User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Conditions for Fundamentalism to Thrive

What economic, political, cognitive, social, and psychological conditions (and any other categories) help fundamentalism thrive? What are the ingredients that breed fundamentalist culture? I'd like to gather some data on different countries and need some clues. I'm curious is we can develop a formula for stopping fundamentalism, which I mostly see as a pretext for imperialism, before it develops into a movement. I don't know enough about history and geography and need some help.

Some ideas off the cuff...

1. Wide gaps in education, and generally speaking, no humanities education; high levels of religious education
    2. Extreme gender inequality
    3. Economic poverty (+polarization? +corruption? +exploitation of working class?)
    4. Lack of openness to ideas/freethinking, lack of innovation (philosophical, material)
    5. Lack of technology?
    6. Fundamentalist neighbors
    7. Political instability
    8. Low levels of empathy between parents (esp. fathers) and children
    9. Low levels of optimism and hope for a better future, esp. economically
    10. Hot climate?
    11. Social isolation, lack of cultural integration with first world

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

1. Inculcation in school and at home. This is probably the biggest problem and any solution would need to address them. One solution would be to teach critical thinking and encourage skepticism. The biggest myth taught to kids today is that adults know better and that we should respect our elders. We should instead teach kids to respect logical thinking.

2. Religious freedom. You won't see fundamentalism thrive in countries where minority rights are protected.

3. Gun rights. Fundamentalism of the sort we see in the Middle East won't thrive if a majority of the population is armed and able to defend themselves against violent fundies.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    What economic, political, cognitive, social, and psychological conditions (and any other categories) help fundamentalism thrive? What are the ingredients that breed fundamentalist culture? I'd like to gather some data on different countries and need some clues. I'm curious is we can develop a formula for stopping fundamentalism, which I mostly see as a pretext for imperialism, before it develops into a movement. I don't know enough about history and geography and need some help.

1. Wide gaps in education, and generally speaking, no humanities education; high levels of religious education
    3. Economic poverty (+polarization? +corruption? +exploitation of working class?)
    4. Lack of openness to ideas/freethinking, lack of innovation (philosophical, material)
    5. Lack of technology?
    7. Political instability
    10. Hot climate?
    This is off the cuff as well and it's what struck me when I read your list. Item #2 struck me as off/odd, extreme gender inequality. I do not think this is a requirement, all one has to do is look at the U.S. Southeast to start. KKK anyone? or how about their counterpart the Black Panthers? Christian fundamentalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    1. Inculcation in school and at home. This is probably the biggest problem and any solution would need to address them. One solution would be to teach critical thinking and encourage skepticism. The biggest myth taught to kids today is that adults know better and that we should respect our elders. We should instead teach kids to respect logical thinking.

2. Religious freedom. You won't see fundamentalism thrive in countries where minority rights are protected.

3. Gun rights. Fundamentalism of the sort we see in the Middle East won't thrive if a majority of the population is armed and able to defend themselves against violent fundies.
    I totally agree with all 3 of these. As to how to make #3 a reality? The right to bear arms is a Human Right not just a U.S. right and we should work towards establishing a U.N. sanctioned universal right to bear arms. AN INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

5. Lack of technology?
    7. Political instability
    10. Hot climate?
    Actually, I would argue a balanced, non-threatening religious education could lower the chance of fundamentalism in areas with high fundamentalism.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

The mainstream becoming incompetent, vain and self-serving.

Like now.

Fundamentalism is a dirty word but it is a logical response to "moderate" people/groups fucking up, a sign that more extreme measures are needed to rectify a problem. We usually don't need this except in times of social and/or economic unrest, when strong, radical action is needed to remove the agents of stress. Whereas, in times of plenty and prosperity this is obviously not necessary.

The proposals of most people who've posted in this thread would greatly weaken a peoples' ability to survive.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

5. Lack of technology?
    7. Political instability
    10. Hot climate?
    Many of these seem to be symptoms or even results of fundamentalism rather than causes of it. The fundamentalists I know seem to live lives with blinders on, corresponding to 4, 5, and 11. It is likely they were raised in such an environment as well, but how far back does this go? Was the "original" society closed to new ideas, technology avoidant (even when technology was the printing press), and socially isolated and the non-fundamentalist elements overcame this? Or was it originally more open and connected, with some groups failing to change with the times and becoming closed and isolated? Either way, what drove certain groups or societies one way vs. another?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

The very word Fundamentalism was coined by Protestants in the USA in the first part of the 20th century. And today about 10% of the population of the USA is Fundamentalist.

Of course today the word Fundamentalism is applied to other religions as well, but it originated only recently in Protestant USA.

And Protestant Fundamentalism informs American gun culture, as well as American Eugenics.

And Protestant Fundamentalism was created in opposition to modernity, in opposition to modern interpretations of the Bible, in opposition to Natural Selection.

And today the word Fundamentalism is applied to other religions that are also opposed to modernity, like fundamentalist Islam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The very word Fundamentalism was coined by Protestants in the USA in the first part of the 20th century. And today about 10% of the population of the USA is Fundamentalist.

Of course today the word Fundamentalism is applied to other religions as well, but it originated only recently in Protestant USA.

And Protestant Fundamentalism informs American gun culture, as well as American Eugenics.

And Protestant Fundamentalism was created in opposition to modernity, in opposition to modern interpretations of the Bible, in opposition to Natural Selection.

And today the word Fundamentalism is applied to other religions that are also opposed to modernity, like fundamentalist Islam.
    Your historical theories are fascinating.
    I gather from your statement that fundamentalism created eugenics because it was opposed to natural selection?
    Wow. Just wow.

The term eugenics itself was coined by Darwin's half cousin for crying out loud.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post

And what does Catholic fundamentalism inform?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...