User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Ayrab View Post
    Maybe issues like how the bleep your going to stop or slow down the fall of our currency. Or how about issues like why 1/3 of American adults don't have health care and it is being run like a business for profit.
    Last I checked, the health care industry was an industry. You know, provide a service for money? That can work, you know.

Maybe a debate on how the money for war could be put into more education programs so maybe we can move up a few spots on the education ladder (Compared to the world, our children are retarded).
    And yet, our adults are possibly the most educated in the world, because our colleges are by far the best (and many of the best are private, or are state institutions mostly funded through tuition). We already spend a about $8,700 per student annually, and that figure is amongst the highest in the world. Finland is widely considered to have the best primary schooling in the world, and they spend about half as much per student than we do, at PPP. It's not just a matter of spending money. How about ending the war AND cutting taxes for everyone?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Enneagram
    1w2

Didn't our dearly departed Kiddo do a Superfriends thread about these topics?

I agree with the OP. A good way to get people off the distractors is to start talking about the issues that these do a smoke and mirrors for. Like even on this forum. Every little bit helps.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Didn't our dearly departed Kiddo do a Superfriends thread about these topics?

I agree with the OP. A good way to get people off the distractors is to start talking about the issues that these do a smoke and mirrors for. Like even on this forum. Every little bit helps.
    Appeals to pathos/authority/popularity will always be effective on many people in marketing, even (especially?) in politics.

MBTI
    INTj

Is it really just a red herring? Laws can be repealed. New laws can be passed. The supreme court can be stacked with ultra-conservatives.

Just look at how stem cell research has been stifled over the years.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Just look at how stem cell research has been stifled over the years.
    I get really annoyed when people use bullshit arguments like this. The US government has not banned stem cell research. They don't fund it. I'm all for stem cell research, but I don't have a problem with this policy since it would force some people to go against their religious beliefs by contributing to this research (through taxes).

Federal Policy [Stem Cell Information]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I get really annoyed when people use bullshit arguments like this. The US government has not banned stem cell research. They don't fund it. I'm all for stem cell research, but I don't have a problem with this policy since it would force some people to go against their religious beliefs by contributing to this research (through taxes).

Federal Policy [Stem Cell Information]
    This doesn't hold water. Why don't Quakers get the option of not having their taxes go towards funding shitty wars?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    This doesn't hold water. Why don't Quakers get the option of not having their taxes go towards funding shitty wars?
    Why don't they? I'd have no problem with them avoiding that situation. It's not like they're a newly formed religious group. Then again, they did voluntarily join the US knowing that the Constitution explicitly granted the federal government the power to wage war.

If the US government was given the explicit power to use taxes to fund stem cell research, anyone moving into the US after the fact would have no grounds for argument. Before the fact, hell yeah they do.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It does hold water if you A) wouldn't have the shitty wars to begin with; and B) would allow people to demarcate the (very minuscule) amount of taxes they do pay to things besides defense. Even if it goes into one big pile, you should acknowledge their opposition. I don't believe in military conscription at all, either. If we need to fight, I will grab my gun(s) and go.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I misread Lateralus's post--he was referring to his own line of reasoning, not the government's. Many apologies.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Ayrab View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks things like these have been pushed to the forefront of our attention as a distraction from some of the more pressing issues with our country (USA).
    Because by the end of the election, both candidates have moved towards the center on all the other issues and basically have the same stance, but those issues that you mentioned tend to be the only ones that the candidates have a different stances on to help voters decide.