User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you personally offended by the picture?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes absolutely. It's offensive and done in bad taste.

3 8.82%
  • I find it very distasteful, but I'm pretending I'm not personally affected.

2 5.88%
  • eh... I can understand people being offended but I really just don't care.

12 35.29%
  • No, people can't tell people when to smile in pictures or not. It's just a picture.

16 47.06%
  • I probably would have done this tbh.

3 8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

so really it's motive? that's what I gathered.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I wondered what the issue was: including oneself in a photo of a site of tragedy, or smiling in the photo, or??? Is a somber selfie OK? Seems much more important that people are visiting places like concentration camps. The people criticising this girl's photo would do better to contemplate the bigger issues suggested by a visit to such locations.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

I can understand why people would find this offensive or even hurtful, but the reaction is just excessive. Yes, it was stupid of her to post the picture on Twitter and it's fair that she face criticism for it, but it's possible to criticize someone's actions without hurling personal attacks/abuse at them.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by underwaterthing View Post
    I can understand why people would find this offensive or even hurtful, but the reaction is just excessive. Yes, it was stupid of her to post the picture on Twitter and it's fair that she face criticism for it, but it's possible to criticize someone's actions without hurling personal attacks/abuse at them.
    It's a long boring bus ride there in freaking Poland (she's American, quite a distance to travel) and it's a sobering horror show.

She paid her respects, and I'm guessing not a single tard that has criticized her can say the same.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I can see both sides here. I can see how people might assume this young girl didn't understand the serious nature of what occurred there, and so were therefore offended, because Lord knows I am the hugest defender of the idea that those who don't remember history are doomed to repeat it...but on the other hand now that she explained her personal reason, it seems perfectly reasonable that she would smile for her father.

I think people are alarmed in general by young people who are dulled to the suffering of others to almost Roman colleseum proportions (filming injured or dying people instead of helping them, etc) and recent studies have linked selfies to increased narcissistic tendencies. So people jump on things like this, even when the party in question is an innocent tween girl smiling for her deceased father.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I wondered what the issue was: including oneself in a photo of a site of tragedy, or smiling in the photo, or??? Is a somber selfie OK? Seems much more important that people are visiting places like concentration camps. The people criticising this girl's photo would do better to contemplate the bigger issues suggested by a visit to such locations.
    Yeah I am pretty sure they ARE contemplating bigger issues and that's why they're offended.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I wasn't aware that there was proper selfie etiquette. I think this is just phoney outrage from the PC brigade - lots of twisted people out there just itching to be "offended" so they can attack someone. The selfie tweeter should tell these people to go F themselves.
    I don't think the outrage is phony. I get the feeling it doesn't occur to you as a thinking type yet that some people are constantly weighing the moral or ethical impact of people's actions, and it's not always because it's what other people might think of them, but because they honestly read into the broader ethical impact or even see a pattern of behavior in culture that you might not notice with that inf Ne.

Sure, I agree some people jumped the gun and were too hard on her, that's ridiculous, we can agree, but I can see exactly why the image standing alone with no other information would bother people, because of what it IMPLIES.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by underwaterthing View Post
    She's not a real person. It's the internet. She's a symbol of what they assumed was another self absorbed young rich Westerner seeing the entire world as a giant selfie opportunity.

MBTI
    ENTP

She isn't even really smiling. People enjoy righteous anger.