User Tag List

First 234

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That's where you're wrong. Forced participation in state-organized activity is something fascist countries do, not something that should happen in liberal democracies.
    When D.H. Laurence visited Australia so long ago, he said he wasn't worried about fascism in Australia for we are lazy authoritarians and we are too lazy to make fascism work.

And of course he was right.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    When D.H. Laurence visited Australia so long ago, he said he wasn't worried about fascism in Australia for we are lazy authoritarians and we are too lazy to make fascism work.

No human society is iron-clad safe from the possiblity of totalitrian governments, no matter what economic system they chose to label themselves as.

"Fascism' is only the organized political expression of the structure of the average man's character, a structure that is confined neither to certain races or nations nor to certain parties, but is general and international. . . 'Fascism' is the basic emotional attitude of the suppressed man of our authoritarian machine civilization and its mechanistic-mystical conception of life."

Wilhelm Reich,
    The Mass Psychology of Fascism

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

I don't think that Australia would ever become fascist. I just think it's disappointing that they have a facet of their system that is normally found in fascist countries.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Huh? Compulsory voting is being linked to fascism? How odd

The Australian government does not need to spend time, money or effort on creating a sensationalist road show to tour the country trying to convince people to vote, they can concentrate on policy instead, you'll always get people swayed by these antics and I hear a lot of talk from Americans suggesting voters should pass a test about candidates policies before they are eligible to vote, I suggest that on the surface the Australian system is more about policy, less about image as they don't need to entice people to vote.

For me the benefits are worth it.