First 45678 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Imagine I am a writer. And I am aware that everything I write is influenced by Shakespeare. How can I free myself from the influence of Shakespeare? How can I kill Shakespeare?

Imagine I am a non American but I am aware the I am surrounded by Americana: American history, American products, and American ideology. How can I free myself from America to be myself? How can I kill America metaphorically, just as I need to kill Shakespeare metaphorically?

I know you want me to boost your American self esteem, so perhaps the comparison between America and Shakespeare will suffice.
    All of our products are Chinese. Why are they sending American products to Australia, and Chinese products to America?

Nah, I think all of your products are Chinese, just like ours are, and that you are exaggerating the influence of America.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    All of our products are Chinese. Why are they sending American products to Australia, and Chinese products to America?

Nah, I think all of your products are Chinese, just like ours are, and that you are exaggerating the influence of America.
    Probably not.

Consider the influence of American power through hard power, soft power, and the power of the English language.

We do buy and sell with China to our advantage, but we identify with American culture not Chinese culture.

As they say, we all have two cultures, our own and American.

This is fine, but if we want a living Australia culture, we need to devote our resources to developing our own culture.

This begins with making the distinction between American and Australian culture. We can't expect Americans to do this. We must do it ourselves.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    My points aren't made to show off what should be legal or not.. just to illustrate why the pill form is a viable medicine vs people using marijuana smoke and recreational usage. The thing is.. most of the people that qualify in non-legal states for the THC medicinal pill aren't really in a condition where they wouldn't trade it for health and no marijuana. There's a lot of benefits for using the pill that just aren't there in smoke form.

Smoking is bad for you. It's been linked to nearly every risk factor in every disease ever. That's just how it is. COPD isn't formulated by ANYTHING nearly as much as smoking. Cigarette has a lot more chemicals than marijuana.. but the carbon monoxide? Marijuana has cigarettes beat there. And the CO is what causes a lot of the imbalances in oxygen exchange, which can cause all sorts of issues. I don't think things should be illegal solely because they're bad for you.. but I don't deny smoking is bad for you either. I'd prefer people got their highs from consuming the stuff rather than smoking it.
    You do know there are other ways to consume marijuana besides smoking it or buying a pill, right? My problem with Mole's position is that he supports a strict government monopoly on production and distribution, giving the pharmaceutical industry a cut. That's fascism and it would just lead to another black market, which leads to more violence, poor quality, etc. Regulate it more like we regulate alcohol. There is no government monopoly on the production and distribution of alcohol.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Probably not.

Consider the influence of American power through hard power, soft power, and the power of the English language.

We do buy and sell with China to our advantage, but we identify with American culture not Chinese culture.

As they say, we all have two cultures, our own and American.

This is fine, but if we want a living Australia culture, we need to devote our resources to developing our own culture.

This begins with making the distinction between American and Australian culture. We can't expect Americans to do this. We must do it ourselves.
    I think you are exaggerating the influence of American culture. For example, I have seen one Australian movie in my entire life, and I could only understand about 5% of the things spoken in it due to the heavy Aussie accent and use of slang terms. Also, Australia has its origin in English culture and has never quite broken away from this the way America did over 200 years ago. So I would need some specific examples of America's influence over Australia.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You do know there are other ways to consume marijuana besides smoking it or buying a pill, right?
    Yup. Hence why I said "I'd prefer people got their highs from consuming the stuff rather than smoking it."
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Default Septics

I would need some specific examples of America's influence over Australia.
    The ANZUS military treaty with the US forms the basis of our defence posture.

Our Antarctic treatry with the US supports our claim of half of Antarctica and the surrounding seas. Our claim to Antarctica is a big as the Continent of Australia itself.

Our free trade treaty with the US guarantees our technological and economic competitiveness.

Our intelligence treaty with the US gives us a global intelligence reach and is invaluable.

We are suffused with American popular culture from movies, to music, to politics, to art, to ideas and philosophy.

We share the Common Law with the US and decisions in US courts influence decisions in our courts.

We are early adopters of American technology whether it is the latest stealth planes and drones, weapons control in our submarines, or high tech electronics.

We work with the Americans in global diplomacy in a number of international bodies.

We have fought beside you in every major conflict in the last 100 years.

In our deprecating humour, we call you, Septics, as in rhyming slang, Septic Tank rhymes with Yank.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

The ANZUS military treaty with the US forms the basis of our defence posture.

Our Antarctic treatry with the US supports our claim of half of Antarctica and the surrounding seas. Our claim to Antarctica is a big as the Continent of Australia itself.

Our free trade treaty with the US guarantees our technological and economic competitiveness.

Our intelligence treaty with the US gives us a global intelligence reach and is invaluable.

We are suffused with American popular culture from movies, to music, to politics, to art, to ideas and philosophy.

We share the Common Law with the US and decisions in US courts influence decisions in our courts.

We are early adopters of American technology whether it is the latest stealth planes and drones, weapons control in our submarines, or high tech electronics.

We work with the Americans in global diplomacy in a number of international bodies.

We have fought beside you in every major conflict in the last 100 years.

In our deprecating humour, we call you, Septics, as in rhyming slang, Septic Tank rhymes with Yank.

Everywhere we go in the USA we see the flag of the USA, the Stars and Stripes, displayed. The flag is displayed on houses, businesses, sporting events, cars, clothing, everywhere and anywhere.

On the other hand, the Australian flag, the Union Jack with the Southern Cross and the Star of Federation, is only displayed with due respect. We do not use the Australian flag to sell products. We do not use the Australian flag to display a cheap and low jingoism.

So Americans routinely debase their flag, while Australians instinctively treat our flag with due respect.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Everywhere we go in the USA we see the flag of the USA, the Stars and Stripes, displayed. The flag is displayed on houses, businesses, sporting events, cars, clothing, everywhere and anywhere.

On the other hand, the Australian flag, the Union Jack with the Southern Cross and the Star of Federation, is only displayed with due respect. We do not use the Australian flag to sell products. We do not use the Australian flag to display a cheap and low jingoism.

So Americans routinely debase their flag, while Australians instinctively treat our flag with due respect.
    That idea of respect makes no sense. Besides, you won't see the American flag being displayed everywhere you go in the US, not since shortly after 9/11.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge