User Tag List

123 Last

Default Iraq War, Second Act

Congratulations.

WASHINGTON — American warplanes struck Sunni militant positions in northern Iraq on Friday, the Pentagon said in a statement, confirming the first significant American military operation since ground troops left Iraq in 2011.

Rear Admiral John Kirby, the Pentagon Press Secretary, said that two F-18 fighters dropped 500-pound laser-guided bombs on a mobile artillery target near Erbil. Militants of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria were using the artillery to shell Kurdish forces defending Erbil, Admiral Kirby said in a statement.

The strike followed President Obama’s announcement Thursday night that he had authorized limited air strikes to protect American citizens in Erbil and Baghdad, and, if necessary, to break the siege of tens of thousand of refugees stranded on Mount Sinjar in northern Iraq.

“As the president made clear, the United States military will continue to take direct action against ISIL when they threaten our personnel and facilities,” Admiral Kirby said, referring to the Islamic militants.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/09/wo...iraq.html?_r=0

MBTI
    INTP

So long as its limited to airstrikes and (possibly in the future) special forces, I have no objections.....after ISIS started winning against the Peshmerga, the strategic value of actively containing ISIS became greater than the expense of limited engagement. Its also worth noting that ISIS is exceptionally god-awful, making it hard to argue that intervention at the behest of regional authorities is morally objectionable compared to any of the alternatives. All that said, any significant army on the ground had damn well better be some combination of Arab, Kurdish, and Turkish, with no Americans outside of small bands of the aforementioned special forces.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Wouldn't that be the third act?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I fully support the murder of Muslims who feel they have the right to kill Christians/Non-Muslims for being Christians/Non-Muslims.

Notice the sentence is restrictive.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I hate to say it, but I am stuffing my head in the sand about this and pretty much anything that is going on in the middle east. I want the western world out of there.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I hate to say it, but I am stuffing my head in the sand about this and pretty much anything that is going on in the middle east. I want the western world out of there.
    at where does the front end, post-globalization

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    This would be the 4th film in the series. After the Iraq "trilogy" was wrapped up, movie execs decided they weren't through with capitalizing on the success of the franchise, so this is the crappy film we are getting a la Alien Resurrection.

Think about it. Iraq War #1 aka Persian Gulf War is more or less Star Wars A New Hope, where evil is defeated but the bad guy still lives at the end. #2 is when the heroic son of Bush must confront the villain, but it all ends on a down note circa 2006-8, because that's what life is: a series of down endings. film No. 3 is when the new hero, Obama, triumphantly brings all the troops home just in time to give him something to mention in stump speeches during the coming campaign. Fuck it, let's make a 4th film and come up with some new bad guy and lame situation for the brave American heroes to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    No. What you consider the first act was just another play with the same subject.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I called for Obama to act in Iraq the night before he made the announcement; frankly, I'm a bit surprised (pleasantly so) that he acted. Of course we should bomb ISIS; we helped put them in power by cutting and running.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata View Post
    at where does the front end, post-globalization
    Just today we have muslims on the streets of Canberra inciting hatred against Jews, Americans and Australian running dogs.