User Tag List

123 Last

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Default If Britain were a U.S. state, it would be the second-poorest, behind Alabama...

If Britain were a U.S. state, it would be the second-poorest, behind Alabama and before Mississippi

If you take our economic output, adjust for living costs and slot it into the US league table then the United Kingdom emerges as the second-poorest state in the union. We’re poorer than much-maligned Kansas and Alabama and well below Missouri, the scene of all the unrest in recent weeks. Only Mississippi has lower economic output per head than the UK; strip out the South East and Britain would rank bottom.
    This is a shocker. I figured countries like the UK and Germany would place near the top third of US States. The graph shows Alaska and Wyoming as the top 2 states with highest GDP per capita; this is also surprising. I know about the gold mines, the oil, and the fishing industries in Alaska but what's going on in Wyoming; I think of Wyoming as some wasteland with extreme weather, but evidently, quite a few people are making a great living there. Canada's not on the list; I'd be interested to know where they place as well.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    This is a shocker. I figured countries like the UK and Germany would place near the top third of US States. The graph shows Alaska and Wyoming as the top 2 states with highest GDP per capita; this is also surprising. I know about the gold mines, the oil, and the fishing industries in Alaska but what's going on in Wyoming; I think of Wyoming as some wasteland with extreme weather, but evidently, quite a few people are making a great living there. Canada's not on the list; I'd be interested to know where they place as well.
    Go to London and see the decay for yourself.
    Last edited by EJCC; 08-27-2014 at 09:24 PM. Reason: removed offensive language

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

... Well, damn. That sucks.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo
    Go to London and see the decay for yourself.
    I've seen enough of London from watching Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares and that one Simpsons episode.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

first world problems

In 1956 the USA cut the throat of the British Empire at Suez, Egypt.

And the USA required Britain to pay off its war debt to the USA. And it is only in the last few years that the war debt was paid off.

The USA Empire terminated the British Empire, in CIA speak, with prejudice.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Deleted an offensive derail. Carry on.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    If Britain were a U.S. state, it would be the second-poorest, behind Alabama and before Mississippi

It helps that those Western states are very small -- Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming have fewer than 2 million residents apiece -- and many of those people are wealthy older people who decided to take advantage of cheap real estate and retire out there. So it's not really that there are more rich people -- it's that the few that are there make up a higher percentage.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

In a way, this article is unnecessarily complex. Their big point is in regards to GDP per capita. In that case, one might as well just compare the two nation states as a whole.

GDP PC of the USA: $52,800

GDP PC of the UK: $37,300

The USA is ahead by $15,500 overall. Apparently the variation between states of the US is only dramatic enough for one state's GDP PC to fall below $37,300.

You'll notice my numbers are slightly different. I drew mine from the CIA, I did not see (if listed) were that article drew its numbers, but the point is still made and let us just assume the adjustment does not break rank.

I prefer doing it this way because it completely skips the act of comparing sovereign nations with individual states of the USA, a comparison that I think is highly problematic (ask yourself if Alaska would have a GDP of 59 billion as a sovereign state). And at any rate, it should come as no surprise to anyone who knows much about the economies of the world. If you want to bash the USA, sheer abundance of wealth would probably be your single worst point of attack.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Usa do have a lot of natural recources too. Not sure about all the states.

England, not so much.

Even australia have a lot of natural recources.

However the middle east have quite alot of resources too but only a few countries have pc income of significance. Qatar is on top of the world's list i as i recall and israel is also doing quite well, though not as high as some european nations. (Poor bastards have to spend so much on defence, if not it would be much higher than it is.)

I wonder whether england's pc income was higher than that of the usa - after considering inflation - during the empire era.

Funny i don't think it was.