User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 140

  1. #71
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Anything can be used as a weapon. You have a really low standard for the police to be able to kill people.
    Lethal force is to be met with lethal force. Do you really think that people who have been murdered with vehicles are somehow less dead than those who were shot or stabbed?
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

  2. #72
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Yeah those Sunday school teachers can be deadly with their vehicles.
    Better to just take them out.

    Culpeper Cop Who Shot and Killed Patricia Cook Sentenced to Three Years in Prison - Hit & Run : Reason.com

  3. #73
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    This is true. Pejorative language is the norm in the USA whether it is sexual, or about the democratically elected government, or the police, or even Sigmund Freud, or intellectuals, or critics.
    The point is that you are considering certain terms to be pejorative, while the majority, including those whom the terms describe, do not. A term is not pejorative simply because you say so. Even terms like "witch" are being reclaimed by modern-day pagans, to refer to an earlier positive meaning. In contrast, terms like "authoress" and "aviatrix" are no longer in favor, since they highlight the gender of the person in a situation where it is usually irrelevant.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  4. #74
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    This girl should have been shot. She attacked a government agent with her car.

    Bottled-water purchase leads to night in jail for UVa student

  5. #75
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    If you're going for a pejorative, try 'pigs' instead. Because that one is actually a pejorative.
    Excuse you, bacon is delicious.

  6. #76
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Yeah those Sunday school teachers can be deadly with their vehicles.
    Better to just take them out.

    Culpeper Cop Who Shot and Killed Patricia Cook Sentenced to Three Years in Prison - Hit & Run : Reason.com
    Witnesses are notoriously unreliable. Sometimes they are great, and sometimes you have a half dozen people witness a crash and all give conflicting descriptions. In addition to the witness and officer's lousy track record, I'm guessing they also addressed whether or not he had injuries consistent with his version of the incident.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    This girl should have been shot. She attacked a government agent with her car.

    Bottled-water purchase leads to night in jail for UVa student
    It's a little different with someone in plainclothes, which they probably should have taken into account. This brings me to something my best friend (who works in law enforcement) says: "Anyone claiming to have made something foolproof is underestimating the ingenuity of fools."

    On the other hand you have stuff like this: Trooper Christopher Skinner, New York State Police, New York

    Police Officer II Roberto C. Sanchez, Los Angeles Police Department, California

    Officer Mark H. Larson, Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, Florida

    http://www.odmp.org/officer/21386-tr...gene-demuth-jr
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

  7. #77
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    Lethal force is to be met with lethal force. Do you really think that people who have been murdered with vehicles are somehow less dead than those who were shot or stabbed?
    And everyone in an automobile could potentially be using lethal force. It's better to shoot first and ask questions later because the officer's life is what is most important. Protect and serve? Not anymore. Not in 2014. In 2014 it's all about the Blue Line.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  8. #78
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    This girl should have been shot. She attacked a government agent with her car.

    Bottled-water purchase leads to night in jail for UVa student
    The victim is fortunate she was a female (and probably white). If she was a black male, no charges would have been dropped. He's be sitting in prison right now, if he was even alive. He might have ended up like Trayvon Martin.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  9. #79
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    That's part of the job. Police work is dangerous (well, not really, see below). That's simply a fact of life (not really a fact, it's a falsehood that many people believe because we've heard it so much), but what the police are trying to do by being overly forceful and violent is to transfer that (perceived) risk to the people they encounter. That is unfair. That is not right.

    It's not like police work is the most dangerous occupation out there. According to this article on Forbes, being a police officer doesn't even make the top-10 in a list of the most dangerous jobs. There are approximately 1.3 million police officers (around 900,000 sworn) in the US. 33 were killed by firearms in the line of duty last year. That's a murder rate of 2.53 per 100,000, which is nearly half the murder rate of American citizens as a whole (4.8). Many more died from other causes in the line of duty, like traffic accidents, but so do truckers and pizza delivery drivers and no one says we should let truckers and pizza delivery drivers kill people to save themselves.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  10. #80
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Tips For Being An Unarmed Black Teen | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

    With riots raging in Ferguson, MO following the shooting death by police of an unarmed African-American youth, the nation has turned its eyes toward social injustice and the continuing crisis of race relations. Here are The Onion’s tips for being an unarmed black teen in America:

    -Shy away from dangerous, heavily policed areas.
    -Avoid swaggering or any other confident behavior that suggests you are not completely subjugated.
    -Be sure not to pick up any object that could be perceived by a police officer as a firearm, such as a cell phone, a food item, or nothing.
    -Explain in clear and logical terms that you do not enjoy being shot, and would prefer that it not happen.
    -Don’t let society stereotype you as a petty criminal. Remember that you can be seen as so much more, from an armed robbery suspect, to a rape suspect, to a murder suspect.
    -Try to see it from a police officer’s point of view: You may be unarmed, but you’re also black.
    -Avoid wearing clothing associated with the gang lifestyle, such as shirts and pants.
    -Revel in the fact that by simply existing, you exert a threatening presence over the nation’s police force.
    -Be as polite and straightforward as possible when police officers are kicking the shit out of you.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Similar Threads

  1. Riot Clowns Charge Jack-Booted Thugs at G8
    By Mal12345 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-24-2013, 12:38 PM
  2. Street Thugs get a surprise
    By swordpath in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-12-2010, 01:52 PM
  3. Thug hoiks woman's eye out of window
    By matmos in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-24-2009, 05:46 PM
  4. Framing: Thug, Terrorist, Pirate, any Difference?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-24-2009, 04:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO