User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you personally offended by the picture?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes absolutely. It's offensive and done in bad taste.

3 8.82%
  • I find it very distasteful, but I'm pretending I'm not personally affected.

2 5.88%
  • eh... I can understand people being offended but I really just don't care.

12 35.29%
  • No, people can't tell people when to smile in pictures or not. It's just a picture.

16 47.06%
  • I probably would have done this tbh.

3 8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default Is taking a selfie at a concentration camp offensive?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrel...iting?s=mobile

Source.

Basically this tween girl went to a concentration camp, tweeted a photo of her smiling, and a month later everyone is super pissed.

She claims that her father and her wanted to visit it together, but he died before he made it so she was smiling for him.

No right or wrong answer here.. I'd prefer to hear from people personally affected by WW2 concentration camps somehow. .. similar to how the opinion of native Americans matter more to me on if the word redskin is offensive. But feel free to vote and participate anyways.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

I don't think it's offensive. Bunch of oversensitive bastards, not like she honored the killings or anything. Even then - to each his and her own. Someone having a wrongful opinion doesn't hinder the fight for objective fairness! It just makes the person look stupid.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

No... especially because she's a tween. I have a way of breaking out into laughter at inappropriate times, myself.

Once, in high school, someone gave a report about some earthquake in some other part of the world. My mind was elsewhere, as it often is, and I busted out into laughter. Thank God I never had to attend many religious services, or I don't know what I would have done.

There's so much stuff that's actually wrong with the world that I find it curious that people focus on trivial incidents like this, where no harm was intended, and no harm was actually done.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    yupp

What bothers me is the fact that people say you have to be sad at a site or an event cause something tragic happened. That's not really how things work. You actually have to laugh during tragedies (not in a disrespectful way) and plus she wasn't alive during wwII so she doesn't know anyone who was in the camp. It's terrible that it happened. that's like me crying because one of your grandma's passed I've never met her. and yeah I'm not happy about it but I'm also not sad nor mourning because I never met her so therefore can't miss her.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    There's so much stuff that's actually wrong with the world that I find it curious that people focus on trivial incidents like this, where no harm was intended, and no harm was actually done.
    Because it gives them something to do, that to them, seems important. So they can have a nice moral outrage at something insignificant and they don't even have to get up from their chairs.

Much easier than actually having to sacrifice comfort for a bit of change in the world. Think of it as the emotional equivalent of shaking a big bunch of car keys in front of a babies face.

Not that I'm doing much to help the world either, but hey, this is my lazy 'sitting-on-the-chair-moralising-about-skewed-priorties' moment.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Care-o-meter: 0.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Because it gives them something to do, that to them, seems important. So they can have a nice moral outrage at something insignificant and they don't even have to get up from their chairs.

Much easier than actually having to sacrifice comfort for a bit of change in the world. Think of it as the emotional equivalent of shaking a big bunch of car keys in front of a babies face.

Not that I'm doing much to help the world either, but hey, this is my lazy 'sitting-on-the-chair-moralising-about-skewed-priorties' moment.
    I think the same thing. And yeah, I don't do much to help the world, either. The only people who I could see who might actually be offended by this is a survivor, and how many of them are on Twitter? I wouldn't even know where this photo was taken if that information wasn't provided.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz
    What bothers me is the fact that people say you have to be sad at a site or an event cause something tragic happened. That's not really how things work. You actually have to laugh during tragedies (not in a disrespectful way
    Agreed. This is why I like the Irish attitude towards funerals.

It's kind of a tangent, but I think gallows humor is a valuable coping mechanism.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    yupp

It's kind of a tangent, but I think gallows humor is a valuable coping mechanism.
    *googles irish funeral*
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Yeah it's just one of those things, you can't tell people how to feel. Although some people try really hard.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

"selfie" is such an annoyingly loaded word now. she took a picture at a historic site to commemorate her visit. this has been happening for, like, ever. now instead of getting it developed and putting in a family photo album, we take a selfie and put it on twitter. whatever.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.