First 1234 Last

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345
    As it turns out, Walter Sickert was a "brilliant hoaxster."
    Sickert managed to sucker Cornwell; he likely did write many of the Ripper letters but they were all hoaxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    Modern science is taking all the fun out of everyone's sails.
    This is great. I love and hate mysteries at the same time. We still have the Amelia Earhart mystery; I hope that's solved with similar certainty in my lifetime.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

I like some of my mysteries to remain unsolved, or at least not be solved immediately. Most of the fun is in the wondering, the speculation, the chase after endless possibilities.

Part of me hopes the JFK assassination is never solved.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

At heart, I’ll always be a bleeding heart liberal.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

In Patricia Cornhole's "Portrait of a Killer," - Cornhole writes, "It doesn't matter if he [Sickert] is dead. Every now and then this small voice asks me, what if you're wrong? I would never forgive myself for saying such a thing about somebody, and then finding out I'm wrong."
    @Jennifer You're correct, of course. Based on this quote, Cornhole will do anything to prove her investigation, which included the $3 million she cavalierly tossed away and the Sickert masterpiece she destroyed, was justified, simply so she doesn't have to forgive herself for a false accusation against a dead artist.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Patricia Cornhole certainly was audacious in ending her crime-solving book title with the words, "Case Closed." It requires a great deal of ego, such that no evidence to the contrary will dispel her conclusion that Sickert was Jack the Ripper. Some of her fan base are similarly closed-minded.

From Facebook: "[I] personally think Patricia is right and recent findings' [sic] are not going to alter my opinion."

Of course they aren't. Si-dominance is a powerful motivator to "truth," even if its "truth" is merely subjective and faith-bound.

Quoted from "Portrait of a Killer," It was not my habit to admit to my agent or my publisher, Phyllis Grann, that I was ever frightened or uneasy about what I was doing [namely, her Ripper investigation/obsession]. The two women were the big shots in my professional existence and had faith in me. If I said I had been investigating Jack the Ripper and knew who he was, they didn't doubt me for a moment.

Of course they "believed" in her - to her face. But in any case, it wouldn't matter if she believed the killer was Sickert or someone else related to the case, such as the mysterious soldier who was questioned by the police, having been seen in the area of one of the murders at 2 a.m. "We believe in you, Ms. Cornhole. We will always have faith in you" - at least, until the day you stop producing your popular Scarpetta novels and go broke, in which case, it will be to them as if you never even existed.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Sickert managed to sucker Cornwell; he likely did write many of the Ripper letters but they were all hoaxes.

This is great. I love and hate mysteries at the same time. We still have the Amelia Earhart mystery; I hope that's solved with similar certainty in my lifetime.
    According to some, anyway, it was solved in 1939. Others have found the same evidence, that Earhart survived for a number of months before finally passing away and being eating by crabs and seagulls. It's not great evidence, but it is more compelling than the very indirect evidence that Sickert was the Ripper.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    In Patricia Cornhole's "Portrait of a Killer," - Cornhole writes, "It doesn't matter if he [Sickert] is dead. Every now and then this small voice asks me, what if you're wrong? I would never forgive myself for saying such a thing about somebody, and then finding out I'm wrong."
    Jennifer You're correct, of course. Based on this quote, Cornhole will do anything to prove her investigation, including the $3 million she cavalierly tossed away and the Sickert masterpiece she destroyed, was justified, simply so she doesn't have to forgive herself for a false accusation against a dead artist.
    To prove the point, I brought it up at my gaming session today and immediately the two INTPs and the ISTP leaped in and said it only proves that they either had had sex at some point or he found her corpse and (being a chronic masturbator) "did his thing."

I laughed, because they immediately could find the loophole.

So of course we're going to hear a lot more of this.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    To prove the point, I brought it up at my gaming session today and immediately the two INTPs and the ISTP leaped in and said it only proves that they either had had sex at some point or he found her corpse and being a chronic masturbator "did his thing."

Fortunately, there's more to the case than dna evidence. But given what the police at the time already knew, this further evidence would have been the evidence that blew the case wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    To prove the point, I brought it up at my gaming session today and immediately the two INTPs and the ISTP leaped in and said it only proves that they either had had sex at some point or he found her corpse and (being a chronic masturbator) "did his thing."

lol. Those were among my first thoughts when I read about this news.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    lol. Those were among my first thoughts when I read about this news.
    Of course. With a $3 million personal investigation and a destroyed masterpiece to her credit, Ms. Cornhole is not about to ruin her massive reputation with a fan-base, publisher, and agent who believe in her no matter what. Not to mention her personal emotional loss at admitting that she accused someone of murders he didn't commit.

You're cracking me up with the cornhole. I can't read this thread with a straight face.