User Tag List

First 9101112 Last

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

I'm bored by the discussion of race and the media, too. I realize I instigated it but as I stated previously, regardless of race, I'm concerned about the unnecessary lethal force in this situation. I’ve been researching “shooting to wound vs. kill”, examples of CED use in knife crimes and protocols here and in the US regarding knife offenses. This is what has been reported: Powell stole a donut and the convenience store clerk called the police and warned them that he was armed with a knife (fyi, some witnesses on twitter report that it was a butter knife).

In light of this information, I did some research to show you non-lethal methods of controlling knife-wielders and the weapons used to disarm them.

• Here’s a video of a large man (bigger than Powell but also mentally disturbed) being tasered in the US. Note how there’s more than one officer present.

• Here’s another video of a mentally ill man being tasered in Brazil, he’s holding a knife, ready to charge at the officers. Note the number of officers present and how easily they used a taser.

• Here’s a video of a man in London holding a machete. Note how the distance between police and the offender and the number of police officers present. They used pepper spray in this situation.

• Here’s another video of a mentally disturbed man holding two knives. Note the number of police officers present, that he starts charging and how the police officers manoeuvre around him.

• Here’s an article that discusses how UK police officers deal with knife-wielding criminals.
      The officers who shot Powell did have a choice. They could have moved away from him. They could have gotten back into their car to protect themselves. They could have run away. All of those options are preferable to killing someone, and those tactics are used in other countries where human life is deemed more valuable than the need to assert authority.
      Police protocol in America allows police officers to apply lethal force when there is “probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm … to the officer or to others.” So a police officer can basically say, “I thought the guy was a threat, so I killed him”. It’s incredibly subjective, and the broad definition and has lead to the death of around 400 people a year in America, a massively disproportionate number being black. That is compared to zero deaths from police shootings in the England and Wales for 2013/14, and zero police officers killed by attackers.

If the police officers knew Powell was armed, why weren’t there more than two at the scene? Additionally, and I’ll keep repeating it, why did they park so close if they knew he was armed? What is the purpose of that?
    Night is another candle

The USA has taken two wrong paths. The first is guns. And the second in Eugenics.

And we see on this site Americans still defending their mistakes with guns and Eugenics.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The USA has taken two wrong paths. The first is guns. And the second in Eugenics.

And we see on this site Americans still defending their mistakes with guns and Eugenics.
    How about if we only let those with superior breeding have guns?

(Actually, if the U.S. has been engaging in a program of eugenics, it has been woefully unsuccessful.)
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    (Actually, if the U.S. has been engaging in a program of eugenics, it has been woefully unsuccessful.)
    Indeed, but the important thing is that we're constantly procreating. Whether or not parents are financially or emotionally stable enough to raise children is completely irrelevant. There's no shortage of social programs to ensure that mothers have the freedom to reproduce until they dry up. Fathers may be arrested for failing to pay child support, but there's no sense in the government placing constraints on mothers who continually have offspring they can't afford to take care of. The more the merrier!

How about if we only let those with superior breeding have guns?

I am sick of quoting Wikipedia at you. So please read about your history of Eugenics and how it is still legal and practised in the USA today by clicking on Eugenics in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No wonder Americans on this site defend the indefensible: guns and Eugenics.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Indeed, but the important thing is that we're constantly procreating. Whether or not parents are financially or emotionally stable enough to raise children is completely irrelevant. There's no shortage of social programs to ensure that mothers have the freedom to reproduce until they dry up. Fathers may be arrested for failing to pay child support, but there's no sense in the government placing constraints on mothers who continually have offspring they can't afford to take care of. The more the merrier!
    Ready access to birth control and even abortion would go far to rectify the situation, but conservative elements particularly have opposed these measures, while also opposing said social programs. Common sense goals once again sacrificed to ideology.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Ready access to birth control and even abortion would go far to rectify the situation, but conservative elements particularly have opposed these measures, while also opposing said social programs. Common sense goals once again sacrificed to ideology.
    Forced sterilization for irresponsible parents would also be an effective strategy. Just because someone has the biological means to mass produce children who will most likely end up in the prison system, doesn't mean taxpayers should financially accommodate it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Forced sterilization for irresponsible parents would also be an effective strategy. Just because someone has the biological means to mass produce children who will most likely end up in the prison system, doesn't mean taxpayers should financially accommodate it.
    Perhaps, but it would be met with even more political and ideological opposition than voluntary measures, which have never been fully exploited. I would be interested in seeing their impact first.

Not common sense at all and potentially racist. It only makes sense to those who have a selfish individualized view of humanity. Some of us think life is about more than limiting your family to 2.5 children so that you can afford the latest flat screen and a Lexus. Of course it also makes sense to those who just don't want to see black people breed.

I mean ffs if a life born into a single mother led family of 5 in the 21st century isn't worth living then why didn't humanity just kill itself off millinia if not centuries before we discovered indoor plumbing.

Shit while we're at it why not just carpet bomb those savages in the Southern Hemisphere and give them the sweet kiss of death instead of their sad existence without netflix and clean water.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Not common sense at all and potentially racist. It only makes sense to those who have a selfish individualized view of humanity. Some of us think life is about more than limiting your family to 2.5 children so that you can afford the latest flat screen and a Lexus. Of course it also makes sense to those who just don't want to see black people breed.

I mean ffs if a life born into a single mother led family of 5 in the 21st century isn't worth living then why didn't humanity just kill itself off millinia if not centuries before we discovered indoor plumbing.

Shit while we're at it why not just carpet bomb those savages in the Southern Hemisphere and give them the sweet kiss of death instead of their sad existence without netflix and clean water.
    Not sure how this relates to making it easy for people to limit their family size voluntarily.