First 123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    No one escapes the monopolist! I fear things will only get worse before the revolution.
    The USPS is gonna make a comeback!
    (I feel it in my bones.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    I have Century Link, and it's probably the worst service I've ever had. I pay for 20 megs down, which is the worst I've ever had, but it's the highest they offer. The worst part is, I've never clocked in at 20 megs when I do speed tests. The highest I've ever gotten is 10. My only options are also only Century Link and Xfinity. I think I have a choice of Comcast, but that is never really choice in my book.
    I actually have 50/25 with Verizon Fios, but (here's something stupid) it wasn't running anywhere close to that speed when I ran the WiFi, and I realized the wireless router that I was renting from them does not broadcast at speeds that high. But they never said a word. Why on earth are they renting me a device that can't even come close to achieving the download speeds I'm paying for? Hmmmm......

(As it was, I had a router that was better, already; so I hard-wired their router into mine, then used THAT one to broadcast WiFi, and it's definitely faster. But I also had to hard-wire most of my devices to get the speeds I paid for.)

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I actually have 50/25 with Verizon Fios, but (here's something stupid) it wasn't running anywhere close to that speed when I ran the WiFi, and I realized the wireless router that I was renting from them does not broadcast at speeds that high. But they never said a word. Why on earth are they renting me a device that can't even come close to achieving the download speeds I'm paying for? Hmmmm......

(As it was, I had a router that was better, already; so I hard-wired their router into mine, then used THAT one to broadcast WiFi, and it's definitely faster. But I also had to hard-wire most of my devices to get the speeds I paid for.)
    That is something to think about because I'm also renting a router. It's very possible that they gave us one that doesn't reach high speeds. They've replaced it twice, because my boyfriend has been complaining to them.

The worst part for me, is that two of us can't be doing something that takes up a lot of bandwidth (is this the right word?) at one time, or it's just slow. If my son is playing minecraft, or whatever he's playing, I can't play Mario Kart 8 online. If my boyfriend is playing League of Legends, I can't watch Netflix. It's just the worst!
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

That is something to think about because I'm also renting a router. It's very possible that they gave us one that doesn't reach high speeds. They've replaced it twice, because my boyfriend has been complaining to them.
    Yeah. I found this out by googling things online and reading about the router and other user experience.

I also did the speed tests at different times of evening. As long as you're hardwired, you should be getting your max speed, but if you're using a WiFi router from them, it's worth checking to see if there is a difference between hardwired / Ethernet cable speed versus your WiFi speed.

Also during peak hours, my speed obviously dropped a bit.

The worst part for me, is that two of us can't be doing something that takes up a lot of bandwidth (is this the right word?) at one time, or it's just slow. If my son is playing minecraft, or whatever he's playing, I can't play Mario Kart 8 online. If my boyfriend is playing League of Legends, I can't watch Netflix. It's just the worst!
    Ugggh. That sucks (!) You'd think the online games would be optimized too in order to just reduce the amount of data flow needed; typically you install the actual software on the local computer and run it there, so all the system needs to do is provide a real-time data stream of the values that have changed

NetFlix in HD actually does take a chunk of Internet resources -- I read that 1/3 of US internet traffic in the evening is Netflix. So now we're in this period where Netflix and the major service providers are getting into private and public pissing matches over who is paying for what and the bottlenecks accruing, so the customers are the one losing out.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

MBTI
    yupp

I always opt to buy my own, ends up being less money in the ended being for both the router and modem 44.68 just to straight up buy. and my router i've had the best luck out of all routers i've ever had. it's a TP-LINK TL-WR841N Wireless N300 Home Router, 300Mpbs, IP QoS, WPS Button. I've had other ones that are more expensive but this one has performed the best and for the modem i have
    Linksys DPC3008 Advanced DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I think I might still have a wireless router somewhere. Everything is still all mixed up from my recent move. I'm gonna find it, and test it out.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook

MBTI
    yupp

I think I might still have a wireless router somewhere. Everything is still all mixed up from my recent move. I'm gonna find it, and test it out.
    is what you rent a modem/router mix? because if it is and you do have the router, you're gonna need to get a modem as well.a lot of isps rent you one box that does both, but it's actually less to buy them seperate.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Yeah, it's the mix, but I know I have a modem somewhere too.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook

MBTI
    yupp

Yeah, it's the mix, but I know I have a modem somewhere too.
    cool make sure it's the right kind of modem.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all