12 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Nine-Year-Old Dies, Father Hides Death for Four Days

Story that broke over the weekend, and now seems to be national news, back in my old neck of the woods:
    Neighbor helped mother clean feces-covered room after Jarrod Tutko Jr.'s death | PennLive.com

Just... wow.

I actually lived about three blocks from this house (from 2009-2010), and about six blocks away from 2008-2009, so I know the area pretty well. in fact, it's creepy to GoogleMaps the 2100 block of Green Street, and the first thing I see (across Maclay street) is the laundromat where I typically did my laundry every week. So yeah, this happened within a block of where I did my laundry.

Green Street's a weird street in Harrisburg, running parallel to the river. It's not a "danger level" of the degree of the shady parts of Baltimore [as a comparison between the two cities, Harrisburg's "Rush Hour" amounts to about 40 minutes of heavy traffic on a 2-3 lane highway for a stretch of 7-8 miles, while Baltimore has four lanes of traffic with a rush hour wrapping for miles around the city and runs from about 3-6pm; I kinda laugh now at areas that used to scare me in Harrisburg], but it's one of the places where you can feel safe walking for one block down the street, then feel the need to cut over a street and then cut back another two blocks down "just in case." So some blocks are inhabited by more upscale urban dwellers looking for urban charm, and some blocks are lived in by squatters and low economic class from month to month. You get a wide degree of income class levels on this street, which runs the length of the city.

Rather than being purposefully abusive, it sounds more to me like parents who did not have the money or energy to care for so many disabled children in one home (realistically -- I have had one special needs kid with physical, not mental, problems to deal with, and it was exhausting) and yet tried... and these kids should have really been placed in full-time care facilities. And I don't know if the exhaustion and stress contributed, but the dad made some poor decisions / deteriorated to the point where the son died and then he continued to make bad decisions about how to handle it.

More disconcerting is that they were investigated back in December 2013, but services were terminated -- i.e., they pulled back out and said everything was okay. I have a hard time imagining everything went to hell in the space of seven months, even if the original charge that brought Child Services out found that allegation to not be credible. And the parents apparently had three children with severe disabilities (out of six). I can't imagine how they could have bourne up under that in those conditions, even the thought of it sounds overwhelming to me, having raised three kids, one of them with physical disabilities that left him in need of daily treatment and a host of medication.

Dauphin County investigated alleged abuse at Tutko home last year | PennLive.com

Not even sure what question I'm trying to answer here.... just vocalizing...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

wow. yeah, it sounds like the parents were overwhelmed. i can't imagine what life in that home was/is like. God bless that sweet neighbor for helping the mom out. i wonder why they took services away from the family, and what services they were receiving. it sounds like they were in dire need of some help with caretaking, which i would think anyone in their position would be.

it's sad that the boy had to die and that they seem to be living in such poor conditions. i hope that people can suspend some of their judgment and try to learn from this.

the thing that struck me was the way they described special services being revoked. they simply notified the family that they were being discontinued and offered them the right to appeal. i can't imagine this family had the extra time, money, or energy to go through a process of appealing, making a case, going to appointments, filling out documents, etc. when i imagine every day was like treading water for them. i also can sympathize with the parents *wanting* to be able to care for their children, and maybe trying beyond where they should have stopped.

very sobering story. thanks for sharing.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm currently in contact with a good friend of mine (we went to high school together) who at least used to do social work in Harrisburg and also deals with autism cases (since she has experience with that). I can't quite see the face of one of the social workers leaving the house, in the one picture, but that might actually be her. I was wondering what she knew/thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    wow. yeah, it sounds like the parents were overwhelmed. i can't imagine what life in that home was/is like. God bless that sweet neighbor for helping the mom out.
    You mean the 21-year-old? Yes, she seemed to be a good friend and actually engaging with the mother, to help her get through all this and having been in the house and better understanding the situation. It's such a tragic/bad situation, it's easy to just label people; but I'm glad there's someone there who was just willing to engage and be part of her life at this time.

the thing that struck me was the way they described special services being revoked. they simply notified the family that they were being discontinued and offered them the right to appeal. i can't imagine this family had the extra time, money, or energy to go through a process of appealing, making a case, going to appointments, filling out documents, etc. when i imagine every day was like treading water for them. i also can sympathize with the parents *wanting* to be able to care for their children, and maybe trying beyond where they should have stopped.
    Yeah. I am curious to see if my friend has anything she can say to me about it.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

this actually is a good argument for raising minimum wage and taxing the shit out of multibillion dollar corporations amd rebudgeting. because probably part of the reason they lost services is because even when people have jobs they still have to rely on services because of wages. and this may have not happened, still might have but less likely as I'm assuming services either equals extra money in which they could hire help or actual help. I'm wondering if they didn't terminate services because there just isn't money and thought maybe this family will be ok, but they weren't. so if there's less people in the system the better. (ok this really belongs in another thread, and I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me)
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    DEUS

The room where Jarrod Jr. lived in the 2100 block of Green Street was hot, the neighbor said, and the air contaminated with methane and carbon dioxide from the feces.

She said she lit an incense stick to try to cover some of the stench, and nearly set the closet on fire—an indication of the poor air quality.

The neighbor chipped off dried fecal matter, inches thick, from a light switch and cut up carpeting stained with fecal matter, revealing other layers of flooring and old fecal matter.

"I was slipping and sliding on piles of it," she said. "The father said he cleaned the room every week, but there's no way."
    This was indeed a failure on part of the state -- failure to remove the kids.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

This is yet another reason why we should bring back marriage licenses and start having universal genetic testing.

These two would probably never have had any children. You cannot have that many disabled kids without having some serious DNA damage and/or STDs...

MBTI
    DEUS

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    You cannot have that many disabled kids without having some serious DNA damage and/or STDs...
    Yes, you can, but they should probably have had serious reservations after the first, and stopped completely after the second.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Yes, you can, but they should probably have had serious reservations after the first, and stopped completely after the second.
    The probablity would be very low indeed so for all practical purposes we can discount it.

For them to have had five children, the female must've been young. Random, somatic mutations in offspring only start accelerating above age 30 (it's one reason why women should be encouraged to have children younger). Preexisting genetic damage seems most likely to me.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    This was indeed a failure on part of the state -- failure to remove the kids.
    Yeah, I have no ideas of the details.

My friend I checked with has moved into working with autistic youth now and so doesn't have any real additional insight other than being heartbroken over reading about it.

But it sounds like a crazy situation -- six kids, three with disabilities.

Then again, each state runs its business separately (it's state, not federal), and the US in general has a lot of leniency for parental autonomy, from home schooling that might not pass muster to returning foster kids to bio parents simply due to the biological relation, even if they'd be better off elsewhere. I have first-hand observations of those kinds of incidents as well.

At least on the casual level, eugenics is not viewed positively by the US populace. People don't like being told who they can or can't marry or what/how many kids they can have.

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Arianna, she said, was born a normal baby, but suffered a fever-induced seizure to set her on a path of devastating health complications. Now 10, she is in a vegetative state, confined to a hospital bed and hooked up to tubes and monitors.

Deanna, 13, is deaf, a condition she developed after a severe bout with the flu. Aaron, 12, has developmental disabilities; Braelyn, 6, has autism; Makayla, 3, appears to be a healthy child. And then there was Jarrod, who at 11 months, failing to grow, was diagnosed with Fragile X syndrome, a genetic defect along the autism spectrum that left her son intellectually disabled and with behavioral and learning challenges.
    Some of the children weren't born with their disabilities; they were brought about by complications from other illnesses. Hard to tell whether the complications were due in part to the parents' failure to properly handle their illnesses earlier.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics