User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    If Britain were a U.S. state, it would be the second-poorest, behind Alabama and before Mississippi

This is a shocker. I figured countries like the UK and Germany would place near the top third of US States. The graph shows Alaska and Wyoming as the top 2 states with highest GDP per capita; this is also surprising. I know about the gold mines, the oil, and the fishing industries in Alaska but what's going on in Wyoming; I think of Wyoming as some wasteland with extreme weather, but evidently, quite a few people are making a great living there. Canada's not on the list; I'd be interested to know where they place as well.
    It is not about the lolly. It is what you do with it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    Usa do have a lot of natural recources too. Not sure about all the states.

England, not so much.

Even australia have a lot of natural recources.

However the middle east have quite alot of resources too but only a few countries have pc income of significance. Qatar is on top of the world's list i as i recall and israel is also doing quite well, though not as high as some european nations. (Poor bastards have to spend so much on defence, if not it would be much higher than it is.)

I wonder whether england's pc income was higher than that of the usa - after considering inflation - during the empire era.

Funny i don't think it was.
    Natural resources aren't important for GDP per capita. Luxembourg, Singapore, and Hong Kong, as well as Qatar, do quite well without them.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Natural resources aren't important for GDP per capita. Luxembourg, Singapore, and Hong Kong, as well as Qatar, do quite well without them.
    Really? Aren't important? Have no affect on the GDP, therefore the Per Capita?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    Really? Aren't important? Have no affect on the GDP, therefore the Per Capita?
    Very small states have a habit of possessing high GDPs per capita. They are typically highly dependent on the activity of other states and often times their sovereignty is almost a legal device for certain political or commercial conveniences (for instance, being a tax haven).

However, I wouldn't say this relates much to the USA, because the USA does have over 300 million people while still managing one of the world's highest GDP PCs. It is no mean feat, to be sure.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    And we can't do much with our per capita gross domestic product if we are in prison. And although the USA has 5% of the world's population, it has 25% of the world's prisoners.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

This is non sense.

Look at factors like quality of life. To pretend that it's better to live in Alabama than in Western Europe is simply ridiculous. It is chauvinistic propaganda. But if you want to believe it, then so be it.

Even if we take GDP/inhabitant only, Paris intra muros (more than $112500/inh) or London are much richer than its only American mega-city competitor (= Manhattan). And you live longer, happier and in better health here than over the Atlantic.

But its true that our rural areas are much poorer, because the farms are very small compared to American ones. And we don't export as much raw ressources: in Europe, we do more with less.
    Last edited by Blackmail!; 08-30-2014 at 07:39 PM.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Exactly.

If I have the choice to live in Finland or in Alabama or even Alaska, the answer is a no brainer.

I've already been in Finland, I've already been in Alabama and Alaska, and I know what they look like.

The overall quality of life and social environment of Finland is amongst the best in the world, if not the best. Finnish schools are free (but have the best average results in the known world), the woods and lakes are not too polluted, and you don't have to worry about your health insurance.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I agree that quality of life is more important than money. Money doesn't necessarily bring happiness. (Welfare recipients are more miserable than non-welfare folks.) What does bring happiness is personal achievement made possible by personal liberty.

"Money never made a man happy yet, nor will it. The more a man has, the more he wants. Instead of filling a vacuum, it makes one." Benjamin Franklin
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I agree that quality of life is more important than money. Money doesn't necessarily bring happiness. (Welfare recipients are more miserable than non-welfare folks.) What does bring happiness is personal achievement made possible by personal liberty.

"Money never made a man happy yet, nor will it. The more a man has, the more he wants. Instead of filling a vacuum, it makes one." Benjamin Franklin
    Liberty and Happiness is the American Dream, while the fruits of liberal democracy are freedom and equality.

And by their fruits shall ye know them.

And the fruit of the American Dream is the greatest inequality in the developed world.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

You can't use PPP-adjusted figures for say, Norway and avoid using them for Alaska. It'd be like using the PPP measure of you average european to evaluate Norway's GDP per capita.

The "correct" statistic would have a GDP deflator for each US state. I'm positive prices in Alaska are fairly higher than the average in the whole US.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp