User Tag List

First 2345 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

Ah, yes. That old stand by. It's basically a continuum of order, from high order to low order. My only objection is to saying that sociology is applied psychology. I don't think that's true. You can fully understand biology without psychology, you can fully understand chemistry without biology, etc... But I don't think you can fully understand psychology without sociology. It's still true that you can't understand sociology without psychology. Upon close inspection, it's just very strange that the two are separate fields.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Ah, yes. That old stand by. It's basically a continuum of order, from high order to low order. My only objection is to saying that sociology is applied psychology. I don't think that's true. You can fully understand biology without psychology, you can fully understand chemistry without biology, etc... But I don't think you can fully understand psychology without sociology. It's still true that you can't understand sociology without psychology. Upon close inspection, it's just very strange that the two are separate fields.
    I have a degree in soc with a minor in psych and took quite a few classes in social psych (undergrad and grad level)... throw in a degree in poli sci and another minor in econ and I can say that I'm pretty sure that all I did was just look at the same thing from a few different perspectives, sociology being the most all encompassing
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

You have one post in this thread and it doesn't have a single question mark in it. Perhaps that's why no one answered you.
    No, it's because you can't find an answer to the reality that radical problems needs radical solutions. The hip, chill, peace-loving types make good rulers in times of prosperity but mess everything up when shit hits the fan. We see it now - Barack Obama, David Cameron et cetera are not good at handling threats. They are maintainers, not movers and shakers.

Unlike you, I think there is room on the planet for both types of people. What you despise will always be necessary to avert danger and complete collapse.

The perspective i bring to these discussions is unique and valuable. Embrace diversity.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    No, it's because you can't find an answer to the reality that radical problems needs radical solutions. The hip, chill, peace-loving types make good rulers in times of prosperity but mess everything up when shit hits the fan. We see it now - Barack Obama, David Cameron et cetera are not good at handling threats. They are maintainers, not movers and shakers.

Unlike you, I think there is room on the planet for both types of people. What you despise will always be necessary to avert danger and complete collapse.
    no, in my case it wasn't because of your dazzling logic, it's because your post didn't catch my interest
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Interesting how much this thread got derailed.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

No, it's because you can't find an answer to the reality that radical problems needs radical solutions.
    It was because you didn't ask a question, and what you said wasn't interesting. That's it. But since you're desperate need for attention is making you press the point, let me respond.

Even when a radical solution is needed, a radical solution is not necessarily fundamentalist, going by the definitions I used (maybe you mean something different).

QUOTE=Kullervo;2354762]
    The hip, chill, peace-loving types make good rulers in times of prosperity but mess everything up when shit hits the fan. We see it now - Barack Obama, David Cameron et cetera are not good at handling threats. They are maintainers, not movers and shakers.[/quote]

Again, you are talking all over the place. Do you think someone has to be a fundamentalist to wage a war? Do you think someone who goes to war is automatically fundamentalist? Some of the most belligerent people I can think of were not particularly fundamentalist. And since you refer to threats (and who knows what exactly you mean by) you're talking about people committing to war for the sake of defense. One certainly wouldn't need to be a fundamentalist to do that.

QUOTE=Kullervo;2354762]
    Unlike you, I think there is room on the planet for both types of people.[/quote]

Really? I would not be surprised if there is never a situation in which you think there is more room for different kinds of people than me.

What you despise will always be necessary to avert danger and complete collapse.
    Fundamentalism is not necessar to avert danger. You simply do not need the things that define fundamentalism (according to the definition I used) to be able to resist a threat. You need to make that case. The burden of proof is on you. Richelieu, Bismarck, Nasser, these people were not peaceniks, and they were not fundamentalists, but they were good at securing their nations' interests.

The perspective i bring to these discussions is unique and valuable. Embrace diversity.
    Hah. Seriously. Do you feel better now for letting that out? It's not a travesty if someone doesn't respond to your posts, and you do not have a pivileged position in terms of the priority your posts warrant or the value of your opinion.

Also, you don't embrace diversity at all, so do not demand other people to do so.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    Interesting how much this thread got derailed.
    I think most of me and whatever's discussion was actually relevant to the thread. Probably not the part about the social studies, though.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

I think most of me and whatever's discussion was actually relevant to the thread. Probably not the part about the social studies, though.
    Do you know why @Mole was banned?
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    Do you know why @Mole was banned?
    Why are you asking me? Why not check the ban thread?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

'twas the natural progression of the discussion

and it was totally relevant... if you want to discuss the conditions for something you need a proper definition for what that thing IS. goodness... have people been living under rocks?