User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Perhaps you need jackbooted thugs to keep your host of well-regulated militias in check.
    I understood that USA police were heavily armed to counter the heavy arms of civilians in the USA gun culture.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

In Brazil, drug dealers are often much better armed than the police, which I think is a much worse scenario.

This leads to police lenience/cowardness and/or corruption quite easily.

Which is not the say USA is not fucked up in its own way. Incarceration rate is scary, and the sentences tend to be very severe based on what I've seen. Which is evidence of a system that sees criminals as threats to be eliminated, rather than human beings meant to be re-integrated to society.

Man, this sounded so leftist. Dem feminists be like

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    If it wasn't for the "police" patches, you could easily be fooled into thinking this picture was taken in Iraq or Afghanistan. But it was taken in the US, where our police are sometimes more heavily outfitted than our military. It's clear who the real enemy of the state is. It's the people.
    You might like this article: Overkill: The Rise of Paramilitary Police Raids in America Overkill: The Rise of Paramilitary Police Raids in America | Cato Institute

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    When the criminals have this, yes, it's necessary:

@Qlip This discussion reminds me of a program I really liked as a kid in the 70's titled S.W.A.T.

SWAT teams have been around since the late 60's SWAT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Call me a cynic but it all probably boils down to big budgets and job security for the cops
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Well, @Lateralus. Looks like that event needed may be happening, did you know about this before you opened this thread?

Wake Up, America. What’s Going On In Ferguson, MO, Should Scare You | An Unquiet Chicagoan

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Well, @Lateralus. Looks like that event needed may be happening, did you know about this before you opened this thread?

Wake Up, America. What’s Going On In Ferguson, MO, Should Scare You | An Unquiet Chicagoan
    The photo in my original post is from Ferguson, MO, about 25 miles from where I live. What the police are doing here is disgraceful and infuriating. The police have absolutely no respect for the Constitution or the people. They view us all as the enemy. I've been tempted to drive through Ferguson just to see if they'll arrest me, but they're more likely to just shoot me.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

I thought I couldn't be any more disgusted after watching what happened last night until I saw the subsequent boot-licking on twitter, fb, and national media.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    How often are crimes committed with that type of weaponry, per jurisdiction? Once a week? Once a year? Once a century? I want data.
    If X knows that Z has strong weaponry, X wont try to fuck with Z very easily. If X knows that Z doesent have other than one small caliber pistol and X has sniper rifle, minigun and a rocket launcher, X doesent have to care what Z thinks about robbery or anything.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    If X knows that Z has strong weaponry, X wont try to fuck with Z very easily. If X knows that Z doesent have other than one small caliber pistol and X has sniper rifle, minigun and a rocket launcher, X doesent have to care what Z thinks about robbery or anything.
    You made a great argument for giving the police armed drones and tactical nuclear weapons.

I have a different view of policing. It's not about who has the biggest guns. Leave that pissing contest to the military.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I thought I couldn't be any more disgusted after watching what happened last night until I saw the subsequent boot-licking on twitter, fb, and national media.
    I'm glad Rand Paul hasn't backtracked on this issue.

Senator Rand Paul on Ferguson: We Must Demilitarize the Police - TIME

He's the only potential Republican candidate I would consider voting for (especially if it's him against Hillary). It's too bad he has about a 1 in a million chance of winning the nomination.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

All I keep hearing is "Anger! Rage! Fear!" and to be honest I am tired of it. Both sides are at fault for having this spiral out of control. I do not feel like we are getting the full story because both sides are so emotionally charged/misinformed that I don't trust all of it.

While I do agree the "militerization" of local police department is not beneficial, and many have internal corruption, it is not this doomsday scenario that people think it will play out to be. There are A LOT of people that seem to just be anti-authority to the point of it actually becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy where they insight problems on themselves. I honestly roll my eyes at a lot of it. No, the police are not going to start creating martial law, or using excessive force everywhere we go. Why? Because if it does happen it will be stopped. It just needs to happen at the right place at the right time. Sadly, this took off as it did because of likely racism and power-trips, but it is isolated. The good that will come out of this is awareness, but the bad is insighting too much anger in the wrong people.

As for now, I am going to continue living my life. Like the LA riots, this will be over soon enough and people will learn something from it. I wish it wasn't plastered everywhere though.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari