User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    And what does Catholic fundamentalism inform?
    Huh? That doesn't really make sense although I presume what you mean is Catholics who are actually...y'know... Catholic.

Maybe this thread should have started with a definition of fundamentalism.

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    This is off the cuff as well and it's what struck me when I read your list. Item #2 struck me as off/odd, extreme gender inequality. I do not think this is a requirement, all one has to do is look at the U.S. Southeast to start. KKK anyone? or how about their counterpart the Black Panthers? Christian fundamentalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    christian fundies tend to be quite patriarchal and sexist. ooh boy, have i encountered some online. check out the new calvinists and the quiverfull movement. they are not militant but the sexism is rampant. i think the OP is right on target with extreme gender inequality. see: taliban.

slightly tangential, but i have heard that we know when poverty is being alleviated in a society when women and children are well-cared for and given full freedom and rights.

in regards to the OP's number 4 i'd add all-or-nothing thinking or the psychological concept of splitting.

my guess is the best way to combat fundamentalism is poverty reduction where we are welcome and to stop meddling in muslim countries. they seem to get rather pissed when we interfere and bring our liberal democratic ideals to them which they see as corrupt. that and our military activity.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I would guess that he's being rather narrow in his definition of fundamentalism here and primarily focusing on islamic fundamentalism.

The same conditions are much less likely to give rise to market fundamentalism, for instance

For the type in question, situations in which the current situation is less than optimal and the past is a glorified golden age seem most likely to encourage the rise of that type of fundamentalism. The thought that, if we just did things in the old way we would go back to the age when we really mattered. Of course that can apply to nearly any reactionary movement...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Huh? That doesn't really make sense although I presume what you mean is Catholics who are actually...y'know... Catholic.

Maybe this thread should have started with a definition of fundamentalism.
    Perhaps. I mean Catholics who are "actually Catholic" just as Muslim fundamentalists are "actually Muslim". I know a good handful of Catholics whom I would put into this category, but I met them only in recent years. Even though my own family background is Catholic, none of them, our friends, or the other Catholics I ran into growing up were like this. They are Catholics with blinders on, accepting and believing everything the church teaches, and refusing even to read or consider the opinions of non-Catholics.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I would guess that he's being rather narrow in his definition of fundamentalism here and primarily focusing on islamic fundamentalism.

The same conditions are much less likely to give rise to market fundamentalism, for instance

For the type in question, situations in which the current situation is less than optimal and the past is a glorified golden age seem most likely to encourage the rise of that type of fundamentalism. The thought that, if we just did things in the old way we would go back to the age when we really mattered. Of course that can apply to nearly any reactionary movement...
    I think we can say his conditions are a little broader than Islamic, but probably descriptive of most militant fundamentalism, which for the most part market fundamentalism is not.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think we can say his conditions are a little broader than Islamic, but probably descriptive of most militant fundamentalism, which for the most part market fundamentalism is not.
    it was the pondering of hot climate that made me think that, since islam is the only major religion other than hinduism that seems to predominantly center in hot climates, and hindu extremists don't tend to pop up in the news all that often... of course there's also judaism as well...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

it was the pondering of hot climate that made me think that, since islam is the only major religion other than hinduism that seems to predominantly center in hot climates, and hindu extremists don't tend to pop up in the news all that often... of course there's also judaism as well...
    I thought hot climate was the weirdest item on the list, and perhaps he did too, considering the question mark. But, do consider sub-Saharan Africa. Some of the fundamentalism that takes place there is not Muslim (and of course is not Hindu). Regarding India, I suppose we could talk about Sikhs, too, but Sikh fundamentalism hasn't exactly been a news worthy thing since... news? Unless you count that recent summit of Sikhs that broke out into a sword fight.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I thought hot climate was the weirdest item on the list, and perhaps he did too, considering the question mark. But, do consider sub-Saharan Africa. Some of the fundamentalism that takes place there is not Muslim (and of course is not Hindu). Regarding India, I suppose we could talk about Sikhs, too, but Sikh fundamentalism hasn't exactly been a news worthy thing since... news? Unless you count that recent summit of Sikhs that broke out into a sword fight.
    Sub-saharan africa is less likely to go fundamentalist christian than the us in newsworthiness, which I've heard from my african coworkers on quite a few occasions (they think that people in the us are weird about religion and probably have a point there ). Categorizing local religions as fundamentalist movements of the sort would be odd in a way because most of the local religions aren't well known and there's usually few enough believers to even constitute any form of newsworthy fundamentalism unless they do something really freaky, in which case it'd probably just be classified as being representative of the religion itself by westerners...

and what percentage of the us population do you even think know that sikhs exist?

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Sub-saharan africa is less likely to go fundamentalist christian than the us in newsworthiness, which I've heard from my african coworkers on quite a few occasions (they think that people in the us are weird about religion and probably have a point there ). Categorizing local religions as fundamentalist movements of the sort would be odd in a way because most of the local religions aren't well known and there's usually few enough believers to even constitute any form of newsworthy fundamentalism unless they do something really freaky, in which case it'd probably just be classified as being representative of the religion itself by westerners...

and what percentage of the us population do you even think know that sikhs exist?
    But I'm not really talking about what's news worthy or what Americans know. I'm willing to believe that TWHS has some knowledge of these things and at any rate I think one should try to find an objective classification for what this means. So, Sikhs historically might count. And in Africa, it may only be a minority of places, but it really seems to that there is fundamentalist Christianity in parts of it.. But that also leads us to the question, what syncretism and cults, like the Lord's Resistance Army? That would probably also include the Taiping rebellion in China back in the 1850s (not in a particularly warm place).
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

But I'm not really talking about what's news worthy or what Americans know. I'm willing to believe that TWHS has some knowledge of these things and at any rate I think one should try to find an objective classification for what this means. So, Sikhs historically might count. And in Africa, it may only be a minority of places, but it really seems to that there is fundamentalist Christianity in parts of it.. But that also leads us to the question, what syncretism and cults, like the Lord's Resistance Army? That would probably also include the Taiping rebellion in China back in the 1850s (not in a particularly warm place).
    then you have the question of the differentiation between cults and overall religious fundamentalism... if it is a fundamentalist sect would it be more likely to be classified as a cult or a movement? or as a fundamentally tinged wing of that religion?