User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The bizarre American practice of electing Sherrifs and Judicial Officers only leads to corruption.

Liberal democracy is based on the Limitation of Powers. And the Limitation of Powers is based on the Separation of Powers.

So the power of our elected representatives is separate from judicial power and the power of police.

So electing Sherrifs and Judicial Officers is not liberal democratic and leads to corruption.
    These are not qualifications to be a Public Defender

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The sentiments enunciated in this article from City Journal mirror my own.

A Grotesque Pantomime of Repression and Redemption

Activists and journalists are stuck in the racial resentments of the 1960s.

An excerpt...
    Your buddy Rand thinks race is an issue. Check out what he wrote for Time.

I think there are a few major issues that have combined to cause this mess. The most important is actually the lack of accountability of police officers. And this isn't just a problem with Ferguson police. It's all police officers in the US. The problem is systemic. The second problem is racism. The third problem is the militarization of the police. The first and the third problems can be fixed with better policy. The second problem can't. We can only hope to mitigate it by eliminating the first problem. It is vital that we eliminate the first problem because it doesn't just affect blacks, it affects everyone. Blacks just get the worst of it.

Anyone who says "that's what you get for not obeying the police" should have to go through "sensitivity training", but not the typical sensitivity training. They should have to go through what this grandmother went through:

"We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

LOL, that guy looks like someone who wants to help railroad all of his "clients".
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post

If she didn't want the swat team to terrorize her then she should have secured her Internet.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    If she didn't want the swat team to terrorize her then she should have secured her Internet.
    While this is true and on an intellectual level I agree, it does not make it right.

Edit: Ok, so apparently that was sarcastic. I has fail .
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The fact is you reveal yourself in your language. You refer to the police with the pejorative word cop, rather than referring to the police with the respectful words police officer.

Your very words betray your hatred of police.
    Is that why so many cops say, "I'm a cop"? Your post makes no sense. Using your "reasoning," cops hate themselves.
    On a side note: Those reps are unnecessary. If you're going to post bullshit or unsubstantiated claims, it shouldn't surprise you if you get called out on it.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Your buddy Rand thinks race is an issue. Check out what he wrote for Time.
    Oh, I've read that article. And if I were running for pres I would be making the right kind of noises too.

Race is an issue, but it's not the only one. Nor is it the 1960's out there.

I've always been a civil libertarian, and to the extent there are shitty cops out there with more discretionary latitude than they need or should have, I think things need to change.

I'm less concerned with the material militarization of the police except insofar as carrying the gear negatively impacts the attitude of the police. Which is to say to the extent that the gear encourages a militaristic mind set among the police, I'm against it. But to be honest the military gear thing reflects the messed up nature of Pentagon contracts. Someone's making a shit load of $$$ selling police dept.s armored vehicles they don't need.

I guess it would be too much to ask the media to stop from creating a narrative until enough of the facts are known to be able to do so accurately.

#NOTABOUTRACE

Plenty more in the comments here:
    Support Officer Darren Wilson by Stand Up - GoFundMe

For instance: "Make sure you get a white gentile lawyer."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    #NOTABOUTRACE

Plenty more in the comments here:
    Support Officer Darren Wilson by Stand Up - GoFundMe

For instance: "Make sure you get a white gentile lawyer."
    If I was in Darren Wilson's shoes, I'd have a difficult time accepting that money. I might, I might not. I can't say for sure without being in that situation, but the idea of accepting money from such overt racists makes my skin crawl.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Something I've been thinking about, why haven't we seen pictures of Darren Wilson's injuries? With the release of the convenience store video tape (against the orders of the governor), it's clear that the Ferguson PD is trying to play a PR game. Pictures of Wilson's injuries would go a long way toward getting him some public sympathy. I know he's in "hiding" right now, but you don't have to leave your hiding place to release a picture of your (allegedly) broken face. It doesn't make any sense for the Ferguson PD to not release a picture of his injuries.

This line of thought brings up another possibility. Someone said to me today, "If I shot someone like Wilson did, the first thing I'd do is grab the tire iron out of the trunk and smash it into my own face. That beats going to prison."