123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default FOOD FIGHT! Or, Michelle Obama's Failure as First Lady

Michelle Obama is systematically starving school children in the US, all in the name of reducing statistics on obesity. Children aren't allowed to put on bake sales to raise money, they aren't allowed to sell girl scout cookies during the day, they are throwing away their green beans (hey, I like green beans!) and are going to McDonald's for lunch instead of partaking in Michelle Obama's anti-obesity school lunches.
    "We believe that proper food nutrition and meal portion guidelines are best decided at a local level," said Rick Petfalski, School Board president for the Muskego-Norway School District. School districts are losing money as school lunches go uneaten.
    “It’s unbelievable to me the amount of guidelines that are there,” state Board of Education Chairman Fielding Rolston said.
    "We believe that proper food nutrition and meal portion guidelines are best decided at a local level," said Rick Petfalski, School Board president for the Muskego-Norway School District.

Michelle Obama's War on Bake Sales Leaves School Programs Scrambling | National Review Online
    Some districts balk at latest serving of school lunch rules
    http://www.kenoshanews.com/news/scho...477797835.html
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I ate a vegetable once, and then my penis fell off.

To be less sarcastic..... I think enforcing something like that for lunches is one thing, and totally fine, but enforcing it for fundraisers is something different. Nobody's going to do well with a fundraiser selling green beans.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

This is why I believe it's best to change behavior through education rather than coercion. Carbs are making Americans fat and it's the government's fault for steering us away from meat (saturated fats). The obesity epidemic might be the most serious government screw-up since Prohibition.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    DEUS

If you cannot handle the responsibility given to you, you deserve to have it taken away. School boards have been sleeping on this issue for too long.
    Where are the parents? The state intervened and made it easier for parents to do their job -i.e. imprint healthy lifestyles onto their children. Tell your youngling not to go to McDonald's, eat what is served at school, and punish them if they disobey. It is maybe too much to ask parents to take responsibility of the well-being of their children, when the helpless manifestations of Gluttony can't even take responsibility for themselves.
    ‘Many novelties have come from America. The most startling of these, a thing without precedent, is a mass of undignified poor. They do not love one another because they do not love themselves.’

‘And we will have made great strides in equality,
    when few have too much and fewer too little.’.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    This is why I believe it's best to change behavior through education rather than coercion. Carbs are making Americans fat and it's the government's fault for steering us away from meat (saturated fats). The obesity epidemic might be the most serious government screw-up since Prohibition.
    The government is responsible for people being fat? And it's because the government is steering people away from meat? LOL, that's totally believable. I mean, the fattest people I know are all vegans and vegetarians.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    yupp

sometimes you gotta blame yourself for the worlds problems. the goverment can't force us to eat or not eat. it does not have that power.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

If Michelle Obama's guidelines provide healthy lunches, and students throw those lunches away and go to McDonald's, then Darwin will take care of them. "Deciding meal portion guidelines on a local level" is code for "We gon feed our kids what done been good for us and the gub'ment ain't gonna stop us".
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    yupp

with things like this. people like you would bitch if they didn't attempt to anything. and there's no real good solution to this situation except education but you often can't get these kids to even go to class so not a viable option. you can't force people to eat food they don't want without breaking certain laws. but as soon as the attempt something also get criticized. and it's not just republicans or this exact situation extreme right wingers are going to criticize anything a democrat does just like an extreme democrat will criticize a republican. It's more like people are too concern what party the other person belongs to. the point is no matter what is done people are gonna find fault. there is no perfect solution.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus
    And it's because the government is steering people away from meat? LOL, that's totally believable. I mean, the fattest people I know are all vegans and vegetarians.
    Profiling Food Consumption in America

Here are the facts:

1. ERS data suggest that average daily calorie intake increased by 24.5 percent, or about 530 calories, between 1970 and 2000.
    2. Of that 24.5-percent increase, grains (mainly refined grain products) contributed 9.5percentage points;
    3. added fats and oils,9.0 percentage points;
    4. added sugars, 4.7 percentage points;
    5. fruits and vegetables together, 1.5 percentage points;
    6. meats and nuts together, 1 percentage point;
    7. and dairy products and eggs together, -1.5 percentage point.

Let me point out the carbs in that list:

1. Most of the added fats and oils come from shortening (from 10.9 pounds in 1950 to 23.1 pounds in 2000) in baked goods.
    2. Most of the sugar is from baked goods, junk food, and soft drinks.
    3. Most of the grains is from baked goods.

So you have roughly 90% of the increase in caloric intake due to carbohydrates. Only 5% of the increase come from meats and nuts.

Did I imagine the campaign against cholesterol and saturated fats from the government, the media, and the medical establishment?
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Permabanned

Forgive me as I'm childless...but I thought your child's nutrition was your responsibility?

McDonalds isn't making anyone fat, the parents who allow them to eat there are..

Big Government, Small Government, No Government...you child's outcomes are dependent on you, are they not?

Raise your kids well, I think. If you're dependent on other people to do so...well, don't be surprised if you don't particularly like the product.

It's your responsibility.