of the way, there would be plenty of funding. Do you know how much money gets spent trying to lobby for the laws to change and follow government regulations to a T, as opposed to going to the research necessary to push things forward? I will die happy with my principles, thank you very much.

Look at the cost/benefit ratio: With the funding a tiny spec of tax dollars will go to it (the cost) but this could help save your life someday (the benefit). Seems like common sense, unless you have a moral or religious issue with embryonic stem cells.
    First of all, you have no idea what the money involved will do, or whether or not the government would be positive, negative, or indifferent to developing the biotech. Secondly, it's never "a tiny spec (sic) of tax dollars." And finally, I do not have a moral or religious issue with embryonic stem cell use in any way. I DO have an issue with the government using my tax money to fund private sector research. Your "common sense" may be common, but it's not very sensical on this point.

MBTI
    INTP

If the government got out of the way, there would be plenty of funding. Do you know how much money gets spent trying to lobby for the laws to change and follow government regulations to a T, as opposed to going to the research necessary to push things forward? I will die happy with my principles, thank you very much.

First of all, you have no idea what the money involved will do, or whether or not the government would be positive, negative, or indifferent to developing the biotech. Secondly, it's never "a tiny spec (sic) of tax dollars." And finally, I do not have a moral or religious issue with embryonic stem cell use in any way. I DO have an issue with the government using my tax money to fund private sector research. Your "common sense" may be common, but it's not very sensical on this point.
    The government funds lots of medical endeavors, the money usually goes to research like it's suppose to for the most part...I don't know how you get the idea that funding the stem cell research more could be negative or indifferent to stem cell research...show me some scenarios of that.

And it would be a tiny spec compared to the budget. It would probably cost what it does to stay in Iraq for a couple weeks, can't picture it costing much more, but if it did I wouldn't care.

And the funding could co to universities or public research labs...why do you assume it could only go to private companies?? I believe most stem cell research right now is being done on universities.

Ideas like yours hold back medical and scientific progress.

MBTI
    ESFJ

The government funds lots of medical endeavors, the money usually goes to research like it's suppose to for the most part...I don't know how you get the idea that funding the stem cell research more could be negative or indifferent to stem cell research...show me some scenarios of that.
    Because money can be wasted? And it's really easy to waste money when the government is involved? Generally, corporations try to MAKE money, and they won't waste it, if possible. If you have "free money," there is less incentive there. The government shouldn't be in the business of lining scientists' and corporate managers' pockets.

And it would be a tiny spec compared to the budget. It would probably cost what it does to stay in Iraq for a couple weeks, can't picture it costing much more, but if it did I wouldn't care.
    This is not a valid argument. The federal budget is around $3 trillion. If I had my way, it would be less than 20% of that. I never would have gone into Iraq in the first place. You're basically saying, "Everyone else has a place at the trough; why not stem cell research, too?"

And the funding could co to universities or public research labs...why do you assume it could only go to private companies?? I believe most stem cell research right now is being done on universities.

Ideas like yours hold back medical and scientific progress.
    Take a wild guess about how I feel about publicly-funded research laboratories that are doing work in what should be a private sector field.