User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 67

  1. #1
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default How dangerous is police work in the US?

    The police would have us all believe that police work is the most dangerous job in the US. But is it really? Thankfully we have ways of actually measuring this, so we don't have to just take the word of the police.

    According to US Bureau of Labor Statistics, police officers don't make the top-10 of most dangerous jobs in the US.

    Infographic: Most dangerous jobs in America | TIME.com

    You might be thinking "Well, those professions don't have people deliberately trying to kill them". That's true. So let's take a look at how often police officers are actually murdered while on the job. We will exclude other deaths, like traffic accidents and heart attacks because almost every profession deals with those.

    In 2011, 33 police officers were killed by firearms. I can't find any data on other types of murder, like strangling and stabbing, but I assume they are very small since they aren't mentioned.

    There are 900,000 sworn officers in the US. There are a total of about 1.3 million officer including non-sworn officers, but I'll use the sworn number to make things look more favorable for the police.

    (33/900,00)*100,000=3.67. That gives a murder rate of 3.67 per 100,000.

    The murder rate for Americans, as a whole, is 4.8 per 100,000.

    My conclusion is that police work isn't nearly as dangerous as officers make it out to be. We're fed the line that police work is incredibly dangerous in an effort to gain public sympathy, which leads to bigger pensions at the expense of taxpayers. I wouldn't expect anything less from public sector unions and employees.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You might be thinking "Well, those professions don't have people deliberately trying to kill them". That's true. So let's take a look at how often police officers are actually murdered while on the job. We will exclude other deaths, like traffic accidents and heart attacks because almost every profession deals with those.
    Really? You're going to exclude traffic accidents when a large portion of the job involves dealing with traffic? I'm not even surprised. You're so utterly biased it's ridiculous.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    In 2011, 33 police officers were killed by firearms. I can't find any data on other types of murder, like strangling and stabbing, but I assume they are very small since they aren't mentioned.

    There are 900,000 sworn officers in the US. There are a total of about 1.3 million officer including non-sworn officers, but I'll use the sworn number to make things look more favorable for the police.

    (33/900,00)*100,000=3.67. That gives a murder rate of 3.67 per 100,000.

    The murder rate for Americans, as a whole, is 4.8 per 100,000.
    And where are your statistics for workers who are murdered in other professions to compare it to, since that seems to be the criteria you're using? Or would that not support your agenda here? The reason why more officers aren't murdered is because of extensive training and service weapons. That doesn't make the job any less dangerous. Your argument is infantile.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Really? You're going to exclude traffic accidents when a large portion of the job is dealing with traffic? I'm not even surprised. You're so utterly biased it's ridiculous.
    The police don't deal with traffic danger any more than truck drivers, couriers, taxi drivers, and similar professions that deal with traffic every day. Truck drivers, in particular, have a significantly higher death rate on the road than police officers. They also get paid far less than police officers, with their cushy tax payer funded pensions. There is nothing about dealing with traffic that makes the Plight of the Oppressed American Police Officer special. I know you'll find that incredibly offensive and "infantile", but that is reality.

    And where are your statistics for workers who are murdered in other professions to compare it to, since that seems to be the criteria you're using? Or would that not support your agenda here? The reason why more officers aren't murdered is because of extensive training and service weapons. That doesn't make the job any less dangerous. Your argument is infantile.
    They are part of the 4.8 per 100,000. Most Americans work, so the average death rate of working Americans is ~4.8 per 100,000. That should have been abundantly obvious, but apparently it wasn't.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The police don't deal with traffic danger any more than truck drivers, couriers, taxi drivers, and similar professions that deal with traffic every day. Truck drivers, in particular, have a significantly higher death on the road than police. They also get paid far less than police officers, with their cushy tax payer funded pensions. There is nothing about dealing with traffic that makes the Plight of the Oppressed American Police Officer special. I know you'll find that incredibly offensive and "infantile", but that is reality. Police officers are not victims. Deal with it.
    You wouldn't exclude traffic related accidents involving truck drivers though. That's my point. You are claiming police officers don't have a dangerous job, then casually exclude a large portion of the job to make your argument sound more reasonable.

    They are part of the 4.8 per 100,000. Most Americans work, so the average death rate of working Americans is ~4.8 per 100,000. That should have been abundantly obvious, but it apparently wasn't.
    I can't tell if you're serious or just trolling. How many of those murders do you think were committed at the workplace? That was your argument, right? That policing isn't a dangerous job? And to support this claim, you disregard the unemployment rate, compare the percentage of officers who are killed on the job to the number of Americans (including police officers) who are murdered in general. And didn't even state exactly what this comparison was supposed to indicate or draw any meaningful conclusion. Police officers are also more trained and better equipped than the average citizen in order to deal with the dangers posed by the job.

    Needless to say, I'm losing brain cells talking to you so consider this the end of our conversation.

  5. #5
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Needless to say, I'm losing brain cells talking to you so consider this the end of our conversation.
    It may be an exercise in futility, but at least it's exercise.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    It may be an exercise in futility, but at least it's exercise.
    It is, indeed, futile. I digress.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    You wouldn't exclude traffic related accidents involving truck drivers though. That's my point. You are claiming police officers don't have a dangerous job, then casually exclude a large portion of the job to make your argument sound more reasonable.
    The number of police officers who died in traffic accidents in 2011 was 46. That number was 647 for truck drivers in 2009. I couldn't find any numbers for 2011. There are around 1 million police officers compared to around 3.5 million truckers. That makes any trucker about 4 times more likely to die in a traffic accident than a police officer. So yeah, being a police officer is not even close to the most dangerous job when it comes to actual driving.

    I can't tell if you're serious or just trolling. How many of those murders do you think were committed at the workplace? That was your argument, right? That policing isn't a dangerous job? And to support this claim, you disregard the unemployment rate, compare the percentage of officers who are killed on the job to the number of Americans (including police officers) who are murdered in general. And didn't even state exactly what this comparison was supposed to indicate or draw any meaningful conclusion. Police officers are also more trained and better equipped than the average citizen in order to deal with the dangers posed by the job.

    Needless to say, I'm losing brain cells talking to you so consider this the end of our conversation.
    You want some better murder numbers (calculated by someone else, likely with better data)? Here you go.

    Most Deadly Occupation: Truck Driver - ABC News

    Media exposure of the most dramatic violence obscures the fact that the majority of workplace assaults include slapping or pushing, experts said.

    Taxi drivers and chauffeurs are most likely to be murdered on the job, according to a national workplace study released last fall.

    The report, commissioned by the Postal Service after several highly publicized shootings by disturbed postal workers, found that Postal Service employees are no more likely to "go postal" than are other American workers.

    The researchers found that homicide rates at postal facilities were lower than in other workplaces. The highest rate of 2.1 homicides per 100,000 workers was in retail trade, which includes convenience stores, frequent targets of armed robbers. The next highest rate of l.66 was in public administration, which includes police officers. The homicide rate for postal workers was .26 per 100,000.
    So it looks like police officers aren't even the most likely to be murdered. That title goes to taxi cab drivers and chauffeurs. Being a gas station attendant makes you more likely to be murdered than being a police officer. Maybe we should let gas station attendants arm themselves to teeth and kill people who appear threatening.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  8. #8
    an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi
    Posts
    670

    Default

    Any profession that the job description includes getting oneself in situations that involve violence, using deadly weapons against deadly weapons, and dealing idiots and lunatics that nobody else wants to deal with, on calls, I'll categorize it a dangerous job. I don't think I'd need to see the statistics of the percentage of them dead or shot to give them recognition, taking into account that they have all been trained to NOT get shot/stabbed and die.
    There have been enough police hate in media coverage for so long that this kind of discussion doesn't much support people who are everyday dedicating their time and health protecting people, for shit paycheck anyway.
    .
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |
    .

  9. #9
    Senior Member OptoGypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    577

    Default

    It isn't that it's dangerous it's that people are fear driven which has them take the the worst case scenario for all scenario leading to deaths of the innocent, the breakdowns of pot dealers by the SWAT team when that can easily be negotiated with having the ice cream truck drive by the neighborhood. The crime rate is lower then ever (if you want the statistics ask for them) in other words the racism and just stupidity of the pigs has made white people in America afraid of the cops

    So as I grab my genitals I also scream FUCK the POLICE

  10. #10
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hysteria View Post
    Any profession that the job description includes getting oneself in situations that involve violence, using deadly weapons against deadly weapons, and dealing idiots and lunatics that nobody else wants to deal with, on calls, I'll categorize it a dangerous job. I don't think I'd need to see the statistics of the percentage of them dead or shot to give them recognition, taking into account that they have all been trained to NOT get shot/stabbed and die.
    There have been enough police hate in media coverage for so long that this kind of discussion doesn't much support people who are everyday dedicating their time and health protecting people, for shit paycheck anyway.
    Actually, their paycheck is above average, from what I remember most get a stable income on top of healthcare. The police force, at least in parts of California, is unionized.

    Most of the police work day, on average, are prank calls (which includes calling 911 by accident,) domestic issues like domestic violence(short of using a gun), issues like shoplifting.....traffic accidents and patrol (like tickets,) possession of drugs....those sort of stuff.

    Violence to the point of using a gun is actually very few and far between.

Similar Threads

  1. How The Left in the US Gets Away With Violence
    By Mal12345 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-08-2017, 01:03 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 06:39 PM
  3. Is ideology the bane of intellectual sophistication in the US?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 01:18 PM
  4. Christianity's Fall from Grace (in the US)
    By mippus in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 11:31 AM
  5. hello, all...this is another INFP in the corner of his world
    By niki in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 06:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO