User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We have chosen to have this particular law for a very long time. Plenty of time to see if it produced any unintended negative consequences. And it doesn't.

Quite the opposite - we have a stable and vibrant democracy.
    My post wasn't directed at you. Can you point to where I said that this law was wrong for Australia?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Okay, I'll take your word for it that we're compelled only to turn up at the voting station. No doubt we would be compelled to vote as well if that didn't require someone to follow us into the ballot-booth to make sure we filled out the form and dropped it in the box.
    You will always have the right to place a donkey vote.

And plenty of my friends find it an inconvenience to vote. A number were bright enough or lazy enough to not register, and they certainly have no plans to register in the future.
    I felt that way when I was younger, now I actually care about having my say in the government that runs my country, maybe your opinion will change when it has an impact on you.

Quite often, I suspect, people have no clue of the positions of any of the candidates involved, since they have no interest in politics. Yet they are still forced to cast their ignorant vote. How does that make sense?
    That part sux but you cannot force people to be informed. At the end of the day the person elected is truly chosen by the population no matter how intelligent or informed.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    JJJ's previous posts negate this assertion, don't they? "The WHOLE population?
    No rule will ever suit everyone, I understand the arguments here against compulsory voting but the thing is you are not forced to place a vote, simply to register and place a form in a ballot, this takes 5 minutes. I fail to see how the negatives out way the benefits when it encourages people to take an interest in something that effects the entire population who otherwise would not.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    You will always have the right to place a donkey vote.

I felt that way when I was younger, now I actually care about having my say in the government that runs my country, maybe your opinion will change when it has an impact on you.

That part sux but you cannot force people to be informed. At the end of the day the person elected is truly chosen by the population no matter how intelligent or informed.

No rule will ever suit everyone, I understand the arguments here against compulsory voting but the thing is you are not forced to place a vote, simply to register and place a form in a ballot, this takes 5 minutes. I fail to see how the negatives out way the benefits when it encourages people to take an interest in something that effects the entire population who otherwise would not.
    Quite right, Trinity.

Actually, Australia is technically a Commonwealth, but you knew it. Both of our countries have democratic elections.
    This is interesting. Yes, Australia is a Commonwealth. And 'Commonwealth' is the Old English name for a Republic. So I concede the argument to you.

But what is most interesting is that you knew I knew.

MBTI
    ESFJ

This is interesting. Yes, Australia is a Commonwealth. And 'Commonwealth' is the Old English name for a Republic. So I concede the argument to you.

But what is most interesting is that you knew I knew.
    You don't seem like an ignorant person, so I assumed that you knew that. However, I also assumed you put that aside to make your point. I understand that you have a slightly different system of government over there, but I don't think that the "compulsory" voting is necessary in either of our systems. Not participating in elections (and even not giving a crap about them) is or should be a right for everyone.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

You don't seem like an ignorant person, so I assumed that you knew that. However, I also assumed you put that aside to make your point. I understand that you have a slightly different system of government over there, but I don't think that the "compulsory" voting is necessary in either of our systems. Not participating in elections (and even not giving a crap about them) is or should be a right for everyone.
    You made two correct assumptions - one after the other.

This is like backing two winners in consecutive horse races. The odds are enormous.

So I can only assume you know more than me and are more intelligent.

Perhaps you might have a tip for the next race.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    If only we lived in a perfect world... The law is far better at enforcing the practical, rather than the ideal.
    So where does one draw the line between these two things?

It's still forcing people to participate in an activity with which they may not agree. I find that ethically wrong, even if that is the only negative consequence.
    That's barely even a consequence. It doesn't seem to be doing much harm.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

You made two correct assumptions - one after the other.

This is like backing two winners in consecutive horse races. The odds are enormous.

So I can only assume you know more than me and are more intelligent.

Perhaps you might have a tip for the next race.
    Even a blind squirrel can find a nut sometimes. I don't much about gambling, but I do love thoroughbred horses. If you want a moneymaking tip, 2009-10 should be big bull market years for the American stock market.

MBTI
    XNTX

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    If only we lived in a perfect world... The law is far better at enforcing the practical, rather than the ideal. Idealistic stances like yours lead to laws that produce unintended negative consequences.
    Apathy like yours leads to the current debacle in Europe where there are many parallels to the Soviet "error".

Seriously, every day respective governments around the world continually rob citizens of rights as they know full well that citizens are so apathetic that while everyone will bleat like little lambs, they are still there to be slaughtered. Governments now (Especially here in Britain) are simply lying and even producing documentaries (with tax payer money) which promote their policies (like immigration which Ofcom is looking into at the moment).

If you want fascism then don't vote and by the time you get around to it, it will be too late.

Take a look at the EU.

YouTube - The European Union - the New Soviet Union?

Anyway, don't vote, it just means people that care get twice the value... and that includes those with vested interests.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    That's barely even a consequence. It doesn't seem to be doing much harm.
    That's where you're wrong. Forced participation in state-organized activity is something fascist countries do, not something that should happen in liberal democracies.