MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Ugh

Suspect dead in officer-involved shooting

I hate the phrase "officer involved shooting."
    I don't think we can certain of anything at this point, but it sounds like suicide by cop. Hopefully they will be able to at least get surveillance video of it. I have no idea about these 2 particular officers, but it's common for cops to have a digital voice recorders in a pouch on their belts to record things like conversations during traffic stops and field interviews.

Some agencies (such as Rialto PD) even go beyond that and issue all patrol officers small video cameras that are either mounted on the side of their sunglasses or clip onto the front of their uniform shirts. Upon making contact with someone, officers start by informing them that they are on candid camera. This seems to significantly reduce use-of-force incidents, which is probably twofold in that it keeps officers from being overly aggressive and being informed that they are on camera discourages suspects from getting violent.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    What do you mean by racist undertones?

Do you mean that the KKK's involvement has bearing on whether the officers shooting of Mr. Brown was racially motivated?

Or do you mean that the reaction to the shooting involves racist undertones? Please explain a little more if you could.
    Can you imagine how would you feel if you were in that person's position? Casually walking down the street, unarmed, and out of the blue you have 3 automatic weapons pointed directly at you? One wrong move and he could easily get shot. What if his cellphone rings and he reaches for it by reflex? I believe Mr. Brown died in similar circumstances.

One must wonder what triggered that level of cautioness. So I ask, do you believe they would treat an average white person with the same degree of suspiciousness? Because personally, I think that would be naive. Still, the cops have plenty of plausible deniability because it's pretty much impossible to prove a direct cause-consequence relationship between the guy's race and how the cops acted in that particular scenario. But if you ask yourself the right questions, without an agenda, you can easily see racist undertones playing a role.

Also, one can't show me a graph saying a black person is 2 or 3 or 4 times more likely than a white person to do <whatever> in order to justify treating an innocent black person that way. You need a whole lot more than abstract statistics to point 3 automatic weapons at someone who didn't do anything suspicious.

The KKK involvement just made me more convinced that something was smelling bad, but per se not a definite proof.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

It's rare, but once in a while they are right.

Are we actually asking whether racism is involved here?

Ferguson is a majority black city ruled by a majority of white people. The riots weren't caused by the media they were caused by the long-term frustration locals have had with the way they have been treated by their own police and local government.

Even right now black people in St. Louis are saying that they're not worried about getting to the bottom of what happened in the shooting today because "there's no silliness over here... People have your back. You aren't alone like you are in Ferguson."

Without the protests I bet the investigation would have been finished by today and officer friendly would be back at work keeping the streets clean of thugs.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

@Beorn, I don't know if you're aware of this yet, but there's some racism involved.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that the DOJ will step in and start supervising Ferguson PD and/or St. Louis county under a consent decree similar to what they did with LAPD and are currently doing for Oakland PD. Call it a hunch.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that the DOJ will step in and start supervising Ferguson PD and/or St. Louis county under a consent decree similar to what they did with LAPD and are currently doing for Oakland PD. Call it a hunch.
    We'll see.

They need to get a special prosecutor appointed.

I certainly don't trust prosecutor Bob McCullough who has had 5 family members at some point work for the Ferguson PD.

Bar Association Calls On Prosecutor To Recuse Himself From Ferguson Investigation

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I certainly don't trust prosecutor Bob McCullough who has had 5 family members at some point work for the Ferguson PD.
    I don't trust Eric Holder, and I don't think you do either. Sometimes there are no good options.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

The bizarre American practice of electing Sherrifs and Judicial Officers only leads to corruption.

Liberal democracy is based on the Limitation of Powers. And the Limitation of Powers is based on the Separation of Powers.

So the power of our elected representatives is separate from judicial power and the power of police.

So electing Sherrifs and Judicial Officers is not liberal democratic and leads to corruption.