User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Though citizens do have certain rights to make arrests for misdemeanors and felonies, those arresting powers are much more limited than law enforcement. Cops aren't vigilantes. It's their job to respond to these calls. Yelling at a suspect to drop a weapon who just shoplifted from a store is perfectly acceptable and understandable. You have the most fucked up logic, dude. You've expressed no judgement at the guy for walking into a store and stealing someone else's property, but you're offended that a cop would yell at him to drop his weapon? You should go live in some hippy commune. You've gotta be smokin' something.
    Right, what's really offensive is that I haven't talked shit about the dead guy.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    I believe it was Benjamin Disraeli who said that some people use statistics the way a drunk uses a lamp post; support rather than illumination. While some shootings in US are certainly unjustified, the comparison is quite ham-fisted.

Law enforcement in Japan is draconian in ways most Americans can't comprehend and would never tolerate. Also, Japan has an unusually elderly population. Violent crime is largely committed by younger people, of which Japan has relatively few.

Germany also has a rapidly aging population.

Regular patrol cops in the UK don't have sidearms.
    I'm sure that if you adjusted for age and other population differences, Germany's number would be around 400, right?

With British police not carrying firearms, I wonder how they manage to not be massacred by knives. Based on Bullet's responses, you'd think hundreds of British police officers would have been knifed to death every year. What tactics do they use? Do they start drum circles? Do they do interpretive dance? I'm sure it's some hippie tactic they use, because real men use guns. Real men shoot first and ask questions later. 'Murica!
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    With British police not carrying firearms, I wonder how they manage to not be massacred by knives. Based on Bullet's responses, you'd think hundreds of British police officers would have been knifed to death every year. What tactics do they use? Do they start drum circles? Do they do interpretive dance?
    No, it's much better than that.

1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Pertinent quotation from last year's news:

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Hey, 'merica:

A hostage situation in Ingolstadt city hall today: The bad guy was armed with a toy pistole and taken down by the police with shots in shoulder and leg. Nobody was killed.
    Hostage drama ends with release of captives - The Local

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

The difference is staggering. I remember when there was a lot of controversy here after a guy the police tasered died because he had a heart condition. I don't blame the police because they were following reasonable protocols and wouldn't have known if he had a medical condition. They're still using tasers but they were considering banning them. Nevertheless, a guy brandishes a knife so police fatally shoot him? That doesn't justify death. There used to be a lot of knife fights here and police could still subdue them. I can't believe people are exonerating the St. Louis police officers. Ridiculous.
    Night is another candle

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptive View Post
    Nevertheless, a guy brandishes a knife so police fatally shoot him? That doesn't justify death. There used to be a lot of knife fights here and police could still subdue them. I can't believe people are exonerating the St. Louis police officers. Ridiculous.
    Did you even watch the video I posted a few pages back of a guy attacking several officers with a knife? It took 45 seconds for him to stab 4 officers, one of whom died from his injuries. At least one of the officers had an assault rifle. In retrospect, I bet they wish they would have forced him to surrender his weapon instead of letting him take control of the situation.

I'm not sure what you're referring to about police officers subduing individuals engaged in a knife fight. Are you from a country where law enforcement doesn't carry firearms? Even if it's possible to apprehend a person who's wielding a knife, it's not worth the risk of injury or death. Police officers in the US generally use common sense when it comes to these things. They're not going to coddle someone who is putting their life in imminent danger.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Did you even watch the video I posted a few pages back of a guy attacking several officers with a knife? It took 45 seconds for him to stab 4 officers, one of whom died from his injuries. At least one of the officers had an assault rifle. In retrospect, I bet they wish they would have forced him to surrender his weapon instead of letting him take control of the situation.

I'm not sure what you're referring to about police officers subduing individuals engaged in a knife fight. Are you from a country where law enforcement doesn't carry firearms? Even if it's possible to apprehend a person who's wielding a knife, it's not worth the risk of injury or death. Police officers in the US generally use common sense when it comes to these things. They're not going to coddle someone who is putting their life in imminent danger.
    Maybe he's from England, where some bobbies tried to arrest the members of a terrorist cell with nothing but night sticks - ending up with one of the bobbies being stabbed through the heart with a knife.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Did you even watch the video I posted a few pages back of a guy attacking several officers with a knife?
    No, since I hadn’t read through the thread.

It took 45 seconds for him to stab 4 officers, one of whom died from his injuries. At least one of the officers had an assault rifle. In retrospect, I bet they wish they would have forced him to surrender his weapon instead of letting him take control of the situation.
    I don’t see how they’re comparable. In the video you posted, it's obvious the police should have been more proactive. In Powell's case, they took charge; he was close enough to be tasered yet they shot him several times.

Even if it's possible to apprehend a person who's wielding a knife, it's not worth the risk of injury or death. Police officers in the US generally use common sense when it comes to these things.
    Not worth the risk… what? Do you think the US is the only country with knife crimes? We used to have knife fights here and yet the police could still control the situation without killing anyone. It's possible, you know, when you use conductive energy devices and pepper spray.

They're not going to coddle someone who is putting their life in imminent danger.
    And who actually expects the police to do this?
    Night is another candle

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptive View Post
    The difference is staggering. I remember when there was a lot of controversy here after a guy the police tasered died because he had a heart condition. I don't blame the police because they were following reasonable protocols and wouldn't have known if he had a medical condition. They're still using tasers but they were considering banning them. Nevertheless, a guy brandishes a knife so police fatally shoot him? That doesn't justify death. There used to be a lot of knife fights here and police could still subdue them. I can't believe people are exonerating the St. Louis police officers. Ridiculous.
    People like Bullet do nothing but make excuses for the police. Everything can be justified in their minds. If he had his way, the police would be shooting 90-year old grandmothers holding letter openers because it's too risky to not do it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Pertinent quotation from last year's news:

Hostage drama ends with release of captives - The Local
    American police officers would have shot the guy at least 20 times because they are "real men".