User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 112

  1. #31
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    The video speaks for itself. What would you have done if you were the officer standing closest to him?
    I would have backed up, then used my taser.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  2. #32
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Uhh...yeah, there was no tension before the police arrived because there was no one to apprehend or hold the perp accountable for his actions.
    LOL

    And how are the police supposed to apprehend a suspect who is aggressively approaching them with a knife? Your rationale is absurd. They weren't acting as executioners. It was self-defense from a criminal who was posing a legitimate threat to their safety.
    If that was self defense, then you must believe George Zimmerman is one of the greatest heroes in American History. At no point were their lives actually in danger. The police, and like-minded people, perceived danger, but that's because they imagine there are boogeymen out to get them around every corner. It's better to shoot first and ask questions later, like the cop in the Virginia who thought he was shooting an intruder in his garage, then realized he had shot his own daughter.

    Police: Virginia deputy shot daughter, crashed car - WTOP.com

    That's what cops are being taught today. If you feel any sense of danger, shoot first, ask questions later (or don't ask questions, just close the case and hope no one protests).

    Yeah, I guess you're right. At no point, did the suspect take it upon himself to brandish a weapon and approach the officers in a threatening manner.
    That was threatening? You have a really low threshold for what you consider threatening. You sound like a coward.

    Your lack of comprehension has failed you again. The point is not when the last knife massacre occurred in the US or how many police officers were killed. I know this is going to be a really hard concept for you to grasp so bear with me. A knife is a knife. It doesn't matter what country the knife resides in. The fact is, knives are deadly weapons which can cause devastating damage to an individual person and in some instances, crowds of people. When a police officer sees a suspect wielding a knife, do you really think his rational mind is going to try to calculate statistics of how many people have died from knife attacks, what country they lived in and what their professions were? It's irrelevant and your logic is flawed.
    LOL, because you can imagine something could happen, police should always have a hair trigger just in case their worst nightmares come true? That's not the type of society I want to live in.

    You have incredibly low standards of behavior for police officers. We could get any random drunk or drug addict, give them a badge, and they could meet your pathetic standard.

    The police didn't violate his rights. If someone is posing a threat to your life, you have a right to defend yourself whether you're a police officer or a civilian. You're excusing the suspect's actions on the basis that he was mentally ill and villainizing the officers because you have a disdain for law enforcement.
    The officer's lives weren't actually threatened.

    I have disdain for anyone who abuses their power, whether it's the President or a local police officer. Abuse of power is unacceptable, and police officers around the country do it every day.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    LOL


    If that was self defense, then you must believe George Zimmerman is one of the greatest heroes in American History. At no point were their lives actually in danger. The police, and like-minded people, perceived danger, but that's because they imagine there are boogeymen out to get them around every corner. It's better to shoot first and ask questions later, like the cop in the Virginia who thought he was shooting an intruder in his garage, then realized he had shot his own daughter.

    Police: Virginia deputy shot daughter, crashed car - WTOP.com

    That's what cops are being taught today. If you feel any sense of danger, shoot first, ask questions later (or don't ask questions, just close the case and hope no one protests).


    That was threatening? You have a really low threshold for what you consider threatening. You sound like a coward.


    LOL, because you can imagine something could happen, police should always have a hair trigger just in case their worst nightmares come true? That's not the type of society I want to live in.

    You have incredibly low standards of behavior for police officers. We could get any random drunk or drug addict, give them a badge, and they could meet your pathetic standard.


    The officer's lives weren't actually threatened.

    I have disdain for anyone who abuses their power, whether it's the President or a local police officer. Abuse of power is unacceptable, and police officers around the country do it every day.
    You obviously have no concept of what a person with a knife can do in a short amount of time. The fact that you think these cops should have given this mentally unstable person who was behaving erratically the benefit of the doubt highlights your ignorance.

    I encourage you to watch this video of a man stabbing several police officers. It starts at about 7:25. Viewer discretion is advised. Notice that he is roughly the same distance as the St. Louis suspect and his hand is down at his side before he lunges instantaneously. This is why cops in the US have a "hair trigger" as you say. You'll be happy to know that one of the officers died from his injuries.


  4. #34
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    You obviously have no concept of what a person with a knife can do in a short amount of time. The fact that you think these cops should have given this mentally unstable person who was behaving erratically the benefit of the doubt highlights your ignorance.
    I have a pretty good idea. You're just an extremist. You think you either have to blow the guy away or let him kill you. There is no middle ground in your mind. The police must immediately initiate a confrontation and end it within seconds. I'm sure you're looking forward to the day when police officers have armed drones. Then they won't even have to be in harm's way. They can "eliminate threats" from afar.

    I encourage you to watch this video of a man stabbing several police officers. It starts at about 7:25. Viewer discretion is advised. Notice that he is roughly the same distance as the St. Louis suspect and his hand is down at his side before he lunges instantaneously. This is why cops in the US have a "hair trigger" as you say. You'll be happy to know that one of the officers died from his injuries.
    Why would I be happy the cop died? I don't want cops to die. I don't want American citizens to die. You are the one who only cares about the safety of one of those groups.

    It's sad that a cop died, but that was not in the US. It looks like those cops didn't have tasers, pepper spray, rubber bullets, or any of the other non-lethal weapons American police officers have access to. American officers have more options, if they ever choose to use them. They do sometimes, like when they use tasers on 8-year old children, pregnant women, disabled people, and the elderly.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  5. #35
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    LOL
    The staff were intimidated and made no attempts to resist. At this point a crime had been committed already. You are happy to defend Brown's actions and consider him a martyr despite the fact that he robbed a store, twice. Choose your heroes more carefully.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    If that was self defense, then you must believe George Zimmerman is one of the greatest heroes in American History. At no point were their lives actually in danger. The police, and like-minded people, perceived danger, but that's because they imagine there are boogeymen out to get them around every corner. It's better to shoot first and ask questions later, like the cop in the Virginia who thought he was shooting an intruder in his garage, then realized he had shot his own daughter.
    You actually do have to make split-second decisions about what to do when an aggressive man armed with any kind of weapon approaches you. Fight or flight. I would like to see your reaction in this kind of situation. Also in this case, a psychotic thug was taken off the streets for good. That you see a reason to mourn shows a disregard for context.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    That was threatening? You have a really low threshold for what you consider threatening. You sound like a coward.
    Easy to call people cowards when you weren't the one facing it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    LOL, because you can imagine something could happen, police should always have a hair trigger just in case their worst nightmares come true? That's not the type of society I want to live in.

    You have incredibly low standards of behavior for police officers. We could get any random drunk or drug addict, give them a badge, and they could meet your pathetic standard.
    Oh, I agree. Police should be forced to sit IQ tests, and affirmative action should be abolished. Nobody with a criminal record should be able to join the police force - I doubt you will find many people who disagree with that sentiment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The officer's lives weren't actually threatened.

    I have disdain for anyone who abuses their power, whether it's the President or a local police officer. Abuse of power is unacceptable, and police officers around the country do it every day.
    Your mistake is to assume conscious, malicious intent in a situation where people are not thinking rationally. You can find better examples of police abusing this powers than this.

  6. #36
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    The video speaks for itself. What would you have done if you were the officer standing closest to him?
    Why do I have to view myself as an officer?

    Is there a difference between what an officer would get away with and what a citizen would get away with?

    If the video speaks for itself why did the officers lie about how threatening he was being?

  7. #37
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    The staff were intimidated and made no attempts to resist. At this point a crime had been committed already. You are happy to defend Brown's actions and consider him a martyr despite the fact that he robbed a store, twice. Choose your heroes more carefully.
    The punishment for armed robbery is not death.

    Brown is a martyr? For what? Martyrs have causes. What was Brown's cause?

    You actually do have to make split-second decisions about what to do when an aggressive man armed with any kind of weapon approaches you. Fight or flight. I would like to see your reaction in this kind of situation. Also in this case, a psychotic thug was taken off the streets for good. That you see a reason to mourn shows a disregard for context.
    You have to make split second decisions once the conflict has initiated, but the police don't have to immediately initiate the conflict without surveying the scene first. Imagine the military executing an attack without prior reconnaissance. Anyone would say that's idiotic. Yet when the police do the same thing, people defend them. That's insane.

    Easy to call people cowards when you weren't the one facing it.
    That's true, but I wouldn't have rushed in and put myself into a precarious situation without having a freaking clue what was actually going on. I'm far more careful and calculating than the buffoons in the video.

    Oh, I agree. Police should be forced to sit IQ tests, and affirmative action should be abolished. Nobody with a criminal record should be able to join the police force - I doubt you will find many people who disagree with that sentiment.
    I don't disagree with that sentiment, but you'll find entire police departments that disagree.

    Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops - ABC News

    The police don't want intelligent people to join. Intelligent people are more likely to question orders, question authority. Police departments want followers, not independent thinkers. The Blue Line is more important than the Constitution.

    Your mistake is to assume conscious, malicious intent in a situation where people are not thinking rationally. You can find better examples of police abusing this powers than this.
    I agree that there are better examples of police abusing their power, but this particular thread is about this incident. I could post hundreds of links to instances of the police abusing their power, and Bullet would defend the police in every single instance.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  8. #38
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It's sad that a cop died, but that was not in the US. It looks like those cops didn't have tasers, pepper spray, rubber bullets,
    Patrol cops don't normally have rubber bullets.

    or any of the other non-lethal [sic] weapons American police officers have access to.
    Less lethal. Some people die from being pepper sprayed because they have preexisting respiratory problems. And there are plenty of people who have died after being zapped with a Taser.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

  9. #39
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Lawofficersplainers,

    Splain to me how this guy committed suicide by shooting himself in the chest with his hand handcuffed behind him.

    Victor White autopsy findings released - KLFY News 10

  10. #40
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Also, empirical evidence that police don't have to go around killing people.



    Plenty of knife crime in the UK yet they manage to not fill knife carriers full of lead.

Similar Threads

  1. St. Louis, keep up the good work!
    By Lateralus in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 12:40 AM
  2. ST vs NF
    By labyrinthine in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-21-2007, 05:39 AM
  3. St. Paul's type?
    By INTJMom in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-14-2007, 12:02 PM
  4. Iraq-Bound Soldier Hires Hitman To Shoot Him
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 07:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO